Is weight really a big factor on speed and performance? (Read 883 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I started running last year at 266lbs, now I am down to 196lbs, and I have reached a kind of plateau. I cant seem to get any further with the weight loss. I read somewhere though I can't rmember where that for every 3 lbs of weight loss this is relative to an improvement of one notch up in VDOT, which really excites me as this is a considerable improvement in running times. So therefore does this mean if i lost another say 27lbs, I would go up 9 notches? and therefore have a decent 10K time? My current record is about 45 mins, so with this improvement I would go under 40 mins. It's just that everyone keeps telling me i look fine and that I dont need to lose anymore, but they dont understand how I want to peak with my performance, and I believe my current weight is too much to run as fast as I can. What do you guys think and how can I lose more weight? Many thanks, Would be good to hear from you guys who have gone from similar weights of 200lbs to 170lbs and how it has impacted on performance.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Me and my gang in Breck

I'm one of those guy's. I was around 215-220 lb's 2 years ago. I lost most of the weight the first year. I've been running the entire time and I did change my diet. The weight loss has slowed down the last year. 12 months ago I was 190 lb's and a lot slower (not that I'm fast now). Right now I weigh between 173-177 depending on the time of day and so on. I know I could easily loss 8 more lb's and I probally will over the next year. 20 years ago I weighed 165 and I was in great shape. I definetily think that you would be faster if you were lighter. Try running around with 10 or 20 lb's on your back. How much faster is hard to say but their are calculators if you search around on the internet. Even if you don't lose another pound if you keep increasing your training your gonna get faster. If you keep on running and keep healthy and increase your training you will lose more weight, it's just going to be much slower. I was working out with weights and running at first and that really sheds the pounds but now I am strickly running. I hope this is helpful. Good Luck! Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Slow-smooth-fast

thanks for the response, appreciate it. I had a look at your log and you have improved. well done

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Go Pre!

Very tricky. You may have to go with the 'take in less calories than you burn' factor. Maybe means no races for a while or reduced energy for those races. Concentrate on getting into your fat burning zone areas of your workouts. Also a great way to burn fat is intervals. Having said that, you may not have much more room to budge as far as losing fat. Your picture looks like you are about down to the smallest Eddy we'll ever know in which case you have to accept the fact that some runners have been blessed with the ultimate skeletal frames and the rest of us just do the best we can Smile Then SS1's thoughts ring true that it will be up to your training to bring your times down. More speedwork mileage is the answer. Good luck Paul! I am in the same boat. 242lbs last year and I have to work hard to keep it under 200 now. I do still enjoy beer and ice cream! Dave
            Can't comment on weight loss from personal experience, but this question was in one of the features of Runner's World last month. They said a typical person will increase their speed 1-2 seconds per pound lost per mile. So dropping 2 pounds could improve your 5k time by up to 6 seconds, for instance. I'll see if I can find the article tonight, and read if there were any more details or references given, but I'm pretty sure that was the bottom line. Losing 27 lbs, under that formula could net you between 2 and 4 minutes off your time in a 10k, so that seems significant to me, but may or may not push you under 40 by itself. But it would be close!

Slow-smooth-fast

will have to see how it goes as i dont think eating any less will help as i have been doing all the mileage whilst folllowing weight watchers , and i know for a fact that i have not been eating enough. I am actually gonna tailor my diet from now on to that of a runner, to what i need to perform, and not starve myself, as i have been doing. I know the weight will come off I will just have to be patient.

I read that article in RW too. It did say your pace could improve 1-2 secs per minute per mile. Up to a point. We discussed it at length in the Jiggly Joggers group a while ago, but I can't seem to find the thread. I did save a link to a calculator that someone posted in that thread though.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Slow-smooth-fast

si everyone keeps telling me, that I dont need to lose anymore, but I know that I will boost my performance if I do. It's just so hard at the moment, Here is a typical days diet: 7am: Porridge, skimmed milk. 10am: Banana 1pm: 4 Tuna sandwiches, low fat crisps(chips) 4pm: handful fo assirted nuts 7:30 pm: afer my run: Bowl of pasta, or tuna jacket potato, yoghurt. How can I cut down on that. Please help, I cant have reached a plateau because hypothetically everyone is capable of being skeletal! (not that I want to go that far)

Why is it sideways?

Hey Eddy, I can't comment directly on weight loss from personal experience, but as a runner, I'd say you don't need to cut your diet down anymore. But, you could, gradually, add more time spent exercising per week, and I think that would help. I'd recommend, for example, instead of taking 2 days a week off from running, go for an easy 30-45 minute recovery jogs at a slow pace on one or both of those days. I also just wanted to say that you've come a long way, and I'm sure you'll meet your goals if you stay at it!
                      si everyone keeps telling me, that I dont need to lose anymore, but I know that I will boost my performance if I do. It's just so hard at the moment, Here is a typical days diet: 7am: Porridge, skimmed milk. 10am: Banana 1pm: 4 Tuna sandwiches, low fat crisps(chips) 4pm: handful fo assirted nuts 7:30 pm: afer my run: Bowl of pasta, or tuna jacket potato, yoghurt. How can I cut down on that. Please help, I cant have reached a plateau because hypothetically everyone is capable of being skeletal! (not that I want to go that far)
                      Eddy, I agree with Jeff that increasing the mileage will help. There are quite a few people tracking their calories in the Jiggly Joggers group too - I sure know that when I track my intake - I'm surprised that what I thought was so little was actually so much. Just sayin.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?