Why the five-letter limit on shoe description? (Read 816 times)

I've got two pairs of shoes that I've been rotating for running. Both of them are New Balance, and have model #'s for names. Since that's not very memorable, I use the Shoe ID field to put the color of the shoes in. Yes, I know that I can also put that info in the 'Notes' field, but that doesn't show up in the Shoes list on the New Run Entry form. My only problem is the 5-character limit to the Shoe ID field. It's not a huge deal, but I'm curious why the very short limit? Can we bump that up to eight, maybe? Right now I've got one pair of shoes listed as 'yello' which I can obviously identify as 'yellow.' I just figure that there's not a lot I can do with five letters, and other people probably run into similar issues. Thanks for reading, Josh

2011 Goals:
    sub 17min 5k
    5:15 mile?
    (well, maybe next year)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My only problem is the 5-character limit to the Shoe ID field.
      I'm the same boat as Josh. I don't change shoe models very often, so I usually have at least 2 of the same shoe in rotation. Eric, if you can squeeze in space for a few more characters, that would be nice. Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Josh, I have had the same problem with NB shoes and keeping track using color code (and I need to get on Asics' ass about only carrying wide width shoes in a single color--much easier to rotate 2 of the same model or keep track of old and newer shoes if they are different colors...at least NB does not descriminate against those of us with "non-medium" feet). I think 8 characters would be reasonable, as well. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

When I have more than one of the same shoe/model in rotation (which is usually) I label them "A," "B," "C," etc. A Sharpie notation on the inside of the shoe keeps the ID straight in the real world.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

eric :)

When I have more than one of the same shoe/model in rotation (which is usually) I label them "A," "B," "C," etc. A Sharpie notation on the inside of the shoe keeps the ID straight in the real world.
            That's exactly what I do with my shoes, but what would I know? I'll expand the field for the next release, which I'm hoping will be this weekend.
              Same here, except I use 1, 2, 3.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've never had issues confusing shoes, since mine have all (luckily) been different colors/models, but I've seen more than once where someone has accidentally swapped an older shoe into a newer pair when they look the same. I have planned to do some easy dot or # notation if I end up with pairs that are identical in the future. But for different colors of the same model it is nice to have notation that is color-based. k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

In the past, when I've had identically colored shoes in rotation, I could tell them apart by smell, since one pair was older than the other. Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My feet don't stink... Wink

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My feet don't stink... Wink
                      Your feet might smell like pumpkin pie, but I wouldn't know 'cuz I wouldn't sniff the filthy motherf****rs.