Coming Back from an Injury - Looking for Comrades in Pain (Read 70 times)

I am a runner trying to come back from patellar tendonitis (runner's knee).  I am looking for others with running injuries who are working on getting back to form.  I am willing to offer support, encouragement, commiseration and humor to others willing to do the same for me.  My running resume includes races from 5k to half marathons with a few sprint triathlons thrown in for good measure.  My last race was the Philly Rock & Roll HM in October where my knee called for surrender.  I spent the fall not running but taking boot camp and muscle pump classes at the Y and swimming and biking (stationary).  I just started running again.  I am up to 1.5 miles on the local HS track.  My chopat strap is my new favorite accessory.  Anyone out there in a similar situation?

Marie

Marie

I'm with ya!  I'm recovering from Upper Hamstring Tendinosis, and a SFX in the sit bone.  I haven't been able to train since the end of August. I've done a few alter-G miles at 90-95% body weight, but only 1 mile jogs on full weight (nothing w/out some pain in the hammy).  I was hoping to be running at 100% bodyweight by now, but it wasn't meant to be.

Good luck with your comeback.

GinnyinPA

I'm not a very experienced runner.  I started running in Aug. of 2011, developed a pelvic stress fracture in March 2012 and was off for 8 months, started again and did fine for 9 months, then got injured again.  Last July I developed either another pelvic sfx or osteitis pubis - I never went to the doctor - and did minimal running for the next five months.  I would run a bit, feel good, then hurt for two or three days afterwards. So I'd wait a bit, then try again.  Basically, I ran once a week for four and a half months.  The pain finally went away completely, and I've been running every other day for the past month.  Just 3 or 4 miles, but it's a start.  Trouble is, I'm really slow and running is a lot more effort than it used to be.  I have no idea how long it will take to get back to where I was.  After my first injury I became somewhat faster, but lost some of the ease I had had with running before.  My long runs were a harder effort.  I'm really hoping that doesn't happen again.

I'm with ya!  I'm recovering from Upper Hamstring Tendinosis, and a SFX in the sit bone.  I haven't been able to train since the end of August. I've done a few alter-G miles at 90-95% body weight, but only 1 mile jogs on full weight (nothing w/out some pain in the hammy).  I was hoping to be running at 100% bodyweight by now, but it wasn't meant to be.

Good luck with your comeback.

no stress fracture but the crappy hamstring tendinosis and the ever lovely piriformis issues...the 2 things besides the core exercises that finally helped me? Hiking up mountains (it seems, for me anyway, to be the right angle to work and strengthen all those affected muscles!) and walking stairs 3 at a time (I'd run 3-at-a-time stairs but I'm a spaz and would probably wipe out and break my leg or something...better for me to stick to running stairs 1 at a time!).

Maybe something like this will help you too?

Hip Redux

You're always welcome to join our "Sharing Misery on the DL" thread in the B&B forum!  Support... and much ranting about injuries.