why would I want trail running shoes? (Read 686 times)

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

What do they offer over regular running shoes? I currently spend about 25% of my time running on easy dirt trails around my house, but I'm thinking of increasing that percentage. Can I just stay in my regular running shoes or should I think about getting trail runners?

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Lazy idiot

I'm not the expert on this, but here's what I've been told by trusted running store dudes: If you're running on technical trails (lots of rocks, roots, etc.) or have money to burn and like shoes... get ye some trail shoes. If you're running on well manicured trails and are cheap (like me), road shoes should be okay.

Tick tock

If you're running on technical trails (lots of rocks, roots, etc.) or have money to burn and like shoes... get ye some trail shoes.
        Trail shoes usually have a stiffer sole, so you dont feel rocks/roots as much. They also usually have a guarded toe box, better ventilation in case you get your feet wet, and more tread on the bottom. For your purposes, I dont think they would help much.
          I agree that it's probably not needed for the trails you describe. In addition to what Gopher Ryan said, good (real) trail shoes have a lower heel, which can help prevent ankle sprains.
          sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

Thanks! You just saved me some money!

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

I too run about 25% of my mileage on trails, and for the most part don't need a trail shoe. They help with traction in muddy conditions, or if trail is covered with a lot of leafs etc. As others have said on technical trails with lots of roots and rocks, apart from saving your toes from stubbing them on rocks, trail shoes can sometimes save you from a fall from tripping (stiffer sole and ankle). Also trail shoes dont look as dirty after going through mud/dirt and are easier to clean. I run in one of the lighter trail shoe Salomon XA-Pro 3D, but they are still much heavier than my road shoe. So in my opinion unless you are running in deep backcountry trails or trails longer than 12-15 miles road shoes work fine