Garmin Forerunner 610 review (Read 7975 times)

SMART Approach

Well, it is not my review but here is one pretty in depth.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/04/garmin-forerunner-610-in-depth-review.html

Seems to correct some of the negative issues reported on another thread. The new touch screen seems pretty easy. It is waterproof. It does now allow 4 readings on the screen. It also appears to be a bit more sleek. At $349.99 it is a chunk of change (add $50 for HR monitor). As a VIP member with Road Runner one can get a nice savings and potentially more with their special deals on occasion.

Anyone have one yet? Thoughts/reviews.  I am itchin.......

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

DCrainmaker did not look at his data too in-depth or did not look at the GPS accuracy while running.

Here is a more in-depth review which details a bug in the watch when doing start/stop or auto-lap. Others have seen this bug.

It is intermittent. Some might not see it, some might see it. It might be hardware dependent, it might be the software. But for one thing the 610 is not reliable and you should avoid purchasing until these quirks are fixed.

Look here:

http://garmin610problems.blogspot.com

Garmin 610 Forums

People are probably blinding by all the whizz-bang the watch can do. And it does it well. But unfortunately, its primary function (GPS) is unreliable.

SMART Approach

I did not realize it was just released days ago. Maybe some kinks or just one bad watch. Is interesting that on that blog it stated that the 305s will usually always measure higher on marathon and half marathon courses. Interesting! I will follow that thread a while. I still want to buy it but will hold off a bit.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Just an update. I haven't put today's run on the blog yet. Watch is going back to Garmin today. I should get a new one this week. I will update everything when I get the new watch.

SMART Approach

Well, I just bucked up and made the purchase with a litte discount from Road Runner Sports. I was waiting for a software upgrade to correct a running issue with the watch. This has been done. I am still keeping my 305 which I have been very happy with over the past 4 years other than having to replace it twice for $79. I will use for a while and post back with an update/review.

AN update from me. I got overly frustrated with the GPS problems with the watch and requested a refund/return with Garmin. They agreed. The day after that, they came out with v2.30. So, instead of rushing my watch back I ran with the new update 2.30 for 5 days. It did appear to fix some/most of the GPS problems I had, but I was still getting 0.08 miles discrepancies on runs from one day to the next. This was on a ~9.6 mile course. I also ran a USATF certified 5k on Monday that came up 0.01 short. So I sent the watch back yesterday and will stick with my trustworthy 305. It keeps measuring my courses the same each run, etc.

The 610 is an OK watch, I like the vibration feature, but at $128 vs. $400. I'll stick with the 305 for now.

northernman

Fight The Future

I have had the 610 for a little over a week, and have seen them update the firmware two times (the latest, 2.4 released today less than a week after 2.3). I'm sure they won't rest until all kinks are gone. 

I like it a lot. (moved from a 305, which died after 4 years). The accuracy is good enough for me, typically coming within a few feet of what I think I've run, based on previous 305 readings. Much better feel on the wrist, much much easier to see, especially in low light. I only have one small complaint left (re - a small problem with reporting continuous pace in mile laps in the Mac Garmin software). Very glad I got it, and I recommend it.

I also ran a USATF certified 5k on Monday that came up 0.01 short. So I sent the watch back yesterday and will stick with my trustworthy 305. It keeps measuring my courses the same each run, etc.

> Dude, 0.01 is a pretty darn small error. 0.01/3.106*100 ~ 0.3% error (16 meters).  I don't think your going to find any device (GPS or footpod) better than that.  Understanding (very little) the inherent error in GPS systems, I would say 0.01 is "spot-on" not "short".  There are some really geeky GPS threads here in RA somewhere.

> The rainmaker guy has updated his GPS accuracy review with the firmware update for the 610... http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ 

> Like a lot of folks, I'm pretty content with my 305 purchase last year (still the best value in the GPS runnning category in my opinion), though I like to read about the new stuff.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Zortrium

> Dude, 0.01 is a pretty darn small error. 0.01/3.106*100 ~ 0.3% error (16 meters).  I don't think your going to find any device (GPS or footpod) better than that.  Understanding (very little) the inherent error in GPS systems, I would say 0.01 is "spot-on" not "short".  There are some really geeky GPS threads here in RA somewhere.

Well, keep in mind that certified courses are measured to the shortest possible route, which generally isn't exactly the route people actually run -- so an 'accurate' reading would probably be slightly above the advertised race distance, not exactly the distance.  I know that on my 305, measured courses always come up slightly over the race distance, and the course was significantly too short the only time that didn't happen.

Dude, I'm not a retard.

You try running the exact tangents for any road race next time you run. Impossible. That's why when people run marathons they always get 26.4-26.45 miles. I would have expected 3.13-3.14 on the race. Yes, its minor, but when you hit the first mile marker on your watch and your at 0.98 miles.... Never had that happen with the 305.

Let's see I can use a watch that costs $128 or $400, which one would you chose.

I do a run on the same course 3 consecutive days.

One watch: 9.62, 9.70, 9.62

Other watch: 9.67, 9.67, 9.67

Which one would you choose?

> The rainmaker guy has updated his GPS accuracy review with the firmware update for the 610... http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ 

> Like a lot of folks, I'm pretty content with my 305 purchase last year (still the best value in the GPS runnning category in my opinion), though I like to read about the new stuff.

joescott

After the SW update (2.30) I have had no issues at all with the GPS quality on the 610.  It shoots a tight enough group for me, pretty darn close to the bull's eye.  For what it's worth I always expect any GPS watch to come up about 1% long on a certified course (e.g., measure about 3.13 on a 5k course).  That's about as good as it gets, and I get suspicious if it comes up less than X + 1%.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kcam

One watch: 9.62, 9.70, 9.62

Other watch: 9.67, 9.67, 9.67

Which one would you choose?

Not the watch whose s/w algorithm rounds anything between, say, 9.34 and 10.0 to 9.67!  Just kidding.  I'm a fan of the 305.

Julia1971

I've had my 610 for about 2 or 3 weeks now.  I thought my 305 had died, but it was just playing with me. 

I didn't read about the accuracy problems until after I purchased it.  (I was more concerned about the touch screen, and I hadn't read anything negative about that so I bought it).  It didn't bother me all that much.  Oddly, I found the pre-upgrade 610 seemed to match the course distances here on RA.  My 305 always measured long.  To the point where I put the 305 distance in parentheses for many of my long runs so I wouldn't underestimate how long I'd be running. I did have trouble with the ANT agent and Garmin Connect.  I spent hours trying to get everything to work properly - installing/uninstalling, downloading/uploading.  I finally got ANT to work, but have given up on GC.

Now that I have the 610, I've started using the Virtual Trainer a lot more often.  I never figured out how to create and save complicated workouts on my 305.  I could set up a simple 4x400 interval workout or a 40 minute tempo run, but I couldn't figure out how to do pace ranges or ladders (like 4x400 followed by 2x800 or something).  And, it was annoying having to change my interval workouts all the time.  I'm sure there was a way, but it seemed like more work than I wanted to bother with.  But, it's super easy to set these things up on the 610.  I didn't even have to read the directions to figure it out.  I have 3 or 4 workouts saved so far and see myself saving a lot more.  I also like the vibrate feature.  In conjunction with the Virtual Trainer, I don't have to check my pace constantly or disturb the peace if I'm not hitting my training paces.  But, best of all, it's a lot more stylish.

Overall, I'm happy with mine.  It's my primary Garmin now and I'll use my 305 as a backup.  But, I doubt I would have bought it if my 305 hadn't died.  I probably would have waited for the price to come down.

To be honest, if the 610 would have worked out of the box, I would have kept it. It took them over 2 months to resolve the GPS bug. (I had the watch since the Boston Marathon expo). Also, seeing stories of the pins on the watch falling out, peoples skin turning green, scratched watch faces, and cost difference I decided to return it.

Its a good watch. If you want a new Garmin and want to spend $350-$400 go for it. Now that they fixed everything basically it should be fine.

I'm back to my 305 and actually seem to like it better. Don't notice any size difference, the 610 has a better contrast though. And I think the backlighting is better on the 610, but I never had to use it.

If it comes down $100 or so, I'll get it again. 

Ojo

Bumping this to see if anyone has anything new to add.  305 Seems to be dying and I am looking to upgrade.

Sara

MM #2929