Skechers Won the Boston Marathon (Read 594 times)

Half Fanatic #846

I just ordered a pair of Skechers trail shoes to go with my other 2 pairs of Go Bionics. Looking forward to some trail running!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I was checking out at Brookshire's (regional grocery chain) this afternoon, just having finished some speedwork in my GoRun 2's, and the lady behind me asked, "Excuse me, are those...are those Skechers shoes?"

I answered yes, ma'am...they've started making good running shoes recently!

She said, "Aww, I used to love Skechers, I really need to get another pair!"

I said I really liked how these feel, and mentioned "the guy that won the Boston Marathon this year wears them."  She said that was awesome!

She...I hope this doesn't sound bad, but she didn't really look like a runner, but then again, when I glanced down at her feet, I think she might have been wearing something by Mizuno.  Tough to tell, because her pants covered all but the toes and some of the laces.  So who knows, maybe she's a former runner who will be inspired to get back out there because Skechers makes running shoes now!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

degregorius

As we pulled into the shopping center where it was located...

Ta-dahhh!

Pickings were pretty slim, it being an outlet and all, but I did walk out with a new pair of GoRun 2's for a grand total of $46.06!  I like how they feel (in the store, at least...haven't run outside in them and probably won't get to for a couple of days), reminds me a lot of Brooks PureConnect - the original ones, which I never got around to actually buying, but liked how they did seem to encourage my midfoot to hit first on similar store jogs.

There's an outlet store  west of me where I bought a pair of GoRun 2s along with a pair of GoWalks.  (They had the buy one get the other half price sale going on.

)I also bought a pair of GoBionic trails there.  This leads to a question: anything wrong with running  in trail shoes on pavement.  There are no trails around, but I was going to wait until next winter to run in them.

Half Fanatic #846

I also bought a pair of GoBionic trails... This leads to a question: anything wrong with running  in trail shoes on pavement.  There are no trails around, but I was going to wait until next winter to run in them.

The only thing I've heard negative about that is someone mentioned the trail shoe seemed to wear faster on pavement...I haven't run in my new ones on pavement, but the only difference to me is that they will have more cushioning than my Go Bionics.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Nothing really "wrong" with running roads with trail shoes... heck, I see people wearing trail shoes on a treadmill sometimes (ugh.. makes me cringe).

Just not the best tool for the job and yea... they will wear fast

---------

Still kicking

I wear Hoka Mafate 3's on asphalt. They are Hokas most hard core max cush, max tread trail shoes. The tread is bullet proof, and wearing much slower than the street Hokas I have. So for some models, trail tread wearing faster is a myth. They are heavy and thick and make a great training shoe for road marathons for me. I'm not a trail runner at all. They are awesome in the snow and wet conditions too.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

degregorius

Just not the best tool for the job and yea... they will wear fast

Well then, back in the closet they go either untll a) I have an opportunity for trail running, or b) winter snow.

Until then I ran in a new pair of GoRun2s yesterday, which I got at a Skechers Warehouse. Good fit. Short lunchtime interval work.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/567331555

degregorius

I meant. Skechers Outlet.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Wanted to comment on my own Sketcher shoe mileage expectations. When I started running in 2008 I was landing heavily on the outside corner of my right foot (unconsciously correcting for old left leg injuries I think) and was never able to get more than 250 miles out of a pair of shoes not matter which model or expense. Every shoe would wear thru on the outside corner of the right shoe, even with little wear on the ball of the left foot. Right shoe throwaway at that point, but who can run with one shoe.

I started transitioning to barefoot and minimal shoes in 2010 using Vibram Sprints & Bikilia, and Saucony Hattori's. In March 2013 I purchased my first pair of Sketchers Go Bionics because of its light weight, cushioning, and inexpensive price and an outlet store. Fell in love with them and promptly made them my go to shoes, and after not being able to find them at local running stores ordered two more Bionics and a pair of Mebs from Amazon. I have 468 mi on the first pair and will continue to use them, although they are showing wear . Interestingly, with 119mi on the Mebs, they are showing more wear that my other Bionics. It has a 4mm heel drop and that might be the difference in not landing mid-foot, not sure. I know the Bionics were designed to reinforce mid-foot landing, not sure if the Mebs were. I tried on a pair of Go Run 3's at an outlet the other day and liked the feel of them. Might try them, but am concerned about the 4mm heel drop.

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Wow, great feedback thank you!

All of our shoes, regardless of "drop" are designed with M-Strike, which is a unique design we utilize to guide the foot to a more comfortable mid foot strike.    The MEB Speed 2 is designed to be a racing shoe, so it's true you might not get the mileage out of the Speed 2 than you might out of the GoBionics.

The GOrun3 is my everyday shoe... I hope you give it a shot as well!

Thanks again

Wanted to comment on my own Sketcher shoe mileage expectations. When I started running in 2008 I was landing heavily on the outside corner of my right foot (unconsciously correcting for old left leg injuries I think) and was never able to get more than 250 miles out of a pair of shoes not matter which model or expense. Every shoe would wear thru on the outside corner of the right shoe, even with little wear on the ball of the left foot. Right shoe throwaway at that point, but who can run with one shoe.

I started transitioning to barefoot and minimal shoes in 2010 using Vibram Sprints & Bikilia, and Saucony Hattori's. In March 2013 I purchased my first pair of Sketchers Go Bionics because of its light weight, cushioning, and inexpensive price and an outlet store. Fell in love with them and promptly made them my go to shoes, and after not being able to find them at local running stores ordered two more Bionics and a pair of Mebs from Amazon. I have 468 mi on the first pair and will continue to use them, although they are showing wear . Interestingly, with 119mi on the Mebs, they are showing more wear that my other Bionics. It has a 4mm heel drop and that might be the difference in not landing mid-foot, not sure. I know the Bionics were designed to reinforce mid-foot landing, not sure if the Mebs were. I tried on a pair of Go Run 3's at an outlet the other day and liked the feel of them. Might try them, but am concerned about the 4mm heel drop.

---------

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow, great feedback thank you!

All of our shoes, regardless of "drop" are designed with M-Strike, which is a unique design we utilize to guide the foot to a more comfortable mid foot strike.    The MEB Speed 2 is designed to be a racing shoe, so it's true you might not get the mileage out of the Speed 2 than you might out of the GoBionics.

The GOrun3 is my everyday shoe... I hope you give it a shot as well!

Thanks again

Seth, based on this thread and the Skechers website descriptions, the GoBionics (or possibly Mebs) appear to be the closest alternative to Vibrams; would you agree?  As a VFF user, I'm not sure I would like any significant heel drop or greater weight.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Seth, based on this thread and the Skechers website descriptions, the GoBionics (or possibly Mebs) appear to be the closest alternative to Vibrams; would you agree?  As a VFF user, I'm not sure I would like any significant heel drop or greater weight.

Exactly. It is almost as light as the Saucony Hattori but with more cushioning. I always replace laces with elastic ones because of foot pain issues I've had in the past. My left foot is slightly larger than my right because of past injuries in that leg and I always seem to have problems lacing shoes no matter which methods I used. The Bionics are now my non-BF go to shoe. I wish local running stores would stock them so I could support them. Even have hard time finding them in DSW, although have seen Go Run's and other Sketcher Performance shoes there. So Amazon is my current primary supplier. Should also mention a Bionic variation I have, Go Bionic Prana, a bright colored version I got on clearance from Amazon.

Seth - I tried the Go Run 3 on at an outlet store and liked the fiit/feel of it. My wife rusher me out of there so I didn't buy at that point. I'll be keeping an eye out on for them locally for when I finally need to replace the Charcoal/Lime Bionics. At 470 mi the right heel is almost smooth, but there is still depth and cushioning. Am tempted to swap them out but am curious as to how far I can get them before being forced to. Being retired and on fixed income I'm a really cheap SOB and don't want to retire them to quickly! LOL

bob e v
                          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, it's also confusing with all the submodels they have.  What are the differences between the Prana vs. Fuel vs. 2 vs. whatever else they offer?  Why so many variants?  One other concern:  I'm guessing that with a more conventional shoe, I can't count on the 1200+ miles that I get from VFFs.

Yeah, it's also confusing with all the submodels they have.  What are the differences between the Prana vs. Fuel vs. 2 vs. whatever else they offer?  Why so many variants?

My take as well. There are like a million different Go Run somethings and each comes in like a hundred colors. Calm down, Skechers.

It's hard to tell the performance shoes from the fashion shoes if you search online. A search for "Go Run 3" returns a shit ton of results and most of them are not the shoe you're looking for. Usually you get a lot of Go Run Ride 3, or Go Run Bionic 3 or whatever else and none of my usual running shoe sources like runningwarehouse carry them.

I had the Go Run 2, they were a good light, flexible, simple shoe. I did a lot of training in them and raced a marathon in them. My only complaints were I could feel every pebble (let alone sharp rock) in the road and they did seem to break down kind of fast--the upper as much as the outsole. I wound up retiring them with under 400 miles on them, where normally I expect to get well over 500. But in fairness they were so comfortable that I had taken to wearing them as walking around shoes sometimes and that probably shortened their running lifespan.

I would definitely try the Go Run 3's if I shopping for them didn't make me dizzy and I could find them for cheap.

Runners run

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The best of the best don't run like the rest.

What's on their feet has no real impact to changing that reality for those who believe any product will improve them.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong