Cheapest watch with all the good stuff (Read 221 times)

Ok so GPS / heart rate / split times.  Most other stuff I think may be overboard for me.  What is the cheapest and reliable one you all recommend??

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

zonykel

Check out DC Rainmaker's website.

off the top of my head, I think the garmin 110 or 210 will probably satisfy your needs.

Garmin 210.  Super easy to operate, yet enough features for most.  Great form factor.  Cheap relative to other products ($199 MSRP...which you can of course get cheaper with discount codes from popular online running stores).

some call me Tim

I researched this for a while, definitely check out dc rainmaker for the definitive word, but I would also say the 210. The charging cradle is a pain, but it does everything I need well, and with good battery life. I've used the HR stuff a bit, but I don't think it's truly necessary. The option of a footpod for indoors is a good one. If you're willing to swing your butt in the breeze and have a little patience you ought to be able to pick one up on ebay for substantially less. I got my wife a most excellent Christmas present this way Smile

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Check out DC Rainmaker's website. 

+1

steph  

DukeDB

I love everything about the 210 except for the clip, which makes me regret buying the thing...

some call me Tim

Yeah that clip pissed me off for a few months - just really poor design - but I've got a method now. It's like voodoo, and I don't have problems connecting it anymore.

I love everything about the 210 except for the clip, which makes me regret buying the thing...

+1000

Yeah that clip pissed me off for a few months - just really poor design - but I've got a method now. It's like voodoo, and I don't have problems connecting it anymore.

Please share your method!! I am OK with risking eternal damnation by embracing voodoo, if this will fix it.

I had no problem for the first few weeks I had it. And I will say the last few times it has connected on the first try, but I did not do anything differently, and I assume it will go back to "normal", i.e. incredibly aggravating.

Someone told me their problem was solved after switching from PC to Mac, but that is not happening here.

Dave

One other 210 question/issue. I keep the pace display on lap pace, which I imagine is most common. But after I am done with a run, of course I immediately want to know average pace for the run. Is there a quicker way to see that than resetting it & going to History?

Dave

Dc rainmaker and Garmin 210.   Seems to be the top two.  So what is this CLIP thing you guys are complaining about? Does the rainmaker have a similar problem?

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

The watch connects to your computer for charging and transferring data via USB cable. You can load your run data onto the Garmin Connect website, or directly to your RA training log (as well as many other sites.) The cable attaches to the watch with a clip. Even when it appears to be connected, the computer may not recognize the device. You need to repeatedly disconnect/reconnect, jiggle, etc., until at some point it randomly decides to be recognized. (Unless you have blargendarg's patented system.) PITA. Some of the more expensive models connect wirelessly.

Um, not sure if you realized DC Rainmaker is not a watch, it's the website of a guy who reviews watches.

Dave

some call me Tim

Yeah, DC Rainmaker writes the most ridiculously in-depth, thoughtful reviews I have pretty much ever seen... he provides lots of info to help you make a decision and he also recommends (at least as of about 4 months ago) the Forerunner 210 for 'most runners'.

@DaveP

As for my method, well, there's a reason I called it voodoo. It's not quite clear how it works, just that it does. Based on your issues I suppose it could be something beyond simple connection problems, where I'm 100% certain my issues were always connection related. It *does* behave strangely when the connection is bad, though. Here's what I can tell you: it's fussy. If you put on the clip and then launch an app (like your browser) while you wait, it will often not connect. And I always reset to save the workout before connecting because if it's not saved before you connect it, it'll do that first and can sometimes hang after that. Mostly, I plug the cable into the computer first, open the clip and line up the connection points, then let it close and use my thumb and forefinger to grasp the clip and watch together above(and below) where the connection point is. Then while holding it firmly I use my other hand to wiggle the watch a little. When I do this, the clip will often 'click' into place, which I think is just more like it settles into the right spot. That's often when it will connect for me.

It's pretty effective for me, but I really think it just took a little muscle memory.. developing this way of handling it that got me consistent results. Oh, and if there's a way to see overall pace quicker at the end (other than setting lap display to show it all along) I don't know about it. Reset->history is always what I do.

thanks for the reviews!  I will check out his website too.... LOL at me Clown Totally thought rainmaker was a watch.  I have a few more months to go before I can afford anything more than this walmart 10 dollar watch.  I hope I will find the right one !

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

SubDood

My voodoo with my 210 is very similar to Blargendarg's,  except that I connect my clip to the watch and jiggle until it clicks BEFORE plugging in the USB cable. I also reset/save workouts before connecting like Blarg, and this helps keep it from "hanging." These two steps have resolved most issues. It still "hangs" once in awhile -- if you get a blank screen, you can do a "reboot" of sorts by pressing and holding 3 buttons (light, lap/reset, and page/menu) simultaneously for about 5 seconds, then press light button again to restart.

I really like this watch, but these are nagging issues that I wish didn't exist. Hope this is helpful.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Garmins often go on sale on Amazon around Earth Day (which is next week.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.