To all you fans of The Daily Show (Read 240 times)

So I guess today is the last show hosted by John Oliver. Anyone else having mixed feelings about Jon Stewart coming back? I thought Oliver was going to be a disaster as host, I never thought he was that great before. But I think he has actually been brilliant, and the show has had some of its best moments. Either he is really very good, or that show is just all about the writing.

Dave

I think it is the writers who are at least 50% of that show.  Same with Steven Colbert.  It takes both pieces:  A superb host with quick wit on the fly, and also a superb writing team to build lots of material off the actual news going on that day.

I will be honest, I am no fan of the comedy channel.   At least not all the other stuff on there.   But....... when it comes to Colbert Report and the Daily Show, I wish that people of both political parties would stop and watch it on occasion.   I know too many Dems that are 100% party loyalists and blame the Republicans for all the countries' ills, and I know too many Die-hard Republicans who feel the exact way about the Democrats.   -- I am non-partisan, and I think the best path forward lies somewhere in the middleground of the 2 parties, but one never gets there when both parties spend 90% of their efforts locking each other in a stalemate and getting nothing achieved.  (IE. Congress).  

Concerning the Colbert Report and the Daily Show:  The ability to make fun of ones own party and the other party as well in a positive + humorous way, has the ability to break through political barriers and bring folks to a more common ground.

Sh1t, I just went on a kind-of political rant.  Apologies. :-)  But I am wanting Jon Stewart to come on back on the Daily show.  Granted the show is still good without him because of the superb writers behind the scene.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

#artbydmcbride

No mixed feelings for me, John Oliver was just okay, but he is no Jon Stewart!  I am so happy that he will be back safe and sound.

Runners run

Menace to Sobriety

I'm guessing he'll wind up with his own gig, probably a BBC-ish version of the Colbert/Stewart shows.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I'm guessing he'll wind up with his own gig, probably a BBC-ish version of the Colbert/Stewart shows.

He should bring The Daily Show to the BBC!  Having moved back from the US in 2009, I really miss this show, (and The Colbert Report).  We could do with something similar in the UK.  My only reservation is that perhaps there wouldn't be quite as much material for them to work with, because our politicians are generally a little less, um, wildly divergent in their opinions than is the case in the US.

Menace to Sobriety

My only reservation is that perhaps there wouldn't be quite as much material for them to work with, because our politicians are generally a little less, um, wildly divergent in their opinions than is the case in the US.

Oh, don't sell Parliament short.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

dickchase

A lot of credit goes to the writing team, but I'm not surprised that Oliver's done well as the sub. He has been in the fake news biz for a long time now, even before he began with The Daily Show.  For years now I've found the fake news podcast he does with Andy Zaltzman in the UK, The Bugle,  one of the more enjoyable 30-40 minutes of my week: https://soundcloud.com/the-bugle

DanMoriarity

I think Oliver's done well, he could probably carry his own show in a similar format. But I'm looking forward to Stewart coming back because he's, well, Stewart.

Hip Redux

A lot of credit goes to the writing team, but I'm not surprised that Oliver's done well as the sub. He has been in the fake news biz for a long time now, even before he began with The Daily Show.  For years now I've found the fake news podcast he does with Andy Zaltzman in the UK, The Bugle,  one of the more enjoyable 30-40 minutes of my week: https://soundcloud.com/the-bugle

I was just going to mention his podcast!   It's pretty funny.

My only reservation is that perhaps there wouldn't be quite as much material for them to work with, because our politicians are generally a little less, um, wildly divergent in their opinions than is the case in the US.

I don't know about that; that "Prime Minister's Questions" business is pure gold!

I was just going to mention his podcast!   It's pretty funny.

That is surprising to me, because I watched his standup special they showed on Comedy Central a while back, and was completely underwhelmed. And he now hosts some new show on CC featuring a bunch of standup acts. We watched the first episode; IMHO his intro routine was not funny, nor were any of the comics that followed.

Dave

Hip Redux

I don't know about that; that "Prime Minister's Questions" business is pure gold!

That is surprising to me, because I watched his standup special they showed on Comedy Central a while back, and was completely underwhelmed. And he now hosts some new show on CC featuring a bunch of standup acts. We watched the first episode; IMHO his intro routine was not funny, nor were any of the comics that followed.

Well, the podcast isn't stand up.  Maybe he should stick with fake news!  lol

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to check this out.

Docket_Rocket

No mixed feelings for me, John Oliver was just okay, but he is no Jon Stewart!  I am so happy that he will be back safe and sound.

^^ This.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Village people

Canada used to have a similar program called Tnis Hour has 22 Minutes. I have to agree that there seems to be a lot more material in US politics but  they had some funny bits.