How many intervals do you do? (Read 1486 times)

Just curious.   I normally do about 3-4 miles, with intervals mixed with regular running.

Also, when you do hills, how do you do those?

I normally run up a hill ( a big one ) like 10 times in a row. 

Hills are not too easy to come by where I live.  Or I have to run far to get to a good one.

I base the amount on my weekly mileage.

If I'm doing threshold pace it is about 10%.  5-6 miles.

If I'm doing VO2 max 5k-10k pace I do about 8%.  4-5 miles.

If I'm doing R pace 1mile-3k pace 1 also do slightly less than 8%.  4 - 5 miles.

For hills I'd go by time, lets say effort is equal to VO2 max.  For me VO2 max pace is about 6:00 per mile, if I want to to the equivalent in hills as an interval I'd do 24:00-30:00 total of just the hill running portion.  Lets say it takes me 3:00 to run up the hill, I'd do 8-10 of them.

Looking at your log you're doing 20-30 miles a week, I wouldn't do anymore than 2-3 miles of intervals.  Preferably I'd get my mileage up to 35-45 a week, before adding any speed, but that is just my personal opinion.

IFor hills I'd go by time, lets say effort is equal to VO2 max.  For me VO2 max pace is about 6:00 per mile, if I want to to the equivalent in hills as an interval I'd do 24:00-30:00 total of just the hill running portion.  Lets say it takes me 3:00 to run up the hill, I'd do 8-10 of them.

Thanks!

So, if you do 8-10 hills,   do you just run up the hill, turn around, come back and do it again?   I feel like a dork when people see me doing this, but whatever.

- Anya

Thanks!

So, if you do 8-10 hills,   do you just run up the hill, turn around, come back and do it again?   I feel like a dork when people see me doing this, but whatever.

I can think  of no other way of getting back down :-)  

Yes, just run up the hill, then slowly jog/walk back down the hill.

I really think the number of intervals you do will depend only on you. It matters nil what others do. I've been told that you should do one less than you're capable of doing. That is, don't do so many that you're so exhausted you couldn't do another one.  I believe this applies whether you're running short hills, long hills, short/flat repeats at 5K pace, or longer repeats at a slower pace.  Always finish knowing you could do one more if you had to.  But don't.  I also think  it's very good to error on the side of a longer cool down. 

Thanks!

Yes, just jog easily back down.  I guess I'm used to looking like a dork.

Again I'm doing 30:00 worth because I run 60 miles a week.  I base the amount of speed/hill/quality on the quantity of weekly miles.

SMART Approach

Thanks!

Jog down the hill. Also, feel free to jog 30-60 sec at bottom of the hill to regroup. You want a full recovery when doing a hill rep. I think it is nice to have a plan. Maybe 4-6 surges of 30 sec up a shorter steeper hill. If hitting it good, I see no need for more than this amount of reps unless you are very high miles. This is great for strength and is speed work in disguise. You run hard but not all out. Think 3-5K effort but keeping good form.

The other type of hill rep is longer. This builds stamina on an elevated course. It is good if your races are hilly. If your races are not hilly, I prefer the shorter surges.These longer hills are good on long runs (rolling hills) and also can  be targeted for 1-3 minutes. Run at a nice solid pace, holding normal pace on a long run or a tad faster focusing on breathing and form if doing them as drills.  You can do several of these or even a few or build up a progression into your plan.  You don't have to crank the pace.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks!

An advantage of trails. Smile

If doing uphill work, you can jog or walk down, recover additionally, if needed, then head back up. Typically short hills (various lengths, but probably < 5min, usually much shorter) with long or complete recoveries help the neuromuscular aspects. Longer hills with shorter recoveries will be more cardio. And the longest hills (mountains) will be strength endurance. Tchuck gave a good explanation.

On paved bike paths, I'm more likely to do fartleks on the hills, but right now, given the limited ice-free asphalt and abundant rotten snow (esp.. in afternoon), I'll do reps on the bike path - at least the part that's reasonably firm - so I don't need much space. I don't care what folks think. Actually, they're probably thinking I'm a dork to be running on rotten ice, so turning around at the snow berm where the plows stopped probably is the least of their concerns. (we've had record snow and cold this winter and just starting to warm up this week)

Oh, and sometimes people will use car shuttle for downhill on some of the bigger hills - might only have time to run uphill during a lunch break. And there's a climbathon that uses the ski tram for the downhill part. Wink But, yea, most of the time, ya gotta get down under your own power.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Why is it sideways?

I just did 24.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just did 24.

That's a lot of quarters. And impressive pace control. Makes me want to try it. However, I've learned that thinking about doing cool-sounding workouts conjures up exciting ideas, but then the actuality can turn out to involve a lot more fatigue and pain than I wanted.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

I know we did 20X400 on 60sec recovery....I think we did 25 a couple times but it's been too long to remember.  Most of the time starting at 75sec and working down to 70....when we got fit and stupid one year I think we started at 72 and worked down to 65 (for 20).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

I just did 24.

Next week, out of curiosity (boredom? nah), I am going to see how many 400s I can do before my pace falls off and/or my form goes to shit.  I realize it is a shot in the dark because I have to guess what the proper pace should be.  But even if I do that right, I suspect the answer will be somewhere around 10-12.  Well, unless I do them, say, "comfortably hard".  But I won't.

24?  Damn.

Sincere question: what was the recovery/rest interval in between?

Why is it sideways?

Sincere question: what was the recovery/rest interval in between?

I detailed it in my log, but basically 100m jog between intervals ~ 35s. After the first 6 a 200 jog, halfway through a 400 jog, and 3/4 through a 200 jog. Mostly to break it up mentally.

MTA: The purpose of this was to kinda wire my goal 10k pace... build confidence for the race.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, that looked like lots of time running at 10K goal pace.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I detailed it in my log, but basically 100m jog between intervals ~ 35s. After the first 6 a 200 jog, halfway through a 400 jog, and 3/4 through a 200 jog. Mostly to break it up mentally.

MTA: The purpose of this was to kinda wire my goal 10k pace... build confidence for the race.

You mean you had to take longer and longer recovery (except for the last few)?  To me, that's defeating the purpose in a way...  If you COULD actually cut down the recovery at a certain pace you would like to run, that's a confidence booster.  If you have to X4 the recovery duration after halfway through, that's above your head.  You're doing them too fast.  

Anybody remember this blond girl from Norway, the name slips my mind at the moment...  She was the ONLY non-African in the final of 5000m at Helsinki World Championships.  She won silver medal in the European Championships a few years back--for some reason, she didn't come to Beijing Olympics though I thought she could be a factor...  Her coach, Knut Kvalheim--some of the old timers might remember this name, he's in the famous Pre picture where Pre and Frank Shorter are battling it out in a 3-mile race in Eugene--, told me she started to perform really well when they LENGTHEN her recovery from 100m to 200m (per Tinman's suggestion) in her 20X200m workout.  Just because the workout is tough, doesn't mean you'll perform well.  It's got to be the RIGHT WORKOUT for you.

Why is it sideways?

You mean you had to take longer and longer recovery (except for the last few)?  To me, that's defeating the purpose in a way...  If you COULD actually cut down the recovery at a certain pace you would like to run, that's a confidence booster.  If you have to X4 the recovery duration after halfway through, that's above your head.  You're doing them too fast.  

No, you misunderstood. You can read about it in my log.

(You really think I'm that much of an idiot?)

No, you misunderstood. You can read about it in my log.

(You really think I'm that much of an idiot?)

No, that's why I was a bit surprised.  On the other hand, I'm too lazy to check the log... ;o)  I will.  And I hope others didn't misunderstood like I did--people look up to you.  So I just wanted to make clear.  My bad.