Do you need to hear live or recorded music during a long race? (Read 251 times)

DoppleBock

In a race - only once for a little while in a 24 hour race.

Training

On a TM - Yes

Any time else - Not often (maybe 1/2 of a percent of the time or less)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

BeeRunB

Not against it, but don't need it. I'm vehemently against unescapable tinnitus-inducing loud music and announcements at the starting line though (where the loudspeakers are right on top of the runners in their corrals). Unpleasant.

Ojo

I don't know you so I can only assume you are joking.

No music for me and I never get bored -- even 100 milers when I am all alone in the dark.  Maybe I am too entertained by the noises my stomach is making because I am only running it to lose weight. 

Men run mostly because they are competitive, women run mostly to loose weight/exercise. Ask any woman why the wear headphones when they run and they will all tell you the same thing... they find running boring. Hence the tunes.

The reality of it is this though, if you want to be a fast runner, and break into the top 10% of runners (in regards to distance run and race speeds) you are gonna have to run without the tunes.

Sara

MM #2929

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I never take music with me on my runs.  I do, however, enjoy passing the entertainment in a marathon.  (Maybe the operative word is *passing* if I don't like the music.)  Not really; in the last marathon I did, there was a group of Japanese drummers, a polka band, an Elvis impersonator, a church band, a HS jazz band, a trumpeter, some little combos, a drumset player, and various DJs.  They add a lot to the experience, IMO.

jfa

Still funny, 27 hours later.

I listen to music all the time. I run without cars around, and can still hear around me, so why not . It motivates me. I can "get in the groove" with a well placed tune. It makes the time go by easier. Hell, I just finished in the top 10% of my AG last marathon cranking the Maroon 5 channel the whole time. Pandora is awesome. Sometimes though, I do just listen to my footfalls and the ocean or the woods.

Live music during the marathon just shows enthusiasm and support, so it's all good.

This is funny that you mentioned this, we were just talking about it the other day.

Here is the reality of the "music while running" thing.

90% of women listen to music when running

10% of men do

I mean, it is almost perfectly split down gender lines...

So it seems like the reason for this is due largely to the reasons why each gender runs.

Men run mostly because they are competitive, women run mostly to loose weight/exercise. Ask any woman why the wear headphones when they run and they will all tell you the same thing... they find running boring. Hence the tunes.

The reality of it is this though, if you want to be a fast runner, and break into the top 10% of runners (in regards to distance run and race speeds) you are gonna have to run without the tunes.

If you need to hear "Eye of the Tiger" (or whatever your motivational song is) to pump you up, then you aren't developing the inner strength and determination required to be your absolute best. That's the facts.  If you don't believe it just go to any race with top runners and see who finishes in the top 5-10%. You might find one or two headphones in there, but not to many more than that.

But hey, on a treadmill, crank the tunes bro.. everyone gets a free pass on that...

Joann Y

During a race it can be fun to hear live music along the way but it is so fleeting that it hardly registers. A few years ago I remember bringing an ipod for a longer race and it was really helpful for motivation etc but over the last couple of years I find it too distracting during a race when I want to try to run fast and really focus on breathing. I'm listening to music less and less now during training runs although I do enjoy it for easy days on occasion. A long easy run is the perfect way to get around to listening to an album that I want to focus on and get to know. The running helps the listening and the listening helps the running in those cases. But during a race, no, not anymore.

degregorius

On long runs, I find myself remembering the melody & lyrics to songs.  However, I have to be careful where I remember these things. Once I was trying to remember the words to the Notre Dame fight song, and tripped over some uneven sidewalk.

Still funny more than 10 days later.

I am a woman who listens to music when I run and sometimes race.  Not because I find it boring - but because I like the as a backdrop to the look on your face as I kick your ass -

Huh - I'm a woman and I'm competitive.  Imagine that.

This is funny that you mentioned this, we were just talking about it the other day.

Here is the reality of the "music while running" thing.

90% of women listen to music when running

10% of men do

I mean, it is almost perfectly split down gender lines...

So it seems like the reason for this is due largely to the reasons why each gender runs.

If you need to hear "Eye of the Tiger" (or whatever your motivational song is) to pump you up, then you aren't developing the inner strength and determination required to be your absolute best. That's the facts.  If you don't believe it just go to any race with top runners and see who finishes in the top 5-10%. You might find one or two headphones in there, but not to many more than that.

But hey, on a treadmill, crank the tunes bro.. everyone gets a free pass on that...

Ready, go.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

No.

I won't run if there is no live music to listen to. I dislike wearing headphones

kcam

Still funny more than 10 days later.

I am a woman who listens to music when I run and sometimes race.  Not because I find it boring - but because I like the as a backdrop to the look on your face as I kick your ass -

Huh - I'm a woman and I'm competitive.  Imagine that.

Yes!  I respectt that you didn't do the ridiculous substitution of "arse" for "ass".

I don't care one way or the other about live music or recorded music in a race.  One thing though, I know it can help motivate you if it's the right 'noise'.  There was a 10K I used to run every year that had a bagpipe contingent playing about 1/2 mile from the finish.  When I'd pass those guys the hair on my arms would stand up and I most definitely got a bit of an adrenaline boost from them.  I can understand why the Scots had bagpipers when they went to war.  F'ing badass.

probably not fast enough

I love to listen to music while I run, and I probably couldn't run without it.  I get a kick out of trying to hear new things in songs, like the other day I suddenly realized something new about the rhythmic structure of "In The City" by Joe Walsh, and that was cool.  One song that often flips me out is "Jessica" by the Allman Bros: long, satisfying vamp into a boogie-licious piano solo, then a sudden key change into the soaring guitar solo gradually working its way back to the original key and a restatement of the theme... hell, I think I'll go out for a run just to listen to it.  Someone mentioned "Uptown Funk" above; I added it to my playlist a week or so ago and it came up today; I was surprised it kind of fell flat for me (doesn't have a lot of musical meat on its bones), but I'll leave it and see if I enjoy it another day.  It's sad to hear that some folks feel unsafe running with music; I regret that for them.  Anyway, I must be one of the ten percent of guys... guess that makes me special, eh?

Julia1971

music is a welcome distraction, but who really needs to hear uptown funk 10x in a 10 mi race (e.g. Broad St last week in philly).  I like live bands, but dont find its worth it when you blow by them in about 10 sec.  i'd prefer some entertainment at the long boring wait to start but most people are real serious...so its not something you see much (if ever).

I ran a relay two weekends ago and listened to the same 4 songs - including Uptown Funk - on repeat the whole time.  LOL!  I don't know why.  I had other music.  Maybe I was trying to put myself in some type of trance-like state.  Needless to say, I've been shopping for new tunes this morning.  Smile

This band has been at some local races and they're awesome.

jfa

So the brochure for the Spring Lake 5 Mile race (big one , 10,000 runners) that I ran this morning states that anyone caught, on camera, wearing headphones or ear buds will be disqualified from the race.

Yet, in actuality, it wasn't enforced at all other than there's a sign just before the finish that says take your headphones / earbuds off for the finish line.

Another anomaly, they had a sign directing Bandits to leave the course here , just before the finish.

BeeRunB

So the brochure for the Spring Lake 5 Mile race (big one , 10,000 runners) that I ran this morning states that anyone caught, on camera, wearing headphones or ear buds will be disqualified from the race.

Yet, in actuality, it wasn't enforced at all other than there's a sign just before the finish that says take your headphones / earbuds off for the finish line.

Another anomaly, they had a sign directing Bandits to leave the course here , just before the finish.

Awesome attitude on the part of the RD. People are going to do both of these things anyway. These actions aren't the end of the world or a crime, and easy to accept with a simple mental adjustment. Embrace your earbuddians and bandits.