Expletives, Expletives and more Expletives (Read 702 times)

mikeymike

yeah I've seen adult soccer games turn more chippy than just about any other sport. kind of silly, really. I was watching a buddy's over 30 team play a game once when a pushing shoving match broke out and some of the participants wouldn't let it go...to the point of taunting my buddy (who was by then holding his 2 y.o. son at the time) to fight long after the game was over and the more mature had shaken hands and made up. This is sort of why I gave up on all team sports a few years after college. I needed to go to work the next day--and not packing meat somewhere--and would have had a hard time explaining to a client why I had a black eye or was missing teeth. FWIW, at some level I've played (American) football, rugby and soccer and although soccer probably has more lower leg (ACL) type injuries, I wouldn't call it the most dangerous. They all can be pretty rough but I think the speed of the collisions plus the risk of serious head and neck injuries in football take the cake. There are way more *mostly* superficial head and face injuries in rugby but generally the collisions are not as violent. One thing that makes any adult league (or college club league) sports more dangerous is the lack of any kind of medical staff on hand. The absolutely most grotesque leg injury I've ever witnessed close up came in Providence College vs. Rhode Island College non-league "friendly" rugby match at RIC one Saturday morning. We (Prov Coll) were absolutely killing them when a RIC player caught us napping and went on a 90-yard breakaway. Me and one of my friends, who was the fastest player on our team, gave chase and my buddy Sean caught him from behind about 10 yards from scoring. The kid went down weird with his legs underneath him and snapped his lower leg. Picture the Joe Theisman leg break but you are seeing it from 5 yards away when it happens and you can hear the blood curdling screams of the kid writhing on the pitch. It was awful. Nobody even motioned to pick up the ball and continue play. By the time the referee made it down there to whistle the play dead we were just standing over the kid helplessly trying to clam him down. Only took a few minutes for the ambulance to arrive and I don't think the kid stopped screaming once that whole time. Needless to say I sort of sleepwalked through the rest of that game not wanting to touch anybody.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Mike, you've got a way with words. Thanks for sharing. Now the image of a compound fracture and the sounds of blood-curdling screams will accompany me through my day. Dude. Yikes.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mike, you've got a way with words. Thanks for sharing. Now the image of a compound fracture and the sounds of blood-curdling screams will accompany me through my day. Dude. Yikes.
        Nods....eek!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

er, sorry. not sure why all that came out or what triggered that memory but i sure do know how to kill a thread, don't i?

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

i sure do know how to kill a thread
            why so violent this morning, Mike?
            JakeKnight

yeah I've seen adult soccer games turn more chippy than just about any other sport. kind of silly, really. I was watching a buddy's over 30 team play a game once when a pushing shoving match broke out and some of the participants wouldn't let it go....
              I hear you. The worst post-Marine Corps brawl I've ever seen was after a co-rec softball game. Co-rec, meaning women on the team. Hard to believe. A casual, mixed-gender softball game, with a bunch of non-softball players using it as an excuse to drink beer, and it ended up pretty ugly. Blood, ambulances, and worst of all, spilled beer. One guy even stepped on my dog. That's just wrong. Conclusion: people suck, and never really grow up.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Cryptic

Jeff, We play in springfield at Travis Price park or at some random field in Ashland city every now and then when there are conflicts in scheduling in springfield. The next league is going to begin mid March. We have a indoor league that should be starting relatively soon at the YMCA in springfield we are just waiting on a couple more team to register. I was listening to a steven jackson interview the other day and he said after a typical game with over 20 carries he has to take a 30 minute ice bath just so he can walk on Monday's and it is Wednesday before he really feels he can move around without major pain. Football physically takes the cake on beating up the body. Hockey is another sport that should be in the discussion of sports very hard on the body. Soccer is very rough sport but not in the same league as football and hockey.
                mikeymike

why so violent this morning, Mike?
                  haha. too much coffee, stress of the holidays, traffic...etc.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Sounds like you need a run...!
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Sounds like you need a run...!
                      Yep. Looking at his log, that was his third straight morning without one... boy, I think we're all glad he got out there this afternoon! Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

mikeymike

Ha! Very true. I had a great run this afternoon with a couple of friends from work. Have I mentioned how happy it makes me to have showers at work? Life is good...

Runners run

Wingz

Professional Noob

LOL! Then we're all glad they have showers at your work place, too... Dead Tight lipped Wink

Roads were made for journeys...