Healthy??? cooking advice/recipe??? (Read 838 times)

flatland mountaineer

I understand that the breeding process to make cattle optimized for feedlots is ongoing and not yet complete. Manure does get back to cropland, but only by being trucked there at a high fuel cost. Cattle raised and slaughtered out in the fields are less likely to have the stress. I agree, government mandated centralized slaughterhouses make pasture-raised cattle less feasible. Methane production does increase on concentrate and on grains. Tastes better? Well, that is a judgement. Wink
    Believe me manure doesn't get trucked very far with $3 diesel, most is applied within 10 miles of the lot on corn ground.Your right on the stress if they could remain on the ranch until slaughter they would be under less stress as there would not be the shipping, like I said the shipping and processing and exposure to other animals is when most sickness is going to show up in the feedlot, after that they are pretty blissfull. And the other thing not factored into that ranch to steak concept is winter feed when the grass isn't growing and then cattle are going to take alot longer to get to finish, they won't gain like they do on a concentrate diet (kinda like the one I am on at Christmastime) and use this grass resource longer, so lots to think about. Although you might like the taste of "grassfat" beef the consumer vote taste with their pocketbook and the masses have voted for grainfed beef. We as producers respond to the marketplace, if we don't then someone that does takes our place. Wink respectfully ja Holy cow major apologies for the threadjack, it started out as an innocent little reply.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Why is it sideways?

I read this article this morning. It's about sustainability and the use of antibiotics on the industrial farm. I don't know much about current farming practices but doing my best to educate myself. I'd be curious to hear r2farm's take on it. MTA: I really notice the difference between Paraguayan beef (my wife's from down there) and the beef I get at the local supermarket (the former tastes better to me). I reckon it's because it's grass fed, but maybe there's more to it.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Threadjack is good. Big grin I imagine that most of the beef market is responding to cost more than to corn- versus grass-fed taste. Corn and other grains are so heavily subsidized that there are massive incentives to use them, and then to turn around and sell the beef they produce. You are right about the Winter issue, which is less of an issue if we focus our agriculture to the climes where they make sense.

flatland mountaineer

Threadjack is good. Big grin I imagine that most of the beef market is responding to cost more than to corn- versus grass-fed taste. Corn and other grains are so heavily subsidized that there are massive incentives to use them, and then to turn around and sell the beef they produce. You are right about the Winter issue, which is less of an issue if we focus our agriculture to the climes where they make sense.
          Ask your butcher that question about taste vs cost ( I am shooting you straight here), demand drives the whole equation, look at any developing country the first thing they do when they come into money is "eat better" (didn't say healthier) but their consumption of grainfed meats go up. Look at China's increasing appetite for grain fed beef. If it doesn't taste good the masses don't buy it. To say that fed beef demand is driven by the need to use cheap corn that is making the cart pull the horse. And now corn is approaching record highs and beef demand is still strong. The subsidies are tied to price and have dwindled to an insignificant level in the last 2 years. I am not posting this just for the sake of argument, and I make no judments on whether our current ag system is right, etc. just trying to tell you the way it is now. Wow I am not getting much work done tonite, (like its the first time I avoided work in a running forum Big grin).

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If it doesn't taste good the masses don't buy it.
            Chicken nuggets taste good? Most beef round my parts is sold via fast food restaurants or prepackaged in grocery stores these days, not via butchers. The only butcher I knew in town closed shop long ago. Jeff, interesting article. Wow, it ties together terminology sciences and epidemiology. That is the sort of stuff I love! Has the author written anything else? Wink

flatland mountaineer

I read this article this morning. It's about sustainability and the use of antibiotics on the industrial farm. I don't know much about current farming practices but doing my best to educate myself. I'd be curious to hear r2farm's take on it. MTA: I really notice the difference between Paraguayan beef (my wife's from down there) and the beef I get at the local supermarket (the former tastes better to me). I reckon it's because it's grass fed, but maybe there's more to it.
              Jeff bear with me and I'll try and read that and comment on it, might be a day or 2.

flatland mountaineer

Chicken nuggets taste good? Most beef round my parts is sold via fast food restaurants or prepackaged in grocery stores these days, not via butchers. The only butcher I knew in town closed shop long ago. Jeff, interesting article. Wow, it ties together terminology sciences and epidemiology. That is the sort of stuff I love! Has the author written anything else? Wink
                Fast food beef is another critter altogether, ok ask a chef at a fine resturant then.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Fast food beef is another critter altogether, ok ask a chef at a fine resturant then.
                  I didn't know critters were involved in that stuff Wink

flatland mountaineer

I didn't know critters were involved in that stuff Wink
                    good point!! parts is parts Big grin

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nice pic of Long's Peak, BTW. Threadjack complete.

flatland mountaineer

Jeff bear with me and I'll try and read that and comment on it, might be a day or 2.
                        You guys aren't going to let me get any work done tonight are you,lol OK the article in the kindest most humble and respectful way I am going to label it pure bs. The article quotes obscure self appointed "experts" and presents a collection of very loosly related "facts" to support its line and posts a very disturbing visual to further push on the emotions of the reader. I don't have time to refute the article point by point and I don't know cs about chickens, a little more on pork but have beef experience. The average beef calf might get 3-5 days of antibiotic in feed and maybe treated once more If and thats If it shows sickness and were linking that to antibiotic resistant staph???huh Notice use of "recent studies" , 45% of 20 pig farms in Ontario, etc, etc, hit all the "hot scarey buttons" AIDS, Staph, "resistant strains" then we loosely link it to official agencies. Its a hit and run kind of article thats really quite trendy these days. Thats all I got to say 'bout that. Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, R2Farm, I was kidding with Jeff about the author, Michael Pollan. I do, in fact, know who he is, and Jeff knows I know. Hit and Run? Naw, he has been writing in this arena for years, has penned at least three books on the topic and is considered a national level expert. Just sayin. Wink MTA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Pollan

flatland mountaineer

So, R2Farm, I was kidding with Jeff about the author, Michael Pollan. I do, in fact, know who he is, and Jeff knows I know. Hit and Run? Naw, he has been writing in this arena for years, has penned at least three books on the topic and is considered a national level expert. Just sayin. Wink MTA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Pollan
                            Hit and run because of the loose association of facts with his point then move on, and no doubt a much better and prolific writer than this farmer. Its dribble though, spend a year with me and you would agree. Yes expert at writing this sort of thing I guess, but wonder if he ever cleaned any stuff off his boots?? Confused My family has been producing food at this place since 1904, guess that makes me an expert of some sort in the food biz.......... but very average amateur runner Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One day I hope to be an average runner and spend a year on a farm Big grin