2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

senatj

There should be no issue with doing this.  I run in that part of the city all the time and you just need to keep an eye out for cars when crossing streets.  In fact, my running group does a group run two weeks before the marathon where we run the last 10 miles with (informal) pace groups. It is a great way to get familiar with the course and to mentally prepare for the gift that awaits at mile 22.5.

-----------------------

I've done the last 12 or so miles a handful of times alone.  It's not unsafe at all, you'll be totally fine.  You could actually run the entire course (IF you were actually able to get over the bridges, which you can't) and be totally safe.  No really sketchy neighborhoods along the way.

Thank you both for the info.  Maybe I'll just bring the family into the city, have them get breakfast / enjoy the park while I hop the subway to mile 12 or 13, and then meet them at the finish.  Decisions, decisions.  I would like to experience some of these hills before the race so hopefully I can plan this.

I'll check out the clubs too, so thanks for that idea!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys. OK with a new addition?  A friend of mine gave me a spot for the race and I guess I am in to run the NYCM one more time.

My husband is so pleased, especially when he asked me not to enter the lottery this year.  Ha.

I am currently training for Chicago and then recover and prepare for NY. I cannot wait!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

senatj

Hi, guys. OK with a new addition?  A friend of mine gave me a spot for the race and I guess I am in to run the NYCM one more time.

Hi Docket_Rocket - welcome to the group!

Docket_Rocket

Hi Docket_Rocket - welcome to the group!

Thanks!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

senatj

I had a great workout this morning - so I wanted to post about it!  Out the door at 6am - pitch black outside.  Starts raining after 10 min or so.  I'm thinking it was supposed to hold off until 8am.  It doesn't and just gets rains harder and harder.

2 mile warm-up, then 4x1.5 miles at MP-10 sec per the Hansons plan.  I had planned to cut the last interval short, but was feeling so good I did most of it.

Anyway, I'm out there, getting soaked but not caring, and liking the 52F cool temps.  I felt a bit crazy (did not pass any other runners today)!  It tuned out to be a great workout, I was going for 7:50 pace but ended up faster  - I guess energized by the rain.  Who knew?

Split Time Distance Avg Pace
            1 09:46.3 1.00 9:47
            2 09:35.1 1.00 9:34
            3 11:32.2 1.50 7:41
            4 04:38.6 0.50 9:16
            5 11:39.8 1.50 7:47
            6 05:07.2 0.50 10:17
            7 11:37.5 1.50 7:45
            8 04:46.6 0.50 9:37
            9 09:45.5 1.25 7:46
            10 07:20.8 0.75 9:49
             Summary 1:25:49.5 10.00 8:35

Can't wait for Nov 2nd!  But as I progress through training, I'm realizing more and more that it's the journey that counts.  Race day will just be icing on the cake.

andyashton

senatj: Nice job!  The cooler weather has been such a welcome change.

I've hit a rough patch this week.  The past three weekends my long runs were 16 (hot & humid), 17 (cool and feeling energized), and 18 (OK until legs locked up at mile 17).  I've been feeling wiped ever since that 18 miler, and today's 8 mile run was no fun.  Thankfully this week is a bit of a step back before the first of two 20 milers.  I keep trying to focus on those runs that felt good, and remembering that more good runs are out there, but I really feel spent at the moment.  On the bright side, my PT told me I should be eating more, so that's something I can get behind!

Julia1971

I had a great workout this morning - so I wanted to post about it!  Out the door at 6am - pitch black outside.  Starts raining after 10 min or so.  I'm thinking it was supposed to hold off until 8am.  It doesn't and just gets rains harder and harder.

2 mile warm-up, then 4x1.5 miles at MP-10 sec per the Hansons plan.  I had planned to cut the last interval short, but was feeling so good I did most of it.

Anyway, I'm out there, getting soaked but not caring, and liking the 52F cool temps.  I felt a bit crazy (did not pass any other runners today)!  It tuned out to be a great workout, I was going for 7:50 pace but ended up faster  - I guess energized by the rain.  Who knew?

Split Time Distance Avg Pace
                1 09:46.3 1.00 9:47
                2 09:35.1 1.00 9:34
                3 11:32.2 1.50 7:41
                4 04:38.6 0.50 9:16
                5 11:39.8 1.50 7:47
                6 05:07.2 0.50 10:17
                7 11:37.5 1.50 7:45
                8 04:46.6 0.50 9:37
                9 09:45.5 1.25 7:46
                10 07:20.8 0.75 9:49
                 Summary 1:25:49.5 10.00 8:35

Can't wait for Nov 2nd!  But as I progress through training, I'm realizing more and more that it's the journey that counts.  Race day will just be icing on the cake.

Good job!  I find rain is a great motivator.  Smile

And, most days I think I enjoy training for marathons more than I like running them.  It's gutting out interval workouts in the rain - when I want to quit but I don't - that I love.

Julia1971

senatj: Nice job!  The cooler weather has been such a welcome change.

I've hit a rough patch this week.  The past three weekends my long runs were 16 (hot & humid), 17 (cool and feeling energized), and 18 (OK until legs locked up at mile 17).  I've been feeling wiped ever since that 18 miler, and today's 8 mile run was no fun.  Thankfully this week is a bit of a step back before the first of two 20 milers.  I keep trying to focus on those runs that felt good, and remembering that more good runs are out there, but I really feel spent at the moment.  On the bright side, my PT told me I should be eating more, so that's something I can get behind!

Sorry to hear about the rough patch but it seems like you're keeping a good attitude about it.  Cooler temperatures are on the way.  And, a license to eat!  Pretty awesome.

Julia1971

I enjoyed your race report Julia.  Great job on tired legs - or fresh legs!   I'm staying at the Wall Street Inn, so I'll be able to just walk to the ferry.  I don't know if they still have rooms, but just an idea for you.  If you're planning on returning to your room after the marathon, its not the best option.

I'm probably going to stay as close to Central Park as I can afford.  Not only for the short post-race walk but I also enjoyed doing my shake out run in the park Saturday last year.

ultramarathon/triathlete

They used to (and maybe still do) provide free finisher medal engraving with your time Monday after the race.  Used to be done at Tavern on the Green, I think.  That would be another reason to stay near CP, it would be easy to get over there Monday if you wanted to have your medal engraved.  I've never done that, but it would be cool.

ETA: looks like The Running Company (in The Shops at Columbus Circle, near the marathon finish) has offered free engraving on Marathon Monday in past years.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

kcam

Just wanted to say good luck to those running the NYC Marathon!

I just got back from a long weekend there and ran the Central Park loop a bunch of times and every time I'd be thinking "thank God this isn't mile 22 of a goal marathon".  The hills aren't super steep but they are a grind for sure.  Seemed every bit as tough as the Newton Hills and they come at a worse time.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry for introducing myself and then disappearing but this week has been too hectic.

This is my peak week 1 for Chicago and I ran 12 miles with 8 @ MP today.  I just ran the 13.1 Boston with 8 @ MP and the last 3 fast so the fact that my coach had this workout four days later says a lot about this week.  Both went great!

Julia, nice RR!

senatj, nice workout.

andy, sorry about the tough 18 miler.

Has anyone ordered the dolls?  Some friends are forcing me to order one.  I know I'll regret this later....

Thanks for the welcomes!

We just booked the Chicago Marathon trip and as usual we are late for everything NYCM related.  Hoping I can force my husband to book it this weekend.  Last year we stayed at the Roosevelt just because it was closed to the 5K the NYRR had the day prior to the race (hubby and I ran it), but this year I want a bit closer.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

D_R, There are dolls? Please let this be a real thing and not a typo.

andyashton

Sorry to hear about the rough patch but it seems like you're keeping a good attitude about it.  Cooler temperatures are on the way.  And, a license to eat!  Pretty awesome.

Thanks, it's good to have a place to vent!  Thankfully, this morning's 10 mile tempo run went really well, and it felt good to get into the tempo run after having felt so beat.

kencamet: Ha, you're funny.  I know there are no hills in NYC...in fact I thought I heard it was all a gradual downhill from the Verrazano.  I'm pretty sure they mentioned something about the streets being paved with a soft, fluffy loam as well.

Docket_Rocket

Damaris

Fundraising Page