Electrolyte replacement? (Read 1202 times)

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I have not worried about electrolyte replacement because usually I run when it is cool.  I used to use Gatorade when I biked a lot, but I don't need the calories.

Now that it is really hot in the mornings too I think I might need an electrolyte replacement.

What  works best for this?

Bill Wagnon / stl

bhearn

How long are you running? 

"Electrolyte replacement drinks" are a misnomer. There is no such thing.

(1) Sweating *increases* your electrolyte levels, because sweat is less salty than your blood.

(2) You can't actually replace electrolytes with a sports drink anyway, because sports drinks are even less salty than sweat.

Drink too much of anything, water or Gatorade, and you can wind up with hyponatremia.

That said... if it's hot, and you're running a long way, you'll want to drink something, preferably something with carbs, like Gatorade. And you might as well get some electrolytes back that way as well, otherwise you'll dilute your blood even more. For ultramarathon distances, and maybe for marathons, you will want salt tablets (and solid food as well, at ultras).

Useful reading:

(Science of Sport) A look at sweating, drinking and the role of electrolytes in sports drinks

Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I'm doing 8 miles on mornings when it's cool, under 750F, and I seem to be okay with that.  I try to drink a lot of plain water during the day.

Weekends I'm going 10 or 12 miles (~ 2 hours) and the temps are higher, and I'm in the sun more..  Usually there is a water stop at about 6 miles in, so I have a chance to drink water.  Typically I lose about a pound every half hour (4 lbs total) on these runs. 

After the run I seem to have a 'different' feeling than when it is cool, like I am dehydrated or not holding on to water or something vague like that.

Today it was hotter than usual, maybe 85F, and my calves are very crampy now but then I also had a one mile race yesterday.

I will check out the links.

Is this even something I need to worry about for my current distance?

MTA  - from the links it sounds like I will be fine drinking when I feel thirsty. Thank you Bob.

Bill Wagnon / stl

I was put onto nuun, but they haven't arrived yet. I have sustained energy too, but that's for beyond 3 hours as it has protein in it. Gatorade is sugar water
          xor

Gatorade is sugar water plus electrolytes.

NUUN is sugar-free water plus electrolytes.

Read Bob's links. 

Between the two, I'd rather have gatorade and it isn't close.

bhearn

Between the two, I'd rather have gatorade and it isn't close.

+1. An argument can be made for Nuun or Ultima in some training contexts. But there are actual marathons that serve Ultima / Nuun. In a marathon. Energy drink... with no energy. Those RDs should be shot.

I'm a big fan of Hammer Nutrition and their products, including endurolytes. Check out their web page (www.hammernutrition.com) for recommendations on product usage. I usually don't worry about electrolyte replacement on workouts shorter than one hour.

There's so much stuff out there it's hard to know what to buy. All I know is that gu beyond mi 20 is not a good choice for me. My logical next choice is less sugary goodness
                  xor

There's so much stuff out there it's hard to know what to buy. All I know is that gu beyond mi 20 is not a good choice for me. My logical next choice is less sugary goodness

I'm puzzled by a few things.

You ordered NUUN because it has protein in it.  What product is this?.... none of the NUUN products I've seen have calories of any form.

If you are wanting to take in calories on runs longer than 3 hours, why would you do this with protein?  (which, again, I don't think NUUN has)

I suppose by "less sugary goodness" perhaps you are having a blood sugar/insulin thing? 

I dunno. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

How long are you running? 

"Electrolyte replacement drinks" are a misnomer. There is no such thing.

(1) Sweating *increases* your electrolyte levels, because sweat is less salty than your blood.

(2) You can't actually replace electrolytes with a sports drink anyway, because sports drinks are even less salty than sweat.

Drink too much of anything, water or Gatorade, and you can wind up with hyponatremia.

That said... if it's hot, and you're running a long way, you'll want to drink something, preferably something with carbs, like Gatorade. And you might as well get some electrolytes back that way as well, otherwise you'll dilute your blood even more. For ultramarathon distances, and maybe for marathons, you will want salt tablets (and solid food as well, at ultras).

Useful reading:

(Science of Sport) A look at sweating, drinking and the role of electrolytes in sports drinks

Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports

Are you saying that at shorter distances than marathon, regardless of temps / humidity, one shouldn't take something like s-caps?

I'm confused.  But then that isn't unusual Confused

steph  

I'm puzzled by a few things.

You ordered NUUN because it has protein in it.  What product is this?.... none of the NUUN products I've seen have calories of any form.

If you are wanting to take in calories on runs longer than 3 hours, why would you do this with protein?  (which, again, I don't think NUUN has)

I suppose by "less sugary goodness" perhaps you are having a blood sugar/insulin thing? 

I dunno. 

have you ever noticed that whenever I post you challenge me?  You have the hots for me don't you?  You wanna ask me out.

I think you're blending my two sentences together.  I was put onto nuun because gu makes me sick after a while, but Mr Amazon hasn't delivered them yet.  I also bought Sustained Energy (flavorless, smells like fish food) for ultra training, but I get the idea it's not for every day use because websites recommend it beyond 3 hours, Hammer recommends it beyond 90 mins (at least that isn't MY every day).  Why do i do it with protein?  I don't know, I got suckered into some posts on an ultra running website where people swore by the product and the amazon reviews said the same comments.  I'm not going to give you the sales schpeal, it's just general product claims that showed a product a little different than some others. 

No I'm having a 'nice to see you again breakfast' thing.

Feeling the growl again

Are you saying that at shorter distances than marathon, regardless of temps / humidity, one shouldn't take something like s-caps?

I'm confused.  But then that isn't unusual Confused

As usual, I'm going to take a bit of an exception with the Science of Sport discussion.

Their premise is that sweating puts out water faster than salt (concentration of salt in sweat is lower than blood), so the net effect is that you actually increase the concentration of salt in your blood.  OK.  However in the course of the article, they several times confuse their references to concentration vs total amount of salt, even bolding that you aren't LOSING salt when you sweat.  Actually, as their own tables show, you are, 10% of the total in their example in fact, it's just that the concentration has gone up in a lower volume.  That's confusing, as is the fact that they can't even keep the order of the rows in their tables the same.

They go on to point out how "drinking too much water" can put you dangerously low on sodium, focusing on how too much water is the problem.  Well, one could easily point out that if their hypothetical runner had taken salt tabs that keeping their fluids topped off would not have put them in a dangerous situation!  So I don't totally buy their argument.

But yes, in shorter races, unless you start out low you are unlikely going to lose enough salt to really impede your performance.  But one should also not treat someone running a 2:30 marathon on an 80F day the same as they treat a 4:00 marathoner on that day.  The 4:00 marathoner is going to have very different requirements.

The longer you are out there, the bigger issue the salt depletion is (duh).  Science of Sport likes to focus on the salt concentration not going down, but the fact is over time you are depleting your salt and that needs to be replaced if you're out there a long time.  Otherwise as you reach the point where you must also replace fluids, you run a greater and greater chance of reaching a dangerously low salt concentration.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

As usual, I'm going to take a bit of an exception with the Science of Sport discussion.

Well, one could easily point out that if their hypothetical runner had taken salt tabs that keeping their fluids topped off would not have put them in a dangerous situation!  So I don't totally buy their argument.

But one should also not treat someone running a 2:30 marathon on an 80F day the same as they treat a 4:00 marathoner on that day.  The 4:00 marathoner is going to have very different requirements.

The longer you are out there, the bigger issue the salt depletion is (duh).  Science of Sport likes to focus on the salt concentration not going down, but the fact is over time you are depleting your salt and that needs to be replaced if you're out there a long time.  Otherwise as you reach the point where you must also replace fluids, you run a greater and greater chance of reaching a dangerously low salt concentration.

Spaniel,

I like your response.  I'm not smart enough to understand much, but too many people have said things that seem to be much different from what is typically said within these forums relating to fluid intake.

I believe you said what I've gathered from others while I was doing my Ironman training. 

I try to stay out of debate, but I also *sometime* enjoy reading the debate.  I look forward to SRLopez's response to AussieGirl Smile

Cheers,
                            Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Science of Sport was looking at the value of sports drinks in replacing electrolytes during a two hour run.  Their conclusions were that: sports drinks do not replace electrolytes, you should drink to thirst, and salt tabs are a waste of money.

Makes sense to me.

To the OP:  Before and during runs in the summer time, I just drink water.  In years past, this has worked just fine for me with runs up to 3 hours. As for electrolytes I try to make sure I get enough salt in my diet in general, eat bananas, etc.

Runners run

xor

AussieGirl, for the record, most of the time that you post, I completely ignore it.  Which I will now do 100% of the time.

Also, what mikey said.