Breaking in shoes (Read 908 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Today's running shoes do not have to be "broken in". They are almost always as "safe" right out of the box as they will be after 100 miles. Although rare, since they are hand stitched it is possible to have a rough seam on the inside that could rub your foot and cause a blister. Thus, it's a good idea to run a few times in them before the marathon to make sure that they don't have such a flaw. I liked to run marathons in new shoes after having run 25-50 miles in them. I once ran a marathon in a new pair right out of the box with no problems.
    if they do have this seam (and cause blisters on my arches) how can I correct this problem without making them expensive gym shoes?
      Wear double layer high tech socks, which will moderate rubbing. Limit the "problem" shoes to short distances for awhile. The rough seam will become smoother. It's a good idea to rotate two or more pair of shoes, anyway. In any event, it's very rare for the problem to arise.

Oh Mighty Wing

oh it arose!! And i've been wearing them to the gym with no discomfort... might try them on a run tomorrow - have only worn them once since the blisters - a month ago.
        finney

Resident pinniped

I have never run a marathon. That said: I did run a 10k in a brand new pair of shoes once. Same model, make, year, etc as my old pair. They were exactly the same shoe. EXCEPT - something was wrong with the heel of the right shoe. I ran/walked the race from the 2nd mile and still finished with a VERY bloody sock. As has already been said, the odds of something like this happening are slim, but I'm living proof that it DOES happen. Honestly if your shoes have 800 miles on them and they're giving you pain, you should have replaced them LONG ago and then you wouldn't be having this problem. I guess let it be a lesson to you. The choice of course, is yours. But honestly, if you think there's any way you can finish the marathon in your old shoes w/o doing irreparable damage to yourself, run in the old shoes.