Beer & Training (Read 2411 times)

jsund81

is it weird that I seem to rock every workout the night after downing a 6 pack?  I don't drink often but when I do they usually go down like water and I feel like I'm going to regret it during my run the next day however each time I'm amazed that I seem to perform better than my average work out afterwards. 

you guys should start a group. you can call it RAAA.

the man put the gun away

I too have found more often than not, to have really good workouts/races after a steady intake of ale the night before.  This one comes to mind, the morning after I started drinking at 9am for a tailgate.  Just kept going (moderately) all day long.

It is probably not ordinary, count your blessings.  I know I do.

bcrunner

I know exactly what you mean.  In fact, I have considered making it part of my training routine.  I still havent had the guts to try it the night before a race though. 

Man in Tights

I'm a regular 2 drinks a day guy. Its never affected my runningCool

I'm a regular 2 drinks a day guy. Its never affected my runningCool

But of course you don't know that for sure. If you didn't have those drinks you might be faster - who can say?

Are we there yet?

But of course you don't know that for sure. If you didn't have those drinks you might be faster - who can say?

Yeah, that was the case for me. "I thought" I had bottomed out but I didn't realize there was a 10min PR hanging out there once I dropped my buddy Jack.

Man in Tights

Life's too short. No time for fussing and fighting my friend. I enjoy my running and drinking and cigars. 

Mike E

MM #5615

Ahh...beer.   I don't really have anyting useful to add to this conversation...I just like beer.

I am a pretty regular drink or two a day person, but I thought I had remembered reading somewhere that alcohol inhibits glycogen formation, or encourages the conversion of carbohydrates to fat (I may very well be completely wrong).  So, for my last marathon I avoided all alcohol for the week before the race.  I was almost disappointed when I set a slightly better than 5 minute PR on a tougher course with very similar fitness and training.  Now I can't drink before a marathon until I have a crappy race to prove it wasn't the lack of beer that helped.  It is a shame too because Boston is up next and there are a bunch of great pubs up in that town.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

The other thing that alcohol does is inhibit testosterone production.

Still - I don't want you to get the idea that I don't enjoy a beer from time to time, I'm having one right now as it happens...

I am a pretty regular drink or two a day person, but I thought I had remembered reading somewhere that alcohol inhibits glycogen formation, or encourages the conversion of carbohydrates to fat (I may very well be completely wrong).  So, for my last marathon I avoided all alcohol for the week before the race.  I was almost disappointed when I set a slightly better than 5 minute PR on a tougher course with very similar fitness and training.  Now I can't drink before a marathon until I have a crappy race to prove it wasn't the lack of beer that helped.  It is a shame too because Boston is up next and there are a bunch of great pubs up in that town.

Interesting, I drank 2 beers before my last marathon and PR'd by 7 minutes. I'm convinced it helps me sleep better the night before.

I'll have to expirement again and report back.

Get off my porch

I always think I run better the day after a few beers.   I have not had anything to drink at all for the last 4 weeks, and I've noticed my running sucks.

- Anya

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The other thing that alcohol does is inhibit testosterone production.

On what do you base this assertion?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On what do you base this assertion?

Whiskey dick...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay