Got myself a 405 (Read 1774 times)

Former runner

Guys -- I feel foolish here - but what is a 405???
    It's Garmin's latest GPS running watch.

Ross

Imminent Catastrophe

My 201 has about 13 hours of running time when it's fully charged and I would hope that the 405 would have about the same, but from talking to other people, it appears to have much less. Does anyone know about how long the battery lasts in running mode when it's fully charged to begin with?
      I can't say how long since I've been playing with it and downloading data between runs but it certainly won't have 13 hours running time. Probably more like 6-8 hours. Other comments: I really like this thing but then I'm a gadget geek. There are issues. Mac support is almost nonexistent. I use BootCamp and it works fine, but even the windows software is crappy. Garmin makes great hardware but not so great software. They just released software version 2.20 which is supposed to fix some issues, including the power save problems and pace mode (the pace displayed on the watch tended to be much slower than actual pace). Also some people have had problems with the bezel, especially when wet. Satellite acquisition is really fast, much faster than a new handheld unit that I have. Once they release the Mac driver so I don't have to use BootCamp I will be much happier. John A--the 405 is the Garmin Forerunner 405 GPS watch, with heart rate monitor: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=11039

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ultramarathon/triathlete

wow, you really can't turn it off? That blows. I keep my 305 in a drawer and sometimes (though admittedly rarely) go a week without using it and as long as it was not already low to begin with, it comes out ready to use when I turn it on. That's dumb that you can't turn it off, but maybe they just really expect people to use it as an everyday watch now that it is so small and practical. Still, if I had the 405, I'd only use it on runs. Gonna hold onto my 305 for a while I guess.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

A Saucy Wench

OK - not that I am planning on a 405 because I actually like the larger displays, but if you cant turn it off, can you make it not beep? Does it not beep when it loses satellite? Cause that would be annoying. Someday I may spring for a 205 or 305.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Former runner

There is no way to turn the 405 off but it does switch into a power save mode that supposedly lasts 2 weeks. Basically when you are not in some training or GPS mode it switches over to just being a watch. It turns the GPS off in this mode so it doesn't use as much power. It also doesn't beep in watch mode. You could store it in a drawer without a problem. I use mine almost every day and I still only charge it twice a week.

Ross

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Time to install boot Camp
              What is boot camp? Also on my 305 when in course mode I could display a rudimentary map. I don't see this option in the 405? Am I just not looking in the right place?

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
              My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
              Ride 112 miles.
              Run 26.2 miles.
              Then brag for the rest of your life.
              -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Imminent Catastrophe

What is boot camp? Also on my 305 when in course mode I could display a rudimentary map. I don't see this option in the 405? Am I just not looking in the right place?
                Boot Camp runs windows on a Mac. There are a couple other apps that do it as well. What I do is download the runs in Windows then export the file to Ascent on the Mac side.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

still alive

Mac support is coming 3rd quarter this year...so you shouldn't have much longer to wait! Smile
                  In Garmin Speak, that means we should have it by mid 2010.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

OK - not that I am planning on a 405 because I actually like the larger displays, but if you cant turn it off, can you make it not beep? Does it not beep when it loses satellite? Cause that would be annoying. Someday I may spring for a 205 or 305.
                    Yeah you can turn both the alert beeps and menu beeps off. I finally got mine syncing with my computer after some frustrating searching around for what exactly I was supposed to download and experimenting. If anyone is having trouble getting the software installed, I may be able to help. There is a warning to NOT plug in the ANT stick before installing software. I tried everything to get the software installed but I kept getting the error message "Out of memory." As a last ditch effort I tried installing WITH the ANT stick plugged in, going against the numerous warnings, and everything installed smoothly with no errors!
                    2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
                      Just curious . . . is the satellite acquisition really a lot better with the 405? I've got a 305, and the most annoying thing is how long it takes to lock onto the satellites especially in big cities with a lot of skyscrapers.
                        Just curious . . . is the satellite acquisition really a lot better with the 405? I've got a 305, and the most annoying thing is how long it takes to lock onto the satellites especially in big cities with a lot of skyscrapers.
                        A lot better? No - not really. I found it to be a little better. HOWEVER, one of the things I noticed was that 305's could really vary unit to unit... We've got three or four guys in the office with them, and some consistently found satellites faster - even when we ran together. I'm the only one in the office with a 405 so I don't know if those units will vary. My 405's only a little better than my 305 at picking up satellites, though.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.