any experience with a small hernia? (Read 103 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

So, I've been feeling a pain for a few weeks. I got it checked out, and it looks like I might have a small hernia. Doc said "no running" until I get this looked at by a surgeon. Grrr. After some bad shin splints sidelined me over the summer, this is not what I need 2+ weeks before a half marathon.

Anyone have any hernia-related stories to share?

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Grrr indeed.  I wasn't running at the time I had my hernia, but I think it would have been a bad idea to do so.  You may have to DNS that half.

Well, see what the surgeon says- the half may have to wait. The recovery is faster now- they don't use knives anymore like they did on me.- although even then I was only knocked down for a few days.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

They fixed mine with a mesh.  I think I ran within a month.  Pain lasts a week.

I have had an inguinal hernia for about 3 years now.  I pretty much have done every activity with it so far.  I do avoid lifting heavy objects and am careful about things like that.  I never had any issues while running and it doesn't pain me.  I don't have the money for insurance to get it fixed currently.  I think it is a case specific issue but depending on which type you have I would be careful.  It seems mine does not get bothered by marathon training THANK GOODNESS!! but proceed with caution and keep a super close eye on it to make sure it is pain free and not growing in size etc.. If you have the money just get it fixed.  I know I would!!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why no running? That does not really make sense to me.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

What do you mean by "they don't use knives?"

What do you mean by "they don't use knives?"

-- I had inguinal hernia operations in 2010 (Left side) and 2012 (right side).  The Navy does it the old-fashioned way, with knives, about a 3 inch incision.  They put in a mesh, then seal you up with glue, no stitches.   ---  There is another type of surgery being done that is orthroscopic, IE.  They cut a tiny incision, and somehow do all the work in there using a camera.   From what I understand, there is very little advantage to doing what above was called the "no knife" version.

To the Original poster, if you have a hernia, best to get it operated on as soon as possible.  With the first Hernia, I waited several months + it got worse and worse.  I got the operation, all was fine, but it took longer to heal.

On the second operation, I went in as soon as I noticed it beginning to develop, even before I had any pain.  I asked "is it too early to get it operated on"?  The doctor replied:  No, you do have a Hernia developing, so the sooner the better.

I did the Operation on Jun 11th, I was able to get out and do a 3-mile run on Jun 22nd, 11 days later.   Wasn't supposed to, but I'm just trying to share how fast a person can heal from one and be back running again when it is caught early.   Best to knock out the surgery as soon as possible if you are covered.  But by "soon as possible", let me clarify, I don't mean "today", but you want to get it looked at in the next month, vice waiting and putting it off for several months or years...

Sorry so long winded, lol, but I will conclude with disagreement on the "no running" statement by the Doc.  This early on, seems you would be fine to get your half-marathon training, and half marathon done, then address fixing the Hernia.    Discovery of a small Hernia is not usually an "all stop" concerning running and activity.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

To the Original poster, if you have a hernia, best to get it operated on as soon as possible.  With the first Hernia, I waited several months + it got worse and worse.  I got the operation, all was fine, but it took longer to heal.

With respect to your experience, most hernias can be fixed immediately or later, with the timing having no real influence on the hernia's size, difficulty in repairing it or time to heal.

Mysecondnewname

OP:  What type of hernia do you have?  Have you asked your doc why you can't run with it?

Unless he thinks running is going to lead to strangulation of the hernia, the only thing that's limiting your running the half is your tolerance for pain (if running makes your hernia hurt).

If you really want to do the half, I'd suggest asking the doc specifically why you can't run.

PS:  Trent:  I would agree with your statement in the short term that time of repair doesn't really make all that much difference; however, in the population I serve, some allow things to go for years.  Consequently, I've seen inguinal hernias that were the size of a large eggplant.

With respect to your experience, most hernias can be fixed immediately or later, with the timing having no real influence on the hernia's size, difficulty in repairing it or time to heal.

My post is more 'personal experience' than medical knowledge, you may indeed be right.  Main thing I remember is that on the first one on which I waited a long time, it got progressively bigger and more painful.  Took longer for that one to heal as well, but that may have been 0 to do with the fact I waited.  I am unsure.

Someone mentioned "strangulation" and I didn't want to talk on that for fear of my post being even longer than it already was, lol.  But, I do have a relative who didn't get a Hernia operated on for many years because they were scared of the operation.  The eventual result (after years of occasional pain) was indeed strangulation of the intestine, and a much more invasive and urgent operation to repair that.    

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, in the few weeks preceding my hernia surgery, it did feel as though the likelihood of strangulation was increasing rather dramatically.

Duckworth, not sure what type of hernia you had. I was diagnosed with an umbilical hernia 4 years ago and had the surgery scheduled 7 weeks out. I was told I could continue to run, and about two weeks prior to the diagnoses I was experimenting with eliminating all high fructose corn syrup from my diet and changing my training around. So I lost 20 lbs going into the surgery (fr 230 to 210, I'm 6'4"). I'm being prepped for surgery, have the IV's into my arm, my surgeon comes over, I tell him that for whatever reason I can't feel that hernia pain anymore, he pokes in, can't find it, runs over and looks at the CAT scans just to be sure, comes back, pokes again, they pull the IVs out of my arm and I go home -- it self-reduced. In an umbilical hernia (if that is what you have), the fat had put pressure in the umbilical area and when I lost the weight the hole "went away". I looked at your profile (your 6'0 240) but you may want to try and lose weight (if your able to -- for me it was easy as when I eliminated all high fructose corn syrup, after about 2 weeks I was losing 3-4 lbs a week but eating the same amount) as that will help with alleviating pressure in your abdomen and perhaps recovery faster.

Rob