pains week of the marathon ? (Read 696 times)

Prophet!

My first ever marathon is this week, besides freaking out a bit, my easy runs i've been experiencing some random pains in my calves, hamstrings, knees...is this just my body adjusting to the decreased workload during the taper period ? Also how do some of you deal with all the nervous energy before the marathon ? aloha, steve

Now that was a bath...

Steve - I'm totally new to all of this so i can't help with advice but I wanted to wish you good luck with your marathon. I am always amazed when I look at people's logs and see that they have run 20 miles in one stretch. I can only hope to imagine what this accomplishment will feel like. All the best with running the big one. I'll be cheering you on from over here in Auckland! Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      JakeKnight

My first ever marathon is this week, besides freaking out a bit, my easy runs i've been experiencing some random pains in my calves, hamstrings, knees...is this just my body adjusting to the decreased workload during the taper period ? Also how do some of you deal with all the nervous energy before the marathon ?
        It happens to most people, as far as I know. I pretty much never have any pain at all - except for the week prior to a big run. Then everything hurts. I suddenly become convinced I can't possibly run a mile, much less a marathon. Knees hurt, ankles get stiff, strange pains all over my legs. Last time I was sure my legs were actually going to fall off until about the tenth mile of the marathon. Then - poof - all gone. Of course, not long after that is when the *real* pain begins to start. But you don't wanna hear about that. Smile I've heard theories ranging from the psychological (you insecure wimp) to the chemical (physical "addiction" to the endorphins). Probably a combination. Can't help you with the psychological, but the endorphins can be worked with. Don't be afraid to go for a few short runs, even a couple days before the marathon. I've slowly come around to thinking that most people taper too much, rather than too little. I actually went for a pretty hard 3 miler just a couple days before my last marathon, and it seemed to help. Or do anything else - maybe something non-impact - to sweat, heavily. I like pounding on a heavy bag. Anything to get the endorphins flowing. I even found that getting really worked up over a good football game on TV helped - probably 'cause the endorphins were pumping from all the screaming at the screen. It may be too much information, but I found that sex helps, too. (Just be prepared for Mrs. Phat to laugh when you try to use that logic on her ...) Beer definitely helps, but there are a few obvious problems with going that route. Which is why I swear off beer until at least mile 12 of the marathon. Wink Spend some time sweating. You'll be fine. I swear that what you're in the middle of is the worst part of the whole deal. (Your opinion may vary at about mile 21 of your marathon, though ...) Good luck!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Good luck this weekend. I've experienced those pains before. I think it's just your mind playing games with you. You've worked so hard to get to this point and now all of a sudden you worry about everything. Stepping off the curb the wrong way, getting out of bed and tripping over something, etc. My advice, for what it's worth, relax, enjoy the week and everything will be great. Have a fantastic race and enjoy yourself. You are doing something 99% of the population won't even attempt.
          vicentefrijole

I agree with what was said above. I've had these phantom pains too and that's all they are. Nervous energy? I usually do a lot of cleaning the week before my marathon... which is probably okay as long as I don't over-exert myself (no heavy lifting)... basically, it just keeps me busy and burns a little excess energy. Big grin Another idea is to lay down, close your eyes, and visualize your marathon course (as well as you can) start to finish.. imagine how you'll feel at each point also (be realistic but also a little optimistic.. don't visualize yourself cramping up!). I find this helps me feel ready for a race and also gives me a little running fix when I can't really put in the miles. You can also visualize this while you go for a short run, but make sure you don't inadvertantly increase your pace! Big grin Modified: Forgot to say: "GOOD LUCK!"
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nervous energy? I usually do a lot of cleaning the week before my marathon... which is probably okay as long as I don't over-exert myself (no heavy lifting)... basically, it just keeps me busy and burns a little excess energy. Big grin
              Sounds like nesting, to me... Wink Best of luck to you, Steve. From what everyone says it sounds like the taper is mentally more difficult than the race itself. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

thanks for all the nice words of encouragements and suggestions... J.K. Hopefully Mrs. Phat wouldn't laugh so much per your suggestion as she's running her first marathon as well and i'm sure she's pretty nervous, but she probably will finish good 20 - 30 minutes ahead of me (grumble..grumble)...she qualifies as one of those freaks..where i'm resting as much as i can during tapering weeks, she's doing 10 mile paddleboarding races and feels fine. anywhoo, to keep my mind off, i'll try that mental visualization of the course which should be easy as all my long runs are all on the course, and also more importantly plan out the race description post in hope to compete for that R.A. award.
                vicentefrijole

...which should be easy as all my long runs are all on the course...
                  Nice! Big grin Big grin Big grin