Tokyo (Read 545 times)

MisplacedTexan

Crazy Runner

Should I run this marathon.  The deal is I do not have an entry but a friend of mine does.  He is injured and will not be running it.  We are the same age and about the same caliber (he may be faster) runner.  The local Japanese seem to think it is very acceptable but there is a moral dilema.  It might be the last chance I want to be in thi area to run this race.  What to do, what to do?

Marathons are easy... running one fast is where the difficulty comes!

Turbolegs

I can tell you one thing .. this is one awesome marathon. I ran it last year, and i am running it again next weekend. Forget the moral dilemma, if you arent going to threaten anybody for their price prize money and just in for fun.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Should I run this marathon.  The deal is I do not have an entry but a friend of mine does.  He is injured and will not be running it.  We are the same age and about the same caliber (he may be faster) runner.  The local Japanese seem to think it is very acceptable but there is a moral dilema.  It might be the last chance I want to be in thi area to run this race.  What to do, what to do?

Now I have a moral dilemma!!  I know one of the race officials and, knowing that someone is trying to run as someone else... ;o)

Here's the thing; for the race official's stand-point, besides prize money, and one other special occasion being 100th Boston qualifying, the biggest issue for the race officials with someone running as someone else is liability.  If you run it as someone else and you have some medical problem, the race officials will contact someone based on this someone else's information, not YOUR personal information.  As long as that part is clear, on both parties (not you guys and race officials; but you and your buddy), what the heck, why not?  Besides, you guys all look alike, nobody is going to notice the difference!! ;o)

If you want to experience megalopolis marathon, it's got to be either NYC or Tokyo.  Have fun with it!!

Personally I don't think you should run as someone else. The event has rules, you (and your friend) should comply with them, IMHO.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I can tell you one thing .. this is one awesome marathon. I ran it last year, and i am running it again next weekend. Forget the moral dilemma, if you arent going to threaten anybody for their price prize money and just in for fun.

+1. You can write your personal information on the back of the bib.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

MisplacedTexan

Crazy Runner

I will not even be close to considered for prize money, nor will I be close to winning the last place finisher, and as of right now I am not in shape to challenge a Boston Qualifier or any other race qualifier for myself or the other guy.  I am thinking I am doing this and will just deal with the dilemma. 

If I decide to do this I will let you all know how it goes.

BeeRunB

When you have a moral dilemma, it means that your own values are being challenged. Make your decision on your own values, and then accept the world you create from your choice. You'll either be living in a world where you ran the marathon as someone else, or living in one where you didn't. Which you? which world? are usually the questions a person should ask when in a moral dilemma. And you always know what feels right.

MisplacedTexan

Crazy Runner

The moral dillema is not mine but more directed at the one that faces the running world daily.  I am not going to take the entry due to a lack of training and desire to spring the money to get there.  I could go and gut out a marathon right now but would be no where near my best or even close to it. 

I personally think that as long as the prize money and such are not affected then as long as there is a bib there then one should be able to use it.  Also as long as I am not running as a woman when I am a man and such.  No harm no foul this time around.