Hurdler runs through hurdles, finishes in other lane... (Read 186 times)

Oh no! Or as my 18 month old would say: Ah noo! (posted by Science of Sport on Facebook...made me laugh, in my taper-induced haze...)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sportvideo/10031240/Today-on-YouTube-Chinese-athlete-ploughs-on-through-to-a-sixth-place-finish-after-forgetting-to-hurdle.html

Gator eye

6th place, not bad. Approve

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How can that be anything but a DQ?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

wow! That is FUNNY!

TRUST THE PROCESS

A fist pump, time check and quite proud of the way he ran.  The guy in the next lane (on the right in blue) has an interesting hurdling technique.

And quite a few spectators, running must be popular in China.

GC100k

That video actually first made the rounds in 2010.  Never did hear if he got DQed, which he should have for going into the other lane.

Pretty funny.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My take on it is that he was starting off with a pulled hamstring, could tell on hurdle #1 that he didn't want to jump any more, and just went for it.

Wing

Joggaholic

If he did not cross over to the other lane, is there any rule for DQ for plowing through the hurdles without doing any jumping?

SubDood

Very funny! Ah noo!!

But if he wasn't DQ'd for knocking over hurdles (and forgetting about the lane-changing for the moment), could this spark a new "technique" in hurdling? Similar to the way that downhill ski racers now "punch" the gates out of their way rather than ski all the way around them. He still went OVER the hurdles after knocking them down, right? Now if he had gone UNDER the hurdles ... totally different story.

MTA: Just saw Wing's post. Same question I had.

GC100k

You don't get DQed for knocking over hurdles, unless you knock them into another lane and hinder another runner (and that's rarely called), but I'm not sure if there's a rule that you have to attempt to clear them (if only there were a way to search the internet and answer such questions).  Most hurdlers hit some hurdles in most races, and many hurdles get knocked down, but I doubt you could improve your time by knocking them down purposely.

Very funny! Ah noo!!

But if he wasn't DQ'd for knocking over hurdles (and forgetting about the lane-changing for the moment), could this spark a new "technique" in hurdling? Similar to the way that downhill ski racers now "punch" the gates out of their way rather than ski all the way around them. He still went OVER the hurdles after knocking them down, right? Now if he had gone UNDER the hurdles ... totally different story.

MTA: Just saw Wing's post. Same question I had.

mikeymike

could this spark a new "technique" in hurdling?

No.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wikipedia says something about a DQ if the runner knocks them down intentionally.  This could have been accidental, no?

I clearly heard the guy in Chinese language say "W T F " ! ! !?! ?! ?! !?

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

mikeymike

This could have been accidental, no?

It definitely could have been.

He could have accidentally used his arms to knock the top bar off the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th hurdles in his lane, before tripping on the remnants of the 7th one, falling into the 8th hurdle of the adjacent lane, getting up and pushing over the 9th hurdle in the adjacent lane and then inexplicably making a feeble attempt to clear the 10th and final hurdle, albeit in the wrong lane. Thank kind of thing can happen to anyone.

I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

And we can overlook that whole "changing lanes and interfering with the runner in the next lane" things too. Why nitpick? Everyone did their best.

Runners run

It definitely could have been.

He could have accidentally used his arms to knock the top bar off the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th hurdles in his lane, before tripping on the remnants of the 7th one, falling into the 8th hurdle of the adjacent lane, getting up and pushing over the 9th hurdle in the adjacent lane and then inexplicably making a feeble attempt to clear the 10th and final hurdle, albeit in the wrong lane. Thank kind of thing can happen to anyone.

I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

And we can overlook that whole "changing lanes and interfering with the runner in the next lane" things too. Why nitpick? Everyone did their best.

Still Funny. 42 minutes later.