Avoiding fumes while running (Read 725 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So we had the thread on the disgusting odor of cigarette smoke, which got me to thinking about the other thing I don't like to breathe, especially while running - car and truck exhaust.  Does it bother you?  What do you do to avoid it?

I recall that carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin hundreds of times more strongly than oxygen, and there are the other nasty things - nitrates, particulate matter, and probably a bunch of carcinogens that are entering our bodies as we run through a cloud of exhaust.  I actually hold my breath as I run across a street, and in general I avoid running near busy streets.

Paranoia or prudence?

I seem to remember someone putting an animal in a cage on a streetcorner in Mexico City a number of years ago and it dying in short order.  May be urban legend, never tried to corroborate. It's definitely bad for you, can't really say how bad. I normally head towards parks or country roads when I can, but when I can't I still run. :shrug:

So we had the thread on the disgusting odor of cigarette smoke, which got me to thinking about the other thing I don't like to breathe, especially while running - car and truck exhaust.  Does it bother you?  What do you do to avoid it?

Mostly I don't run by the the road. Even when I lived in the middle of London (some years ago now) I could still manage to get most miles in on either very quiet roads or away from the roads.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I can't understand why I see runners running alongside some of our busiest streets when there are quiet residential streets just a block or two away.

MTA:  Not only because of the fumes; it's an aesthetic thing, too.

I try to stay off busy roads and stick to the bike and running trails, not so much for exhaust but cars swerving at me can and cig. butts tossed at me

its just safer to stay off roads, it also seems like somebody always needs directions someplaceCool

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

its just safer to stay off roads, it also seems like somebody always needs directions someplaceCool

My pet peeve......when in the middle of a run someone asks for directions......farging annoying!

kcam

Trails, of course!  I'll give up my run  rather than run on a busy road.  Luckily I only have to make that judgement on the very rare occasion, as in a vacation.

I don't mind people asking for directions unless I happen to be in the middle of a defined workout - but I don't do those on the roads anyway.

BeeRunB

I recall that carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin hundreds of times more strongly than oxygen, and there are the other nasty things - nitrates, particulate matter, and probably a bunch of carcinogens that are entering our bodies as we run through a cloud of exhaust.  I actually hold my breath as I run across a street, and in general I avoid running near busy streets.

Paranoia or prudence?

I stay off the roads--bike trails, trails, and TM. Never liked car and truck exhaust directly in my space.

Although in winter there is some smoke in the air on occasion from

wood-burning stoves.

--JimmyCool

JimR

Check wind direction and stay upwind from the roadway if possible.  Fumes are one thing but I'm more concerned over water droplets kicked up on wet roads, dust, dried salt in the winter, and so forth...I'm not interested in breathing all that stuff in so I always check wind directions and run to make sure that stuff blows away from me and not toward.

#artbydmcbride

I love running on the beach bike path, the lovely fresh air blowing off of the ocean.  Cool   When the run is going well, even the bikers and the seagulls don't bother me. 

What I really hate is the part of the AFC race where they take you down this long out and back stretch and all these trucks are stopped on one side of the road with their engines running....and you have to pass them twice, breathing all of their fumes.  A good 2 mile stretch of them.   I just want to shout "turn off your damn motors, you're not moving til we all run past anyway!"   Tight lips

Runners run

Trails and bike paths are great...if you have them.

I am fortunate enough to be able to avoid major roads, but I know a lot of people who can't.

What smell do I hate the most?

Dead, rotting deer (or other animal) carcases.  Live in a semi-rural, semi-suburban area...you get lots of dead deer.

Jeff

Wing

Joggaholic

Although in winter there is some smoke in the air on occasion from wood-burning stoves.

For me, the most distracting kind of smoke is the one that makes the whole neighborhood smells like delicious tender juicy BBQ......

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What smell do I hate the most?

Dead, rotting deer (or other animal) carcases.  Live in a semi-rural, semi-suburban area...you get lots of dead deer.

Not pleasant, but arguably less of a health hazard than vehicle exhaust.  If you don't eat them.

MrH

What do you do to avoid it?

Run on trails or on the treadmill.

And it's not some much the fumes. It seems like the drivers are trying to run me over most of the time.

Maybe I need to work on my technique for crossing roads, but who has time for that.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

an amazing likeness

I'm often running on fumes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.