I have a mild cough. And a race on Saturday. Help? (Read 84 times)

emmbee

queen of headlamps

My nephew, a toddler, gave me some sort of weaponized daycare virus about a week and a half ago, just as I started my taper for this half.  I've missed some runs, and I'm very tired, but definitely feeling like I'm getting better.  Some stuffiness and post-nasal drip, and a slight cough.  I'm feeling fine mostly, but a bit short of breath so I'm taking it easy, hoping to get some rest (toddler son has croupy cough), and hoping my legs stay springy.

Race is Saturday.  The rule of thumb is head up okay, neck down don't, but this cough feels more like a cough that you'd get after running on a cold morning and less like a nasty congested thing.   Would you run a half feeling like this?  What would you do in terms of pacing?  This was to be a PR (<2) attempt but I'm wondering if I'd be better off just running on effort and not worrying about it too much.

Help?

mikeymike

but I'm wondering if I'd be better off just running on effort and not worrying about it too much.

This is is the best strategy whether you have a cold or not. You'll know pretty early in the race what your body is able to give on the day.

Runners run

emmbee

queen of headlamps

That's true.  I'm not great at running paces by feel yet.  A slow pace and a quicker pace can feel like the same effort to me; it's like I need to get better at shifting gears.

Cough is still stupid and not gone, but I managed a bike commute without too much trouble today.