Snacks you might keep in hotel for the night before the marathon (Read 318 times)

jfa

I woke up around 3 am yesterday morning to further carb load on a blueberry muffin and yogurt before the marathon.

#artbydmcbride

Hermosaboy is one of the fastest runners I know, and if he does it on poptarts, that's good enough for me!

Runners run

delicate flower

Pork rinds and chocolate covered espresso beans.

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, I just can't eat pop tarts, things like that just don't fill me up at all and this late into training (well, technically tapering) probably wouldn't help me.

Hell, I can't eat cliff bars anymore either. The last time I tried was the morning before the IMHM last year, before then I could always eat at least half the chocolate chip cliff bar but that morning I just couldn't stomach them and I haven't been able to stomach them since.

I think my main plan is a Cinnamon Raisin English Muffin with some peanut butter on it, a banana and coffee. Then I'll carry an Energy Gu to the start and have it like 10 minutes or so before the start.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Mmmmm...beer

My wife's black rice chicken broccoli casserole, it's my go to pre-race meal, I highly reccomend it. Smile  I'll be bringing some with me to the hotel next month (this will be my first travel race).  I eat oatmeal the morning before a race, that's easy at the hotel.  Bagels are also a good one for me.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

A Saucy Wench

Almonds, chocolate chips, apples and UNFROSTED poptarts.

Oh and pretzels.  But those are more for during the marathon if I get sugar nausea from the gu.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've heard from some that nuts are hard to digest when running....but of course there are mixed opinions.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

jpdeaux

Also tried something new just before the start yesterday. I ate about 6 tsps of honey 15 minutes before the start, washing it all down with the rest of my coffee. It definitely did not hurt the day. On the course I took their offer of 2 Gu's and also 5 cups of Gatorade. No fueling issue at all.

A Saucy Wench

I've heard from some that nuts are hard to digest when running....but of course there are mixed opinions.

I eat them the afternoon/day before.  Not the day of.  Any digesting is long done by morning.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Poptarts. Mmmm.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

PRs

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Avocados. Macadamias.

Liz

pace sera, sera

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I used to eat them as a kid, but I've become obsessive with eating slightly healthier or not so processed foods, or foods with so much sugar.

You do see the contradiction of this comment in light of you admitting you eat at TGIFriday's, don't you?  If you don't like PopTarts then just say you don't like them.  Don't try to play it off as they're unhealthy when you readily admit to eating the heavily processed industrial kitchen "foodstuffs" served by a chain restaurant.

As for foods to have in your room there have been good suggestions made already.  Oatmeal, bagels, bananas, peanut butter, chips are all good choices.  What it boils down to, however, is what you like.  Don't like something?  Then don't keep it in the room.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

some call me Tim

Let's see.... I would recommend-

POP TARTS

Not for snacking the night before, though. Early dinner, then nothing but liquids till morning. Some people can afford not to be picky about timing, but I would want to avoid having a late night snack hanging around in my system.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You do see the contradiction of this comment in light of you admitting you eat at TGIFriday's, don't you?  If you don't like PopTarts then just say you don't like them.  Don't try to play it off as they're unhealthy when you readily admit to eating the heavily processed industrial kitchen "foodstuffs" served by a chain restaurant.

As for foods to have in your room there have been good suggestions made already.  Oatmeal, bagels, bananas, peanut butter, chips are all good choices.  What it boils down to, however, is what you like.  Don't like something?  Then don't keep it in the room.

Would I still go to TGI if I lived in Indy or the hotel room had a kitchen I could cook in??? NO....... but because it doesn't have a kitchen in it, I don't really have much of a choice to get carbs or food period whereas I actually have a choice not to buy poptarts at a store when I go in. I've mentioned I don't like poptarts (ANYMORE), and they are an unhealthy choice compared to many other items that I could choose, others might like them and prefer them but I don't. During a huge race I am willing to give a little, not a lot when it comes to food choices. It also isn't just about healthy or not, it's also psychological for me - as a teen and young twenties I was overweight and miserable, pop tarts and other sugary shit were things I ate. These days I do my best to avoid what I used to eat because it just makes me feel like shit but I didn't want to mention that here.

And this thread wasn't so much as asking for advice but as a way to see the habits of others, see how they tick and fuel their engines.

PRs