2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

DoppleBock

I think "Mileage" is not the only factor

I think the amount, intensity and how big my hard workouts are run will cause me injury before just running a lot of miles.  If I keep the speed / hill work from easy to moderate I am not limited by mileage, but by time.  If my workouts are all moderate, I think I can run 130 ish miles a week and be fine - If they are all high in intensity, duration and frequent (3-4 times a week) I might not be able to get to 100 miles in a week.

When I ran 2,171 in 79 days all - Speed just 2 times a week and all was easy to moderate in intensity and duration.

Point - Mileage + what speed / hills you are doing will break you down much faster than mileage alone.

How do you determine the maximum weekly mileage an individual is capable of running before its counterproductive? For me, results in an injury. Realizing everyone is different. Last running injury was a stress fracture to the 3rd metatarsal.

High mileage for me, has been 72 miles per week on average. For this sub 3:00 attempt, I was thinking about trying to get into the 80 mpw range.

I'm just now back to 60 miles per week. I'll hold that for 2 more weeks and then bump up the volume to 70 miles per week.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall our friend Roth Runner's name is Robin?  I think he crushed it.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I ran a 1:22:07 half yesterday. I'm thinking this puts me with a good shot of below 2:53 for Chicago (assuming the temp isn't 88 degrees). You can put my goal down for 2:52:XX for Chicago.

I guess I'm going for a sub-3:00.  Fox Cities Marathon 9/18.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall our friend Roth Runner's name is Robin?  I think he crushed it.

Well I crushed part of it!  I went for it despite the potential windy conditions and passed through the half in 1:23:03, even with the first half being fairly hilly.  This half was in the City centre so I didn't notice much wind, but I realised I'd smashed my calves on the downhills by about mile 15.  I kept a good pace until about 20.5 miles when the course turned back on to an open water section into a horrendous headwind (I'm guessing 20 mph +).  This is where the course smashed me!  I went from 6:30 pace to 7:30 pace pretty much instantly.  I know I overcooked the first half and would have slowed anyway, but the wind was brutal from 20.5 to 25 all the way back into the City.  I limped home in a 1:30:54 second half for 2:53:57.  Which was still a PR by 2:40.

Lessons learnt:

I'm not Haile, and I cannot handle a flat like the Adios in a marathon, especially an undulating one.

I love the camaraderie of the marathon.  I started running with a group early on and really enjoyed the experience.  Maybe a bit too much from the first half split.  But I think this marathon confirmed there's a 2:40 something in the tank on the right day with a bit more control.  & no bloody stupid head winds!!

kcam

Way to go Robin!  You're gonna get that 2:4x on your next one - here's hoping you get the course AND weather to compliment the training you've been doing.  Keep it rollin' brutha!

Well I crushed part of it!  I went for it despite the potential windy conditions and passed through the half in 1:23:03, even with the first half being fairly hilly.  This half was in the City centre so I didn't notice much wind, but I realised I'd smashed my calves on the downhills by about mile 15.  I kept a good pace until about 20.5 miles when the course turned back on to an open water section into a horrendous headwind (I'm guessing 20 mph +).  This is where the course smashed me!  I went from 6:30 pace to 7:30 pace pretty much instantly.  I know I overcooked the first half and would have slowed anyway, but the wind was brutal from 20.5 to 25 all the way back into the City.  I limped home in a 1:30:54 second half for 2:53:57.  Which was still a PR by 2:40.

Lessons learnt:

I'm not Haile, and I cannot handle a flat like the Adios in a marathon, especially an undulating one.

I love the camaraderie of the marathon.  I started running with a group early on and really enjoyed the experience.  Maybe a bit too much from the first half split.  But I think this marathon confirmed there's a 2:40 something in the tank on the right day with a bit more control.  & no bloody stupid head winds!!

Congrats!  You still got a damn impressive PR, and holding on with the brutal wind is impressive!

Well I crushed part of it! 

This is where the course smashed me!

Lessons learnt:

I cannot handle a flat like the Adios in a marathon, especially an undulating one. 

Awesome! Not folding in the wind and persevering for a PR, huge!

No flats for me either. Lesson learned the hard way.

Get off my porch

I ran a 1:22:07 half yesterday. I'm thinking this puts me with a good shot of below 2:53 for Chicago (assuming the temp isn't 88 degrees). You can put my goal down for 2:52:XX for Chicago.

That's an awesome half time! 

Damned fine run in my book Robin, congrats!  Best of luck this weekend abe!

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Are we there yet?

11.6 Marshall Marathon

11.12 Charlotte ThunderRoad Marathon

11.19 North Carolina Marathon

Going for the hat trick in sub 3's Smile

DoppleBock

Nice

11.6 Marshall Marathon

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

No Talent Drips

11.6 Marshall Marathon

Rediculous....then again, I am hoping for 10/2 Wineglass, 10/16 MDI, and 11/06 NYC. Still need get into MDI...but I know a guy that knows a crow.

Dei Gratia

2:46:34

For my first, I'm not too disappointed.  Kind of windy.  Was doing fine through 17.  Held it together to 20.  Crashed after 21.

I believe that now that I have a better understanding of the race and training needed, I'll be able to run sub 2:40 next time.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

xor

2:46:34

For my first, I'm not too disappointed.  Kind of windy.  Was doing fine through 17.  Held it together to 20.  Crashed after 21.

I believe that now that I have a better understanding of the race and training needed, I'll be able to run sub 2:40 next time.

Nice meeting you and congrats on 4th.  And beating me by almost an hour.  Jeepers.