A "perfect" run... (Read 1040 times)

(sorry, this is a little long) Last night I had a "perfect" run. It was great. I had set out to just do an easy run. I was doing my usual 5k route here at home and it has been a long time since I've run that route. I started out thinking, "okay, nice and easy"...The 4 hills that would normally drain me were over and done with without my pace slowing, or feeling like I was out of energy. When I reached the 5k point I had run a decent time and had plenty of energy left so I reversed and did the route again. Thinking "okay, nice and easy" and before I knew it I was cruising over the course, a little different with my two big hills being done in reverse, I realized it's a longer more gradual hill, and perhaps on another day, more tiring. When I reached the the 5k mark again, I was shocked to see that my time was faster than my first 5k, and I still had energy left but was up against the clock since it was about 9:30 p.m., so I did one cool down mile ending at my front door. I can't explain it but last night I was more in tune with every aspect of my run. I paid attention to my form, and to my breathing. I reminded myself of the need to keep up my speed on the hills and allow my body to work on recovery at the top. My surroundings helped to keep me going too. It was awesome. Someone was burning wood and that smell had me thinking of when I was younger and would go camping. It brought back some fun memories as I ran along. Every now and then as I ran through the development I would smell fabric softener from someone's dryer. I could hear people swimming in their pools, playing "Marco-Polo". I watched as people wheeled out their trash, and I wondered if they shared trash duty (silly thoughts, I know). Part of my usual 5k route has me doing two laps in one neighborhood so last night I ended up doing that lap four times. I got to see people come and go, and I wondered where they were going. I watched as some moms power walked while pushing strollers, and I wondered how often they did that, and how nice it was to neighbors being friendly. I was annoyed on how long it's been since I've run that route that there was a house that went on the market and sold since I was last there!! Usually I know each and every house that goes up for sale along my route. The funniest thing was when I saw a rather large manly man - walking the cutest Dachshund, that always cracks me up. I wondered if he picked that breed out, or if his wife or kids did! There are two yards with dogs that use the underground fence and I always am mindful to keep on the road when I run past. Last night the one dog was out and so were it's owners but despite their yelling his name which, no lie, is "HAYDES", he still charged full speed, fur raised, barking his furry head off. And as expected, he stopped right at the underground fence line. Still, he had my attention as I kept an ear to him. I'm not sure what made me appreciate last night's run quite so much, but it felt great and it has me looking forward to my next run even more than usual. That, and with such a nice run outside running on the treadmill this morning was BRUTAL!!! Tongue Anyone else have a "perfect" run lately?

Michelle

FINE, be that way. Big grin Nobody wants to respond to my post written after having two cups of coffee!!! (I really should limit my coffee to half a cup per day) Roll eyes

Michelle

freckles

I had my first ever 'perfect run' on MOnday - I nearly posted about it but was too shy but this must be a sign! I was down for an easy 6k, and I thought I would take it easier than normal, my easy runs are guilty of being too fast and I end up always trying to beat my time! The weather was low 50s, there was a slight drizzle to start with, I trotted off on my usual route slower than normal. Did the first 2k in 15 mins, instead of the normal 13. Saw someone with a tshirt on from a race that I had done and we smiled and said hi and for the first time ever I actually felt like a proper runner!!! Started dwelling on how far I'd come since the start of the year and unintentionally speeded up to do the 3rd k in 6 minutes and I still felt great!!! Reminded myself it was an easy run and slowed down again and just enjoyed the feeling of feeling fit. I have struggled so much this year with being so overweight and trying to run and it was just so nice to run and feel great! Finished in 42:26 with a big grin on my face! Perfect!

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

btb1490

Sorry, not sure how I missed this post! That really DID sound like a great run! See what a good report from the doctor will do for you! Smile I think that running at night really heightens the senses, and puts you more in tune with your body and what is going on around you. I also think that running is a great way to go sightseeing, if you take the time to notice things. I live 14 miles away from where I work, and have probably driven the route 1000's of times. A couple of years ago, I started running to work occasionally, and started noticing things that I never have even after years of speeding by in a car. Great run, thanks for sharing! I hope you have many more!
          Mishka-old log

I missed this yesterday. Isn't that amazing? You know exactly what is meant by the term "runner's high". I had my perfect run last Monday. Been trying to get back into running for just over a year now, and that day's run came out of nowhere. I wasn't even going to run. Had CPA review class from 6-9pm and there was still plenty of light when class got out. I overslept that morning and missed my run, but still had everything packed in the car. I thought, why not? I knew right away something was different. From the very first few steps, it felt like I was floating...literally, like my feet were not even touching the ground. I've tried to run more mature lately, so I kept it under control for a while. But after 20 min or so, it was relentless and I had to tap into it. It was getting darker out, but there were still a lot of people around campus. I was getting the usual heckles for running shirtless in short-shorts, but it was like fuel. The pace kept getting faster and faster and after about 15 min of gradual acceleration, I was in disbelief at how fast I was moving, but that it was requiring zero effort. At that point, I just kept pushing to see how fast I could go, and I was very nearly sprinting over the last couple minutes and still could not make myself hurt. I've had maybe 3 runs like that in all the years I've run, dating back to 1992. Purely magical and I don't expect another one like that for a very long time.
              Nice. I read this yesterday and just left it be because it didn't need a response. Gotta love those perfect runs. The ones that bring you back. This is one of those things you can't fully explain to non-runners. I remember one time coming up my hill from a run and as I was walking up my driveway, started chatting with my next door neighbor. This was when I was training for a marathon a few years ago. My neighbor, Mary, asked me how I stayed so focused on one event for so long during my training. I said, "Most days I didn't think about the marathon. I just think about a cool, fall day." Her eyes kind of glazed over so I went on. I said, "If you're a runner, then every once in a while you're blessed with one of THOSE runs--the one that brings you back. For me it's a cool fall day when I'm super fit and just out for a nice easy 10 miler and somewhere along the road as I'm gliding along it comes over me...that thing, that zone, that...moment. When you realize that for a while now you haven't even been running, you've been floating and that you're absolutely flying. And you've been completely in your own world, your own universe. And as you cruise effortlessly over the top of a small hill, the sound of your feet crunching leaves the only evidence that you're actually touching planet earth with each stride, and as you crest that hill and the wind hits you in the face and almost takes your breath away and makes your eyes water you realize suddenly that there is a God and that this is exactly what he wants you to be doing, right at this very moment, and right on this very stretch of road." "Wow," Mary said. "Yeah." And I went inside and took a shower.

Runners run

Mishka-old log

Damn dude. Well said.
                  mikeymike, I'm fairly new to the forums and was going to wax poetic... but I can't touch that. You said it all.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have nothing to add...other than the fact that I'm overdue for a run like that and I think once the heatwave breaks that there will be much greater likelihood of having one again. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

great descriptions of what keeps us going out there day after day well said everyone.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Ah...yeah, I've had a few runs like that. My all time favorite run was a 5 mile HARD. I swear, everything was just in sync. The weather wasn't too hot, too cold, the sun was actually my friend that day. (Unlike today when it tried to kill me..2:30 practices) Each mile was within a second or two of the last and my 5th was fastest of all. So far, it's the only time I've achieved a runner's high. Sundays in the Summer of 2005 were awesome too. I ran at about 8PM and just went with it. No pressure from coaches or teammates...just me, by myself, running a not too fast, not too slow pace. Good memories...and glad to hear about your perfect run!!
                          I had my first ever 'perfect run' on MOnday - I nearly posted about it but was too shy but this must be a sign! I was down for an easy 6k, and I thought I would take it easier than normal, my easy runs are guilty of being too fast and I end up always trying to beat my time! The weather was low 50s, there was a slight drizzle to start with, I trotted off on my usual route slower than normal. Did the first 2k in 15 mins, instead of the normal 13. Saw someone with a tshirt on from a race that I had done and we smiled and said hi and for the first time ever I actually felt like a proper runner!!! Started dwelling on how far I'd come since the start of the year and unintentionally speeded up to do the 3rd k in 6 minutes and I still felt great!!! Reminded myself it was an easy run and slowed down again and just enjoyed the feeling of feeling fit. I have struggled so much this year with being so overweight and trying to run and it was just so nice to run and feel great! Finished in 42:26 with a big grin on my face! Perfect!
                          That's awesome! I have a feeling that a lot of us are guilty of trying to beat our own times, even when out for an easy run, that can be annoying when really trying to do an easy run. The first time someone asked me about a race shirt I was wearing gave me such a good feeling. They had run the race and were happy to see someone wearing the shirt.
                          Sorry, not sure how I missed this post! That really DID sound like a great run! See what a good report from the doctor will do for you! Smile I think that running at night really heightens the senses, and puts you more in tune with your body and what is going on around you. I also think that running is a great way to go sightseeing, if you take the time to notice things. I live 14 miles away from where I work, and have probably driven the route 1000's of times. A couple of years ago, I started running to work occasionally, and started noticing things that I never have even after years of speeding by in a car. Great run, thanks for sharing! I hope you have many more!
                          *lol* I have a feeling that the good report from my doctor had A LOT to do with my run. I guess I feel a little lighter on my feet (less worry weighing me down). I've gone out to run and just explored the area. A few of my long runs have led me far from home and once I debated on calling my husband to come and pick me up, of course I didn't (he would have said "you ran there, now run yourself back" Big grin). And you're right. We miss so much when zipping by in a car. As I discovered while visiting my parent's in NY, some places are BETTER (safer) when not running by them (scenes from the movie Deliverance), but for the most part, it's a nice change.

Michelle

I missed this yesterday. Isn't that amazing? You know exactly what is meant by the term "runner's high". I had my perfect run last Monday. Been trying to get back into running for just over a year now, and that day's run came out of nowhere. I wasn't even going to run. Had CPA review class from 6-9pm and there was still plenty of light when class got out. I overslept that morning and missed my run, but still had everything packed in the car. I thought, why not? I knew right away something was different. From the very first few steps, it felt like I was floating...literally, like my feet were not even touching the ground. I've tried to run more mature lately, so I kept it under control for a while. But after 20 min or so, it was relentless and I had to tap into it. It was getting darker out, but there were still a lot of people around campus. I was getting the usual heckles for running shirtless in short-shorts, but it was like fuel. The pace kept getting faster and faster and after about 15 min of gradual acceleration, I was in disbelief at how fast I was moving, but that it was requiring zero effort. At that point, I just kept pushing to see how fast I could go, and I was very nearly sprinting over the last couple minutes and still could not make myself hurt. I've had maybe 3 runs like that in all the years I've run, dating back to 1992. Purely magical and I don't expect another one like that for a very long time.
                            I am amazed on how much easier running has gotten for me, so I can appreciate how you felt after realizing your zero effort for your faster pace. It's like a sudden rush of disbelief and pride. Very cool! Funny about your short shorts. I was just noticing some of the men at tonight's race wearing their short shorts and thinking of how in the past I would have been kind of shocked. Now I'm used to it, and I find myself noticing how everyone's legs are built - especially if they are wearing those short shorts! Smile
                            Nice. I read this yesterday and just left it be because it didn't need a response. Gotta love those perfect runs. The ones that bring you back. This is one of those things you can't fully explain to non-runners. I remember one time coming up my hill from a run and as I was walking up my driveway, started chatting with my next door neighbor. This was when I was training for a marathon a few years ago. My neighbor, Mary, asked me how I stayed so focused on one event for so long during my training. I said, "Most days I didn't think about the marathon. I just think about a cool, fall day." Her eyes kind of glazed over so I went on. I said, "If you're a runner, then every once in a while you're blessed with one of THOSE runs--the one that brings you back. For me it's a cool fall day when I'm super fit and just out for a nice easy 10 miler and somewhere along the road as I'm gliding along it comes over me...that thing, that zone, that...moment. When you realize that for a while now you haven't even been running, you've been floating and that you're absolutely flying. And you've been completely in your own world, your own universe. And as you cruise effortlessly over the top of a small hill, the sound of your feet crunching leaves the only evidence that you're actually touching planet earth with each stride, and as you crest that hill and the wind hits you in the face and almost takes your breath away and makes your eyes water you realize suddenly that there is a God and that this is exactly what he wants you to be doing, right at this very moment, and right on this very stretch of road." "Wow," Mary said. "Yeah." And I went inside and took a shower.
                            Way to make a non-runner think! You really brought the point about of how rewarding running can be. It's not just about winning the races, or logging the miles. There's more to it than that. I wish I could have worded my thoughts the way you did. There are days when there's a tiny nagging voice in the back of my thoughts that just says "okay, what exactly is your point? Why do you keep on running?". It's not often that I even entertain the thought of not running, but from time to time when life is hectic and I have to force my schedule to get the chance to run, I think about the free time I'd have if I stopped. But, after a run like the other day I can see that I really am improving and that with as good as I felt, giving it up would weigh more on mind than not running. And now, I'll think about what you said and how I want to feel like that! Smile
                            mikeymike, I'm fairly new to the forums and was going to wax poetic... but I can't touch that. You said it all.

Michelle

I have nothing to add...other than the fact that I'm overdue for a run like that and I think once the heatwave breaks that there will be much greater likelihood of having one again. Smile k
                              You are overdue Kirsten! I can't wait to hear when you come back from a run and you can't wait to tell us about how great you felt. Smile The heat really is relentless these days.
                              great descriptions of what keeps us going out there day after day well said everyone.
                              I agree! And it's so great to hear different view points of a great or perfect run. It's very refreshing!

Michelle

Ah...yeah, I've had a few runs like that. My all time favorite run was a 5 mile HARD. I swear, everything was just in sync. The weather wasn't too hot, too cold, the sun was actually my friend that day. (Unlike today when it tried to kill me..2:30 practices) Each mile was within a second or two of the last and my 5th was fastest of all. So far, it's the only time I've achieved a runner's high. Sundays in the Summer of 2005 were awesome too. I ran at about 8PM and just went with it. No pressure from coaches or teammates...just me, by myself, running a not too fast, not too slow pace. Good memories...and glad to hear about your perfect run!!
                                It's great when it all falls into place with temp and energy and frame of mind. Dreading the heat of a 2:30 practice I'm sure wasn't helpful for motivation. That is why I won't rely on running early in the morning (before 6 a.m.). The dread of setting my alarm for THAT early would suck away some of my energy for sure. Not to mention how I'd be blinking my way through the first part of my run. I used to never run outside, or by myself when I finally started running outside. But now I appreciate both kinds of runs, with someone or without. And running outside is always my preference, although not always possible. I can understand how you would enjoy running without the pressures of the coach or team mates. Being able to set your own pace and not worry about anyone around you.

Michelle