Holiday Running Streak (Read 2691 times)

Fair is fair.  I think it should be noted for those with injury/illness as they probably would still be in it otherwise.

Keeping mine going still.  Longest in quite awhile.  Feeling good.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

My streak was over 80 days (10/3 to 12/28), ~10 miles a day when I stopped...but, while explanations are worth something, I also feel it's fair to say I didn't complete the streak--I may have ran longer than "the duration," but I did not run from Thanksgiving to the New Year.

so, I'm being nit picky but Sean, you get an * next to your "completed" because you did the length required but not the actual set timeframes.  Ok, that's cool.  I stopped because I was on death's door and I don't get an explanation, nor does anyone else that stopped for valid reasons.  Just doesn't seem right.  What's fair is fair I would think.  That's all.  Rant over.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

You guys have all done very well to run for a streak.

And discussion of a streak publibly such as you guys have been doing also has consequences.  I read it and felt compelled to start my own streak.  This is having some side-effects:

1)  More resolve to be consistent with my running and not be lazy on days that I should run.

2)  Running each day which prevents negative feelings on skipped days and  instead generates feelings of pride and accomplishment.

3)  A correlating increase in weekly mileage that would have not othwewise occurred because I would have skipped days.

All these side effects are excellent, so I will keep it rolling as long as I can. :-)  So thanks for mentioning 'streak" because just the mention of it got me going :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Seanv2

so, I'm being nit picky but Sean, you get an * next to your "completed" because you did the length required but not the actual set timeframes.  Ok, that's cool.  I stopped because I was on death's door and I don't get an explanation, nor does anyone else that stopped for valid reasons.  Just doesn't seem right.  What's fair is fair I would think.  That's all.  Rant over.

I asked people what I should do for those of us who completed the number of days, but stopped early. The response I got was put an asterisk next to the name.  I've removed it for myself and changed it to "stopped".  Last thing I want out of this thread is for people to think I am favoring myself.  I left the asterisk next to kmays.

I'm happy to note the reasons people stopped on the first page.  Cherrieruns, for you I have changed it to stopped due to illness.  If anyone else wants me to note the reason they stopped, send me a message.  

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

Looks like you missed mine...stopped due to illness.  Err.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My streak was over 80 days (10/3 to 12/28), ~10 miles a day when I stopped...but, while explanations are worth something, I also feel it's fair to say I didn't complete the streak--I may have ran longer than "the duration," but I did not run from Thanksgiving to the New Year.

I'm with you on this one.  The rules are the rules, you ran A streak, but not the one specified.

Sean, thanks for putting this together and making all the updates, etc.  I came into the streak kind of haphazardly just to see what would happen, and it has really helped keep me motivated.  Now it kind of has a life of its own.  Whether or not that's a good thing is another discussion...

Now it kind of has a life of its own.  Whether or not that's a good thing is another discussion...

Yup, this. I question a streak for a streak's sake. If that is what gets you out the door that's great, but knowing when to take a rest day is worth much more, IMHO. Ofcourse this from one who is on day 3 of the flu and have not run since Jan 1. But I could have posted this Jan 1 too. I would think someone running >70-80 mpw would have to do 7 days and hence build up a streak, but aside from that the value is lost on me.

for sure.  I am still very wary from IT Band issues from nearly 3 years ago.  I've never been able to be consistently above 30 mpw--the streak is helping get some of the trust in my legs back, but I haven't actually increased mileage.  Once school starts next week, I don't really see how I can keep the streak going and it's not a priority.  It was a fun experiment, though, and I do feel like I've learned something...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

All said, though, a big THANK YOU to Sean for maintaining this thread!  Lots of people benefited in a number of ways as a result.  I know I did.

+1

All said, though, a big THANK YOU to Sean for maintaining this thread!  Lots of people benefited in a number of ways as a result.  I know I did.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                      Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

+1.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

+1

Seanv2

I benefited as well, thanks to everyone who took part!

There are still some people I haven't heard from, and frankly I don't have time to log stalk everyone.  If you want your status on the first page updated, send me a message or comment here!

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Slo

I benefited as well, thanks to everyone who took part!

There are still some people I haven't heard from, and frankly I don't have time to log stalk everyone.  If you want your status on the first page updated, send me a message or comment here!

Complete!

Maggie & Molly

I asked people what I should do for those of us who completed the number of days, but stopped early. The response I got was put an asterisk next to the name.  I've removed it for myself and changed it to "stopped".  Last thing I want out of this thread is for people to think I am favoring myself.  I left the asterisk next to kmays.

I'm happy to note the reasons people stopped on the first page.  Cherrieruns, for you I have changed it to stopped due to illness.  If anyone else wants me to note the reason they stopped, send me a message.  

thanks, Sean.  You can totally keep your asterik as you did the required days.   I didn't think you were favoring yourself, it was more that others that had stopped due to injury were noted but those of us that stopped due to illness were not.  Thank you again for hearing me and responding.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                                Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363