km vs miles in log (Read 1637 times)

drifter

Hi everyone,

I am new here and thought the logging tool is pretty cool. One problem is while the workout entry is in mile, the summary is in km. Is there any setting I missed?

Thanks!

henryc

drifter

Locale settings

Yeah, mine was at mile. If you look at your summary report, it has the same problem. I looked several's logs. Seems like a bug in the system.

sluggo

John

Yeah, mine was at mile. If you look at your summary report, it has the same problem. I looked several's logs. Seems like a bug in the system.

Did you try:

Training Log > Settings > Locale Settings

This has an option for km or mi.

I don't know if then gets placed into the summary.

John
          www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

drifter

Did you try:

Training Log > Settings > Locale Settings

This has an option for km or mi.

I don't know if then gets placed into the summary.

Yes. My setting is at mile.

sluggo

John

Yes. My setting is at mile.

I must be confused. Why don't you change the setting to km?

John
              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

drifter

I must be confused. Why don't you change the setting to km?

That's naughty, Big grinbut good idea.

Nope, the system is buggy. Confirmed.

I think what you're referring to is something like this:

Double 4.2 mi

Distance/Easy 9.2 mi

Interval 7.6 km

Cooldown/Warmup 5 mi

Double 4.2 mi

Distance/Easy 9.6 mi

Cooldown/Warmup 6 mi

Tempo 4 mi

Double 4.2 mi

Distance/Easy 9 mi

Long 14.5 mi

Run: 74.6

you might notice that on the 21st, it has the distance listed in km, instead of miles.  

the log doesn't convert that distance explicitly in the summary, but it does when it totals the miles for the week.

is that what you are talking about, or did i also miss something?

eric :)

If you use miles as your default distance unit, how should the log handle the case where you enter the distance in kilometers?  For example, if you ran a 10k and you entered it as 10k, should the log display the distance exactly as you entered it or should it convert to miles?  If the log converts the distance and displays it as 6.22 miles, some users will say that's not accurate since 10k is not exactly 6.22 miles.  They may say that they entered the 10k because they want it to be exact.  The log should not take the liberty to normalize the data to the default distance unit.

It is safer to display the individual workouts' distances as the user entered it.  If you want to see 6.22 miles, enter it as such.  The only time the log converts the distances is when it has to sum distances (i.e. display the week's total distance).

drifter

If you use miles as your default distance unit, how should the log handle the case where you enter the distance in kilometers?  For example, if you ran a 10k and you entered it as 10k, should the log display the distance exactly as you entered it or should it convert to miles?  If the log converts the distance and displays it as 6.22 miles, some users will say that's not accurate since 10k is not exactly 6.22 miles.  They may say that they entered the 10k because they want it to be exact.  The log should not take the liberty to normalize the data to the default distance unit.

It is safer to display the individual workouts' distances as the user entered it.  If you want to see 6.22 miles, enter it as such.  The only time the log converts the distances is when it has to sum distances (i.e. display the week's total distance).

No, I respectfully disagree, but don't really care. I was just wondering if I didn't setup something correctly.

Btw, my data is straight from Garmin.

My garmin froze on me during a half marathon and I asked the guy next to me what pace we were running at and he said "eh 4 min." He was Canadian and it didn't help me.

eric :)

No, I respectfully disagree, but don't really care. I was just wondering if I didn't setup something correctly.

Btw, my data is straight from Garmin.

When you import your workouts, the importer always use the unit specified with the workout.  If your data is from Garmin and the units are not what you're expecting, then it's possible that you didn't set the distance unit correctly in Garmin.

drifter

When you import your workouts, the importer always use the unit specified with the workout.  If your data is from Garmin and the units are not what you're expecting, then it's possible that you didn't set the distance unit correctly in Garmin.

Maybe I was not clear. Both my log local and Garmin setting are in mile. My 2 workouts were imported correctly and are shown as 15 and 20 miles. However, the weekly summary is on km, ie, 24 and 32 km respectively. I checked quite some users logs, they all look like that. The summary reports are buggy.

kcam

Eric,

This is wrong (unless something has changed very recently)!  There IS a bug in your system.  It is especially annoying when importing interval workouts.  I have tried setting the Garmin units to 'metric', then running my workout, importing and then .... the log STILL displays the workout in statute units.  I have tried turning off the GPS on my Garmin and running my workout, importing the workout (only 'time' is imported), editing the workout to add the distances (200/400/800m - whatever) and it STILL displays fricking miles!  I've bitched complained about this here.