First Time Marathon Training (Read 1097 times)

dnephin - thanks so much for that it really gives me a bit of confidence that it can be done. The reason I pulled out of the marathon three times is that I play football and football would always win out in the end and I would have to give up the running. BUT now I am going to do the marathon this year no matter what. Maybe my time goal is too much for my first marathon so I may just decide to just complete the marathon this time but then again I am going to do a sub 4 hour training plan just as I don't think there is any harm in that and seeing what happens! your wife sounds awesome and that is some great achievement - fair play to her!
    JakeKnight

I say go for it. I think there is PLENTY of time -- IF you are committed and stick with a plan
      I agree. You really are way, way ahead of most first-timers. That's not really a compliment, more of a slam on them. A lot of folks decide in August that they'll start running and do a November marathon. It can be done, but its sort of painful and not the best way to become a lifelong runner. I did exactly that. Ran my first marathon with just about zero training - and then didn't run a step for several years. So the people suggesting patience are just trying to get you to avoid making that mistake. But you can definitely do it, and you're in good shape for a marathon 10 months in the future. Especially if you're a serious football player. I'm assuming you're referring to what we Americans call "soccer," right? If you play a lot, you may already be in good shape. What position do you play?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

your wife sounds awesome and that is some great achievement - fair play to her!
        Hearing "fair play" that takes me back! I miss Ireland already. Thanks for clearing up that it was just other committments that kept you from doing it.
          But you can definitely do it, and you're in good shape for a marathon 10 months in the future. Especially if you're a serious football player. I'm assuming you're referring to what we Americans call "soccer," right? If you play a lot, you may already be in good shape. What position do you play?
          I play centre half in "soccer"!!!! It would not require too much running just a bit of tough tackling!!! Our footy season runs from August to May and since last August I have not been playing for a proper 11-a side team as I have been busy doing work around the playstation and couch!!!!! I have been playing 5-a side football once a week and there is loads of running in that! Now I have given the 5-a side up and am concentrating on the running and building up my consistency and base mileage!! What I plan to do is run the marathon this October and then go back to playing proper football as I only have about 4 years left that I could play at a decent level...I will still keep the jogging up! I really have a big ambition to do the marathon before I'm 30 so this October is my only chance really!!!! dnephin - just checked out your time for the Dublin marathon...holy sh*t b*lls!!!!! FAIR PLAY to you man!!!!