Validate/Critique my training plan (Read 144 times)

WheresMyMule

Hi all. First post. I am a 45 year old male. I started running just under three months ago. I did run (poorly) cross country in high school, but my main sport was hockey. Ten years ago I was very active in cycling for a couple of years (~150 miles/wk, raced on the velodrome).

I'm 6' 4". I was 253 when I started running and am now 237. I hope to complete a half marathon on January 3 at somewhere right around 225 lbs.

In July I ran/walked 14.7 miles. August was 27.92. September, 49.6 - all running. September 14th I stepped up to 5 days a week for a total of 14.7 miles that week. Last week was 16.3 and this week will finish out at 16.7.

I adapted a HM training plan from the Higdon web site to fit my current schedule. I coach Little League fall ball on T/Th's so those are my mandated off days for the next couple of weeks. After that I am more flexible.

Here's the link: 14WeeksRed Nose Half Marathon9/28/2014 – 1/4/2015

Mondays alternate between hill repeats and 400m intervals at race pace. Each increase 1 rep each week. The hill is about 60 ft of climb over 200 meters, the recovery is about a half mile.

Wednesdays is my group run at the LRS. This ends up being like a tempo run for me now as the group runs a pace that is ok for me for about a mile (8:30 -9:00 mpm) but not yet maintainable for distance. I slow down and recover when I have to, they wait at turns and we end up back together for the next mile or so. This will change over time as the pace should stay consistent as my ability to maintain it grows.

Saturday runs are supposed to alternate between easy pace and race pace (current 5k), with 3 races mixed in. I have scheduled a 5k and a 5k biathlon and left one date open.

Sundays are long slow runs. 1 mile longer each week up to 12 miles.

TLDR: Old fat guy tries to go from couch to half marathon in 5.5 months.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

It seems like you are doing nothing but hard workouts. I think you need to add in a long run at an easy pace. Do you really need to do hill repeats?

WheresMyMule

Those are on Sundays, adding 1 mile per week up to 12. (edited to include. sorry.)

The hills feel awesome and I do think they are important. I have had lower back pain and sciatica like symptoms for almost two years. Stretching out my hamstrings has really helped and building quad strength will help more.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Whatever works, I guess. I would say one LR and two speed workouts per week is enough. The rest should be easy runs, but that's just my opinion. When I was training for my first HM I realized that two speed workouts was one too many and I switched that to an easy run. I did one LR and one speed workout on the track. All other miles were easy pace.

I'm no running pro but I'm 100% positive you can do a half marathon by January.  I also did the 12 week Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan from 15 miles avg. a week right up to a HM and completely blew my expectations away.  That was on 4 running days a week, too.  It looks like you're doing a much more aggressive plan.

As with hill repeats, I'm a big fan.  It builds leg muscle strength that you wouldn't necessarily get from flat running or intervals.  Not to mention the cardio benefits.

IMO, the interval/hill run may be too much to handle the day after your long runs.  Perhaps swap that out with the Friday easy run?

Like Jack said, long easy runs are key.  I see you took the week of Thanksgiving off of a long run, that shouldn't be much of a problem as your race is over a month from that.

My only other suggestion would be to switch out the Dec 29th and 31 runs with easy runs and just do some 400m HM pace repeats every mile or so.  From what I've read, it takes anyhwere between 8-14 days to get the benefit from a workout.  So if those last two strength workouts feel too tough, you're doing them too hard.

As I said, it appears to be an aggressive training plan for a new runner.  If you get too tired, don't overdo it! Cut back on the speed or strength workouts.

Good luck and post back with your time!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I like hills as well, I only put that comment on there before he edited his original post. It looked like he did nothing but hard workouts and hills are hard.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

You'e only been running 3 months and are overweight and are doing hills, fast paces, and intervals. Bad idea. Dude, you should be running slow and easy for at least 6 more months and work on increasing miles per week. Increasing volume while having fast workouts (and a bigger body) are likely to get you injured.

More miles is the ticket to getting faster for you until you've been at it for a year or so and get the weight down some more. After 12-18 months of running, then add ONE faster workout per week (or hills but not both). After another 6-12 months, then think about another faster workout per week. Most of your speed and endurance gains are going to come from consistent slow running.

Your body will be making huge adjustments during that first 2 years and will be prone to injury. The speed work is too risky and too soon for you. If you think you MUST do something for speed now (you don't) then keep the hills but stop the intervals.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

You'e only been running 3 months and are overweight and are doing hills, fast paces, and intervals. Bad idea. Dude, you should be running slow and easy for at least 6 more months and work on increasing miles per week. Increasing volume while having fast workouts (and a bigger body) are likely to get you injured.

More miles is the ticket to getting faster for you until you've been at it for a year or so and get the weight down some more. After 12-18 months of running, then add ONE faster workout per week (or hills but not both). After another 6-12 months, then think about another faster workout per week. Most of your speed and endurance gains are going to come from consistent slow running.

Your body will be making huge adjustments during that first 2 years and will be prone to injury. The speed work is too risky and too soon for you. If you think you MUST do something for speed now (you don't) then keep the hills but stop the intervals.

+1

The Red Nose HM is not a hilly course. There are some hills but it is an easy course(Columbus, GA), Looks like I will miss it again.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

The most important thing is getting in the miles. If you have to slow down or turn an interval workout into an easy run to handle the mileage, then do it.

Hills are money.

I definitely think you can run a half by Jan 3. Good luck.

Runners run

WheresMyMule

Follow up:

I finished just short of either of my goals (2:00 or breaking the Marathon WR) in 2:03.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations!  That's a great time for your first HM.  Hope you have plans for some spring races!