Nike + Ipod Sport Kit (Read 1192 times)

Smell the glove

has anyone else tried the nike + ipod sport kit? it's pretty cool. i love my ipod and when i heard nike and apple were coming out with this i had to try it. the sport kit contains a sensor that you're supposed to put in a little divot under the insole of your specially made nike shoes and a receiver that you plug into your ipod. the sensor relays data to the receiver and displays your distance time pace etc. the kit was only $30 so i figured i'd try it without the nike shoes (i'm a new balance guy). It seems fairly accurate but i was wondering if anyone else had any experience with it.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a NB girl, too, but have been lusting over the iPod for years (we're big Apple fans in this house--but since I'm home most of the time I have settled for using iTunes to burn CDs for in the car). Do you know if the Nike shoes with this feature come in wide widths? If I could find Nike shoes that fit as well as my wide NBs I might be tempted to give the system a try. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Smell the glove

i know that right now there's only a limited selection of the nike shoes with the insert for the sensor. i'm not sure about the widths. i've heard of lots of people using the sensor without the nike shoes with varying results. i've got a small pouch that i've modified to attach to the laces of my shoes. i put the sensor in and off i go. another cool feature is that when your done with your workout you can connect your ipod to your computer and it will send your workout data to nikeplus.com. that said, i don't like nike's log nearly as much as this one.
        runninggirl248

Surprised Oh my god! I saw that Nike + thing in runner's world and I want it so bad. But I just bought new running shoes, so I can't really buy a whole new pair just for the sensor. What did you do again? You made a pouch? How did you do that? I want that thing so much. I WOULD DIE FOR IT!!! Does it work without the shoes?
          srydbeck

I know Nike is not for everyone. Everyone seems to complain about the narrow widths. I read this interesting article online about how to make the nike+ipod work for any shoe. Basically you just take a little velcro. read for yourself here

Smell the glove

Surprised Oh my god! I saw that Nike + thing in runner's world and I want it so bad. But I just bought new running shoes, so I can't really buy a whole new pair just for the sensor. What did you do again? You made a pouch? How did you do that? I want that thing so much. I WOULD DIE FOR IT!!! Does it work without the shoes?
              in my experience so far it does work without the shoes. i had this little belt clip pouch thing for a small pocket knife and i run my shoe laces through the belt clip so it attaches real tight (if it bounces around a lot it affects the accuracy). i've read several posts where people have attached it to their shoelaces other ways and had success. i also modified an old pair of running shoes by digging out a hole under the insole deep enough for the sensor to fit and run that way. there was no difference in accuracy but since i don't want to go cutting up my new shoes i just use the pouch. you can calibrate the sensor by running a known distance and that seems to help the accuracy. the only problem i've found is that on longer runs (6+ miles) it's only accurate within a half mile. you should try it though. it's only thirty bucks, unless you want to buy the shoes too. Smile
              vicentefrijole

I'm not a huge Nike fan, but I have to give Nike and Apple credit for this very smart marketing idea. There are lots of systems out there that will measure your pace, distance, etc (probably with greater accuracy) but the cool part about this system is you don't have to buy much new.. just the kit (and maybe the shoes... glad to hear you don't really need them). I'm actually surprised that Apple didn't just sell the kit independent of Nike (with the modifications so it works with any shoe), but perhaps Nike made them an offer they couldn't refuse? And I guess they're still trying to sell more iPods? Hard to imagine... Anyways, I saw a specially designed Nike running shirt (made of some nice technical fabric, etc) the other day in the store that has a tiny little pouch designed for the iPod Shuffle.. it even had little holes so you can run your headphones through the shirt (so the wire doesn't bounce around, I guess). It seems a little unneccessary to me (and it wasn't cheap) but I'm sure it will sell...
                  I just came across this for the Nike+ sensor use on any shoe. http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Marware.woa/7/wa/selectedCategory?catalogCatID=226&wosid=kxlqEUCNP9brr43xQsxABg Also, for any of you with iPods (any size) this site has pretty cool cases. www.ifrogz.com Stephanie
                  To keep it, you have to give it away.
                    walker8810 I don't know a thing about this NIKE + Ipod sports kit...I was hoping you could tell me what the @#$% is going on with the Flyers!!!

Finished!

Was really excited about the nike+ sport kit, and was going to see about getting one for training, but I'm paranoid on security.... the following article has made it so I likely won't get one now - I figure I have Running Ahead for all my training logging Smile http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72202-0.html?tw=wn_index_2
                      Walk + Jog = wog.
                      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                        Wow! Where are the black helicopters at today?? Come on now. I agree that this could happen, but the likelyhood is very low. I, for one, don't happen to wear my running shoes for anything other than running. The only useful data they'll get is that I stop to pee at the same tree.... I think it's a pretty cool system, if not just for the Power Song alone! The theme music from Rocky is a great one for this!
                        Run long, run strong
                        vicentefrijole

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72202-0.html?tw=wn_index_2
                          I'm not too worried about this personally, but that's still a fascinating article about how this technology can be co-opted! Amazing! I've heard similar studies about these new credit-cards that can be scanned by a touch-card reader system (instead of swiping... are we really that lazy?). They're concerned that theives could build a portable card-reader (one study built one for <$50) and read random peoples cards (through their pockets, wallets, purses) on a crowded train/bus. ha! of course, if they put a simple encryption on this stuff it would make it a lot safer (and i suspect they will if/when it becomes a problem). and="" read="" random="" peoples="" cards="" (through="" their="" pockets,="" wallets,="" purses)="" on="" a="" crowded="" train/bus.="" ha!="" of="" course,="" if="" they="" put="" a="" simple="" encryption="" on="" this="" stuff="" it="" would="" make="" it="" a="" lot="" safer="" (and="" i="" suspect="" they="" will="" if/when="" it="" becomes="" a=""></$50) and read random peoples cards (through their pockets, wallets, purses) on a crowded train/bus. ha! of course, if they put a simple encryption on this stuff it would make it a lot safer (and i suspect they will if/when it becomes a problem).>

Prophet!

i can't wait to put one in my son's shoes when he's a teenager. Just to add i bought this kit with the pouch from Marware because i haven't had the guts to try out Nike shoes yet...it seems to work well and so far its been pretty accurate out of the box on a 5K, 5 miles and 8 miles runs. I'm planning to try it out on my first marathon this sunday and see if it holds up.
                            Pedrn921

Smile I think it totally rocks. I bought a little elastic pouch off of ebay that you can tie in your shoe laces.( I haven't tried the Nike plus shoes yet. ) It works great. I also got a chuckle yesterday with Lance Armstrong congratulated me after my run. If you don't have the setup-I greatly recommend it!!!! I have already improved my time and distance. It is like having a personal trainer.
                                I just got one for Christmas. I hadn't even been thinking about it but dh surprised me with it this morning. :-) I can't wait to play with it! LOL! Teresa