What's your favorite cross-training exercise? (Read 2231 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Biking? Swimming? Chasing your kids at the park?

Roads were made for journeys...

Volleyball and rollerblading
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Boy, I admire rollerbladers! The few times I've done it I've managed to hurt myself, including a majorly sprained ankle! I know there's a trick to being able to slow down... but for the life of me I can't manage that durn heel brake! Tee hee hee! Kind of like how I slow down when I'm downhill skiing... fall down!!!

You'll ruin your knees!

I guess since I commuted to work this morning I would have to say cycling! This is ride your bike to work week, with Friday the focal day! I bought a pair of rollerblades once and later that day, managed to wreck my knee (no rollerblade involvement, it was a coaching injury). Later that week, I hobbled into the sporting goods store and returned a brand new pair of rollerblades Black eye Cry. Never tried it! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, My! I never knew coaching was so dangerous! ... Hm... Or was it the coach who did it to you? Wink I tore my ACL in a taekwondo class a couple of years ago. That injury led to surgery... and me not going back to the class. After putting on a hunk of weight, I started running and here I am! I loved the class and would go back in a heartbeat if I thought my knee could take the stress of the twisting, jumping, and landing. It's a tad expensive but I'd find a way to make it work. Funny how we always find a way to make time or find the money for our addictions. Smile

I personally prefer lifting weights. I do higher reps at lower weights to avoid getting too bulky. I've been doing it for a long time, and I have had only one running injury in the last 10 years, and that was due to bad shoes. I am firmly convinced that lifting weights has kept me injury free.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like weights, too...though I have a beautiful pair of inline skates in my closet that I've used barely once (just up and down the street). I had inline skates years ago and was just starting to get the hang of it...then I had my son and my feet "grew," so I bought a new pair right before Fall last year. I had fully intended to use them, but now I run every chance I can. Soon I need to take my DS down to the bike path with his little bike and skate along next to him. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Boy, I admire rollerbladers! The few times I've done it I've managed to hurt myself, including a majorly sprained ankle! I know there's a trick to being able to slow down... but for the life of me I can't manage that durn heel brake! Tee hee hee! Kind of like how I slow down when I'm downhill skiing... fall down!!!
                  You sound like me! I had a really bad wipeout on my skates going down a hill one time. Ended up hitting a metal fence over a deep gorge on my alma mater campus. DH laughed his butt off, but at the same time felt really awful for me--especially since all the bruises down one side of my body made it look like I'd been beaten and strangers probably assumed that they had come from him (yeah, the same man who doesn't like squishing bugs). I bruise SUPER easy, so I looked like I was hurt far more than I really was. No more hills on skates for me, though. I'm actually ok on skis if the equipment is good (ie well sharpened) and the slopes not too icy--seriously the one sport I'm a natural at and I have to live on flatlands... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

??? You SHARPEN ski equipment? Sounds dangerous...

runninggirl248

My favorite is going to the YMCA and doing aerobics. Also there are these DVD's called Turbo Jam which are really fun. You can burn 1000 calories in one hour doing these things, yeah it is a major workout. Hey and if you know how to find a search for a good distance running route starting from your house I could use your help I just registered. Well it is 1:43 AM in the morning night! Cool Big grin Clowning around
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

My favorite is going to the YMCA and doing aerobics. Also there are these DVD's called Turbo Jam which are really fun. You can burn 1000 calories in one hour doing these things, yeah it is a major workout. Hey and if you know how to find a search for a good distance running route starting from your house I could use your help I just registered. Well it is 1:43 AM in the morning night! Cool Big grin Clowning around
                        Big grinI have a bellydancing DVD. Of course I only play it at home where no one else can see me... But it's fun too! Big grin

I play volleyball about 2 nights a week year round. I am hoping to step that up to some weekend tournaments as well.
                          - Lance
                            I play volleyball about 2 nights a week year round. I am hoping to step that up to some weekend tournaments as well.
                            Lance...where do you play? i see that you are in apex. I've just moved to the area and looking for somewhere to play.
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

Apex... Durham... I live in Raleigh... we outght to get together sometime!

Todd

I follow the workout of the day on Crossfit.com. This is an excellent resource for weight training and bodyweight execises. The workouts are usually short and intense. They make a good complement to running.