How many half marathons are too much? (Read 859 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

I did 6 HMs last year. Including a double (2 in 2 days).

This year my goals are elsewhere, but maybe 2014 I'll plan on 12 in the year

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Half Fanatic #846

I'm 66, 2008 HM PR only 2:14 but just for the heck of it I ran four HMs on consecutive weekends last Oct. for fun. I knew in advance I wasn't going to "push it" or race and I did one or two midweek runs in-between the HMs. Recovered fairly quickly with no problems (on the 5th weekend I ran a 10K). So, I'd say racing 2-3 HMs a month apart should be no problem - your monthly mileage will probably decrease, though.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

run4loss

"How many half marathons are too much?"  I am not sure but if you need some motivation here is an awesome woman.

http://www.therunnerstrip.com/2013/01/eldrith-gosney/

PS  She chicked us earlier this year at mile 12  of a 22 mile race with that Big smile.   Big grin

roadrunnermom

I'm 66, 2008 HM PR only 2:14 but just for the heck of it I ran four HMs on consecutive weekends last Oct. for fun. I knew in advance I wasn't going to "push it" or race and I did one or two midweek runs in-between the HMs. Recovered fairly quickly with no problems (on the 5th weekend I ran a 10K). So, I'd say racing 2-3 HMs a month apart should be no problem - your monthly mileage will probably decrease, though.

Thanks so much and I'm very impressed with you!

Ask Knifey how many HM's are too much. 58 races of 13.1 miles or more last year. Pretty awesome. Big grin

I totally missed this! Thanks! So many threads these days...but you can imagine one with half marathon in the title did catch my eye.

Like everyone said, it depends on what your goals are. I averaged 40 miles per week...ran 16 or 17 double half marathon weekends. I did not race them. I picked 2 in the spring to race and 2 in the fall to race. The 2 in the fall were right around the 3 fall marathons I ran (as easy long runs). I think the marathons really helped in my fall 1/2 PR's.  I had no problem recovering from the 1/2's or even the fulls because I ran them so easy. The worst I felt was after the Monumental, my first sub 2 - it took me about 2 weeks to recover, which is probably the norm?

Good luck with your goals!

Feeling the growl again

I totally missed this! Thanks! So many threads these days...but you can imagine one with half marathon in the title did catch my eye.

Like everyone said, it depends on what your goals are. I averaged 40 miles per week...ran 16 or 17 double half marathon weekends. I did not race them. I picked 2 in the spring to race and 2 in the fall to race. The 2 in the fall were right around the 3 fall marathons I ran (as easy long runs). I think the marathons really helped in my fall 1/2 PR's.  I had no problem recovering from the 1/2's or even the fulls because I ran them so easy. The worst I felt was after the Monumental, my first sub 2 - it took me about 2 weeks to recover, which is probably the norm?

Good luck with your goals!

Holy crap... that's a lot of HMs!   Shocked

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I try to run at least a 10 miler each month and/or a HM, my favorite distance. (PR 1:48)

I ran a 20k trail race early this month and planning on running a HM next weekend.

I prefer trail running and because I travel frequently, I am constantly 'in training' just in case there is a race where I will be.

I consider 5ks and 10ks 'sprints' and since I am not a sprinter, I don't run these unless it's for a cause close to my heart.  But I really have to 'train' for these.

Race events can be expensive and I try to register for trail races first, then road races second.

I run marathons at least once/year although I ran 2 in 2011, (PR 4:10).  I am currently training for my next marathon, hoping to finish sub 4:00.

As I have become more 'mature,' and experienced, I have incorporated training smarter and recovering smarter.

I do well, and tend to place in my age group.

As with most things in my life, running is one of the activities I enjoy and my health benefits from it.

I'm 52, and a grandmother of 2.

You're amazing!!!  Big grin  AWESOME!!!  VERY IMPRESSIVE!!

NYCNorma

eleventy

Better I Leave

LOL! And thanks for all the fish!!!

I'm registered for 5 halfs and 2 tough mudders this year. The one I'm worried about is Elk Grove in April...2 weeks after the Oakland Half.