Comfort Foods (Read 848 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like my cream of mushroom
    You're speakin' my language. I think Campbell's CoM soup with grilled sharp WI cheddar on my grandma's Swedish limpa bread might just be THE ultimate comfort food meal. How could I have forgotten that combo?! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

waterfordrider

Team Effort

Must have been all those potatoes. BTW, How is dididit feeling? Smile

www.runninngahead.com/groups/5000MC/forum

waterfordrider

Team Effort

You're speakin' my language. I think Campbell's CoM soup with grilled sharp WI cheddar on my grandma's Swedish limpa bread might just be THE ultimate comfort food meal. How could I have forgotten that combo?! Smile
        I don't know about the cheddar and although I have never eaten it, the limpa bread sounds good. The other comfort food I almost forgot about is a nice bowl of peppermint stick ice cream with a little chocolate sauce. Of course you need to be feeling good to have ice cream so you can taste the different flavors. Wink

Queen of 3rd Place

I make baked mac n cheese with about 2/3 cottage cheese and 1/3 sharp cheddar. Squishy-cheesy-good. It's made a convert of many non-mac-n-cheese eaters. Then wrap up in a blankie, make a hot toddy, and...good nii-iight... Arla

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Must have been all those potatoes. BTW, How is dididit feeling? Smile
            Big grin did's doing pretty well...he still has a bit of a cough, but we're finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel with our respective bugs. Peppermint stick ice cream...seriously, that is my family's preferred flavor. I don't even like peppermint all that well, but stick it in vanilla ice cream (or frozen custard--even better) and it becomes frozen heaven. We bought a frozen custard cake for Christmas this year. Culver's frozen peppermint stick custard with chocolate drizzled all over the top. It was REALLY good!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I make baked mac n cheese with about 2/3 cottage cheese and 1/3 sharp cheddar. Squishy-cheesy-good. It's made a convert of many non-mac-n-cheese eaters. Then wrap up in a blankie, make a hot toddy, and...good nii-iight... Arla
              That sounds very good--recipe? Hmmm...I think I might have all the ingredients on hand, too... Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

It's a mom recipe, so not very exact: Boil up about 1 1/2 - 2c of macaroni - (make it al dente, since you're going to bake it later) and drain well - I make enough to fill my 1.5 qt. casserole Add cottage cheese until the mac is nicely coated (I use about 3/4 of a pint) - or to taste Add grated cheddar to taste (at least 1/4 lb - more to taste) Put the whole mess in a casserole, splash a little milk in (maybe 1/4 c - this is just so it doesn't dry out), I like to top it with some more cheddar, maybe some parmesan, and a sprinkle of breadcrumbs to make it crispy on top. Bake at 350F for 25 - 30 min - it will get really bubbly and start to brown slightly on top. Let cool slightly before serving. This and just a salad or veg on the side is a pretty hearty meal! This reheats well - makes a great leftover, travels well to the office. Arla

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that sounds so easy...hmmmm...I think once I can taste again that I'm going to have to try that. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gah...what happens when the 2 adults in the household have spent the past week sick? Their eating standards go out the door when their appetites begin to return. For dinner we are have a DiGiorno rising-crust pizza (whole wheat, so it's got that going for it)...and then ice cream cookie sandwiches. Blush

~ Sarah Kay

waterfordrider

Team Effort

Gah...what happens when the 2 adults in the household have spent the past week sick? Their eating standards go out the door when their appetites begin to return. For dinner we are have a DiGiorno rising-crust pizza (whole wheat, so it's got that going for it)...and then ice cream cookie sandwiches. Blush
                      Hey, when you return to the living then you can worry about your diet Wink Pizza sounds good. It's too bad you don't have a great little local pizzeria that delivers, even 2 miles out in the country like we do. Big grin Big grin Our problem is it is too easy to order in when neither one of us wants to cook Cool

Maggie & Molly

I've been casually reading the posts and now I totally must have tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch. Yum.. I will use my Veggie Pepperjack cheese though so it will have a slight kick

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                        Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

It's a mom recipe, so not very exact: Boil up about 1 1/2 - 2c of macaroni - (make it al dente, since you're going to bake it later) and drain well - I make enough to fill my 1.5 qt. casserole Add cottage cheese until the mac is nicely coated (I use about 3/4 of a pint) - or to taste Add grated cheddar to taste (at least 1/4 lb - more to taste) Put the whole mess in a casserole, splash a little milk in (maybe 1/4 c - this is just so it doesn't dry out), I like to top it with some more cheddar, maybe some parmesan, and a sprinkle of breadcrumbs to make it crispy on top. Bake at 350F for 25 - 30 min - it will get really bubbly and start to brown slightly on top. Let cool slightly before serving. This and just a salad or veg on the side is a pretty hearty meal! This reheats well - makes a great leftover, travels well to the office. Arla
                          Thanks for posting this! DH is going to make it for me tonight! Can't wait!