Treadmill vs. Outdoor running (Read 2020 times)

madness baby

Wisecracks to other posters aside, I say if the treadmill helps you get your run in, then by all means, use it. Most runners hate the things because they are extremely boring. If you know you're not going to run in the cold, though, it seems to me you're better off to run on the treadmill.
    Very well said!
    deb
    Jill_B

I fly.

Hi All - (This is my first post on this board, so be kind.) I run on a treadmill about 4-5 times a week because I have a young child. Although it can be boring, I have not slowed down or lost endurance. In fact, I ran a marathon in November and was fine. I found listening to loud music helps the runs go by faster. Also, if you can watch TV, that can help also. In the last issue (or maybe it was two issues ago), Runners World had tips on treadmill training. You might want to check that out. Good luck! -Jill

Bring it on.

I run for Fried Chicken!

I've been running on a treadmill for about a month now and I love it and I used to be totally against them. I started running last year but basically stopped after about 3 months because it started getting cold. I've restarted again after about a year long hiatus and I have to say that I love running on the treadmill. I know people who live where it really gets cold are going to laugh at me because I'm in Southern California but I just couldn't motivate myself to go out when it's cold. Now that I've joined a gym and it's literally across the street from work, I look out my office window and I can see the people on the treadmill, I don't have an excuse not to run. I can't say that it's too cold, it's too hot, it's too smoggy, the sun isn't at the right angle, the moon is too full, the moon isn't full enough, etc. Big grin Also, treadmill running has gotten me running further and faster than before. I feel like I can stop at any point rather than having to worry about if I get tired too far from home or which route should I run so that I don't run circles. That plus when I see the person next to me who is running faster and longer than I am and it brings out my competitive spirit.
          I find that my treadmill is very good for speedwork and intervals. Yesterday I did 8 X 400 meter repeats with 200 meter recoveries for 4 miles, and it was a butt-kicking workout for sure. I think the TM has its place in the whole realm of running.
            OK, I'm humbled...the dreaded treadmill made me adjust my speed to a mere crawl (4.9) to silence my HRM! Does anyone see a decline in their pace on the treadmill vs. outside? I had the incline set at 1.0 and on manual.
              OK, I'm humbled...the dreaded treadmill made me adjust my speed to a mere crawl (4.9) to silence my HRM! Does anyone see a decline in their pace on the treadmill vs. outside? I had the incline set at 1.0 and on manual.
              I had the exact same problem when I went from outside to the treadmill. It's an odd phenomenon, but I figure if I train on the mill over the winter, I'll be super-fast on the road in the spring! Smile Kimmer
              My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me
                The weather in CT has been fabulous, so I put my little flashlight on my head and head out at night. I think part of the problem is that I can't walk a straight line (even sober), let alone run straight! Big grin
                  Has anyone mentioned shin splints yet? Thus far, I've done the vast majority of my running on the treadmill (for lack of owning the necessary winter gear) and when I run too many miles in too short a span of time, I end up getting shin splints from using it. That's not something that normally bothers me when I run the same mileage outside. Just my two cents.
                    I used to run on a treadmill a lot and when I started running outside it was hard. I could never go as fast as on a treadmill. For the past few months I haven't been running much on a treadmill. Yesterday I did a 7 mile run and again found the transition difficult. It really seems like I work different muscles outside than I do on a belt.
                    Has anyone mentioned shin splints yet? Thus far, I've done the vast majority of my running on the treadmill (for lack of owning the necessary winter gear) and when I run too many miles in too short a span of time, I end up getting shin splints from using it. That's not something that normally bothers me when I run the same mileage outside. Just my two cents.
                    I wonder if you should not try different shoes for your treadmill runs. Just an idea. Ewa
                    I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                      Do you know what type of shoes might help? I've been running in my Asics Gel-Kayano's which are normally very comfortable and offer great support. I've also tried using my Asics Gel-1100s and 1110s but none seem to make a tremendous difference.
                        Ive always wondered if running on a treadmill was easier than outside. It seems like to me running outside you are having to propel yourself forward using your legs and keep yourself moving, where on a treadmill the belt is moving and you have to pick your legs up and down so you dont get thrown off. You are not actually working to get anywhere. Does that make sense? I have not seen any studies on this, just always wondered.

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

Scout7

Ive always wondered if running on a treadmill was easier than outside. It seems like to me running outside you are having to propel yourself forward using your legs and keep yourself moving, where on a treadmill the belt is moving and you have to pick your legs up and down so you dont get thrown off. You are not actually working to get anywhere. Does that make sense? I have not seen any studies on this, just always wondered.
                          I believe Martin and Coe mention that when they were setting up their treadmill stress test, they found that there is no difference in biomechanics or submaximal O2 between a treadmill at 0% incline and the track. (“Better Training for Long Distance Runners” by Dr. David Martin, physiologist, and Peter Coe) A lot of that was related more towards their study, which wasn't specifically testing the difference between the two, but since their stated requirements were to closely mimic the effects of outside, the found that a treadmill works nicely. As to why you run better on a treadmill vs ouside, or vice versa, my personal theory is this: It's a mental thing. If you're not used to running on a treadmill, it can be hard. I have found it difficult to adjust, especially to the ones where the arm rails are long (I feel waaaaay too penned in, freaks me out). If you're used to running on a treadmill, suddenly running outside is really different; different surfaces, constantly changing pace (which doesn't happen on a treadmill), constantly changing surface / conditions, etc. etc. ad nauseum.
                            I get shin splints from the treadmill if I use any incline on it whatsoever. I don't get shin splints outside on flat ground or up or down hills. I think there's something about it that changes my gait when "hill running" on it. I just don't put any incline on the treadmill anymore.
                              I am realizing that all treadmills are not the same. Like this is news, right? Well, I never thought there would be such a difference. They have just installed new treadmills at the gym I go to and WOW! My legs love the new belt and I found running quite enjoyable (I haven't enjoyed treadmills ever since I started running outside). Maybe it's all the gadgets they come with but I don't think my knees would care much about that. Ewa
                              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                              va

I also found that I like running on some models of treadmills and not others. I can't explain why. Even of the TMs that are the same model, I prefer the one with the quietest belt. For some reason, some are really loud.