Fuel Belt, Camel Back or Other? (Read 1625 times)

CT JEFF

To those of you using disposable water bottles. I really thought you were a fiction of the BRITA commercials. Very sad to hear that you exist.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Hoodoo Guru

To those of you using disposable water bottles. I really thought you were a fiction of the BRITA commercials. Very sad to hear that you exist.

Why?

The tangents are moot.

xhristopher

Do you refuse the bottles of water offered to you at the end of races?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Do you refuse the bottles of water offered to you at the end of races?

I always make sure to decant the bottle into a 2nd generation BPA-free re-usable bottle made from bacteria-poop -- in front of the race volunteer who offered it.  If they don't get the message, I make a grimace.  Then I throw their disposable bottle on the ground where other runners can participate in my protest by tripping over it.

but that's just me.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xhristopher

I always make sure to decant the bottle into a 2nd generation BPA-free re-usable bottle made from bacteria-poop -- in front of the race volunteer who offered it.  If they don't get the message, I make a grimace.  Then I throw their disposable bottle on the ground where other runners can participate in my protest by tripping over it.

but that's just me.

... and what do you do on course in the race when a volunteer hands you water in a horrific plastic cup?

This is why I carry a lighter to races, as well as a small, reusable bottle of oil.  I set the things on fire in front of them.  If that doesn't prove they're toxic, nothing will.

but that's just me.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

Hoodoo Guru

Now I know why I see so many confused volunteers at water stops and finish lines.

The tangents are moot.

... and what do you do on course in the race when a volunteer hands you water in a horrific plastic cup?

I feed it to my organic, free range goat.

CT JEFF

What do I do when a volunteer hands me a plastic cup?

I nod and show them that I brought my own hydration. Isnt that the whole point of this thread? Reduce.

I find it much nicer during and after a race to have a bottle with me. Last race I did was 1/4 marathon, just enough for 10oz. I look forward to using my Camelbak though.

Also - most volunteers end up cleaning up the plastic (or other) cups that they offer. Id hope they recycle as just about all plastic recycles nowadays, but since I am not taking their water, Im not going to stand there and discuss their cleanup plans.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

dallison

registered pw

Santa brought me a helium water belt. It holds four 8oz bottles and a small pouch for whatever. But the pouch was not large enough to carry my small cell phone. I had to buy an additional pouch to put that in and whatever else like food.

Normally i won't carry a cell and never did in the past, but, my wife was in an accident in Dec. and i did not have my phone with me and didn't know until i got back. So, not i carry one on long runs.

I really resisted running with anything at all but my long runs and races weren't very productive. I can't stand trying to drink from the cups at the races since it ends up making me choke(not bad, just goes down the wrong way from a cup when running), so i went with a belt.

I'll fill them to the top so there isn't any sloshing around. I'll drink one full one at a time so it's empty.

I have only used it in the winter and on top of a shirt. I have a feeling that i'll have some major chafing from the bouncing around when i run shirtless.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

I usually go out with a 20 oz powerade bottle filled with water for my 4miles and less runs. They are tough little bottles and can be dropped and kicked and reused over and over.  Ya ya, i know they are not BPA free and all that but whatever.  For anything longer than 4 miles and less than 1/2marathon I use the standard 32oz powerade bottle. This is little over 2 pounds filled but if you keep changing hands it seems fine.  For 1/2 marathon and over, I have been using a Go-lite 50 liter hiking backpack. IT IS HUGE !!! I know, but it is very light and doesn't bounce around too much considering 2 water bottles in the pack.  This way I can carry extra clothes, food, phone, even shoes and a towel if I am running to someone's house or to a place where I will be showering.

I did not like the feeling of carrying a backpack during my marathon and probably will be looking into the smaller go-lite vests. BUT... for now, it is all I have and I am and making the best out of it.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Village people

Uh oh. I am drinking this, right now.

CT JEFF

HI All.

Ive been using my Camelbak Marathoner for about a month now. I really like it. On shorter runs, but greater than 6 miles, I have only been filling it part way. Today I ran for 15 miles, got lost, and walked for almost 5 miles. I would have had plenty had I filled it up.

Monday I tried using the Camelbak on the TM, I didnt wear a shirt. Big mistake. Chaffing on triceps and under arms. Not the packs fault.

I really like being able to carry my phone, some food, hydration and other stuff. I'll add some toilet paper for emergencies next. This crap in Boston, left many runners out there to fend for themselves. One more reason to carry the stuff that I do.

keeponrunning

HI All.

Ive been using my Camelbak Marathoner for about a month now. I really like it. On shorter runs, but greater than 6 miles, I have only been filling it part way. Today I ran for 15 miles, got lost, and walked for almost 5 miles. I would have had plenty had I filled it up.

Monday I tried using the Camelbak on the TM, I didnt wear a shirt. Big mistake. Chaffing on triceps and under arms. Not the packs fault.

I really like being able to carry my phone, some food, hydration and other stuff. I'll add some toilet paper for emergencies next. This crap in Boston, left many runners out there to fend for themselves. One more reason to carry the stuff that I do.

Thanks for the review.  I've been thinking of investing in one.  I have a water belt, but it really doesn't hold enough for the heat and it isn't the most comfortable thing in the world.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

CT JEFF

hi - Ive had my camelbak for about 6 months now. I figured Id be using it all summer, but ...

Something about the heat and humidity - well, I just havent been using the Camelbak because Ive been pooping out at about 4-6 miles. Back when I was doing 15 miles, I really enjoyed it. I need to get my damn milage up.