if you were me, what would you do? very slow, no response to training effort over 9 month period (Read 1714 times)

Why is it sideways?

I think you should fartlek around some a couple of times a week.  Jog easy, then 10 second bursts of all out sprinting, then easy jog for 5 minutes or however long you want, then 10 seconds of flat out running, repeat and repeat.    Have  fun!   Laugh out loud!  Get red in the face and breathe hard like a steam engine.   Smile

Good advice.

My aerobic capacity still seems pretty rubbish (e.g. I can feel it when I climb a flight of stairs, I struggle to put together more than about 12-15 minutes of slow running, I am unable to run for more than a couple of minutes even at about 10 m/m.

I asked my doctor about the symptoms of a silent heart attack.  This sounds like a mild version of what she described.  Or you could be fighting an infection that you don't know about.  Or a deficiency - iron (check serum ferritin, not RBC) or some vitamin or something. 

If the doctor finds nothing wrong, then it could be overtraining.  Or not enough sleep.  Or too much life stress. 

Don't give up.  There IS a solution.  You just have to find it.

Assuming you have no underlying health condition, I think perhaps doing c25k might not be a bad idea if you want to eliminate the walk breaks. Having a set plan to follow could help take it out of your hands/head.

Reading your post has made me realized that, hey, I've made very little progress myself, especially in regards to speed (I am much slower that you are.) Not that I've been the most consistent of runners. However, I rarely need walk breaks and I think following c25k and then the One Hour Runner plan got me to the point where I can run (ok, jog) several miles without stopping. I generally don't worry about speed though because, well, I don't want to.

See a doctor and then go from there I guess. good luck!

I will definitely leave the training advice to others.  I just wanted to step in to encourage you to see your doctor to insure there is not an underlying cause.  During my last physical, my blood work pointed out a thyroid problem which was causing extreme fatique.  It was news to me because I thought that every busy person felt the same way that I did - tired all of the time.  But I encourage you to have a physical if it's been awhile.  Good luck to you.

rhetorician

very quick update - my genuinely easy pace (at about 70% of HR max) is just over a 12 m/m, but I can run at that pace for a long long time - so that's what I am going to do for the next 3 months or so. Already I am finding it easier to stay under. I suppose I should move over to the LHR forums for more specific advice now?

But it feels good, and easy (and takes about the same total time as my run/walk) - so I thank you all for your responses

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half

Queen of 3rd Place

That's great news!

Ex runner

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I suppose I should move over to the LHR forums for more specific advice now?

But it feels good, and easy (and takes about the same total time as my run/walk) - so I thank you all for your responses

Come on over!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

rhetorician

Come on over!

thanks - will be there in a bit with a series of incredibly obvious and annoying questions, no doubt. Am trying to read up a bit first so that I don't put my foot in it totally. Although the principle seems pretty simple

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

thanks - will be there in a bit with a series of incredibly obvious and annoying questions, no doubt. Am trying to read up a bit first so that I don't put my foot in it totally. Although the principle seems pretty simple

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/forum/1ee41d6d30cd4fc89dfe52f69aec8331

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/