Reducing inflammation quickly (Read 2027 times)

Any suggestions on how to calm an inflamed piriformis in 7 days? It is a little tough icing it. ;-)

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Don't sit.

But more importantly that is a pretty specific diagnosis.  How'd you arrive there, asking because I have symptoms pointing to a piriformis issue for a while now, not enough to stop my running, but painful to sit and work.

I've got more of a proximal hamstring issue, which has led to or was at least the first noticeable symptom of issues from the left knee to lower left back.  Specifically to the "pain in the butt" you are experiencing, my experience has been that icing (granted a little awkward and uncomfortable) after running has helped.  Also, sitting and rolling around on a tennis ball, while painful, seems to really loosen things up that the "foam roller", "the stick", and stretching just weren't able to target.

Just my personal experience. Might be worth a try.

MTA: Don't try the tennis ball right after icing. Wink

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I fear the piriformis is no different from any other muscle - it's going to heal in its own good time, and nothing you do will make much of a difference.  Just avoid stressing it (pain signals will be very helpful in that!) and wait.  It can make a lot of progress in seven days, but won't be 100%.

Turbolegs

You can reduce inflammation both medically (NSAIDs) or physically (partially following RICE as you cant go through with it all the way for the piriformis). However you should also seek to find out how to prevent a recurrence.

If you didnt do anything abnormal with respect to your running, and assuming you do the required post-run stretching and all that, just see if your support structure in the pelvic region is weak (glutes or hip flexors or lower back even) which might cause you to overwork your piriformis.

See if you can find something useful here.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Feeling the growl again

Piriformis can be difficult to treat.  I never had much luck with NSAIDs.  I never had much luck with resting it either, though some did.  For me it took really working the muscle through the full range of motion consistently and it finally went away.  All resting it did was let it heal tight and the problem recur.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I fixed my piriformis problem with a tennis ball, PVC foam roller, and stretching.  It works, but you have to be dilligent about it.  NSAIDS didn't do anything for me except make me queasy.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Kalsarikännit

I just became aware of nerve/neural flossing.  I have to give it a try.  I have had piriformis for years.  The tennis ball just seems to make it angrier in the long run.  The comments on this video are all positive, so it may be worth checking out.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Prince of Fatness

I just became aware of nerve/neural flossing.  I have to give it a try.  I have had piriformis for years.  The tennis ball just seems to make it angrier in the long run.  The comments on this video are all positive, so it may be worth checking out.

Where the hell have you been?  Heh.

Seriously, those exercises work.  I have gotten away from them.  Thanks for the reminder.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Where the hell have you been?  Heh.

I usually skip the useful info that may help me become a better runner, and gravitate towards the nonsense threads.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

#artbydmcbride

Predisone, but you may need a prescription.

Runners run

Predisone, but you may need a prescription.

What's up  with Predisone? Seems to be the "cure" for many things. I''ve had it prescribed in the past for strange allergic reactions that resulted in rashes all over. It works for inflammation too?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What's up  with Predisone? Seems to be the "cure" for many things. I''ve had it prescribed in the past for strange allergic reactions that resulted in rashes all over. It works for inflammation too?

Steroids, man. Trent is considerably more qualified than I to answer.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Um.  Allergic reactions ARE inflammation.

MTA: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/80604990b2a7476c99701dddbbdb3d4e