X-train for beginning runners? (Read 1821 times)

redleaf

hi Kerry... We finished week 3 on saturday and i'll be out the door in a couple of hours to start week 4. Smile I am loving this... My gf and I registered for the Princess 1/2 in March of next year and then we're going to try to do the marathon at the end of march next year.... i know big goals for only being in week 4 of the c25k. did you start out with the c25k too? and again thanks to everyone for all the great advice. Smile
    Thanks for the update - I'm doing a slightly different learn to run thing and I just finished week 2 this morning! Sunday will start week 3. I'm still trying to figure out how to fit the swimming in as I find the running easier in the morning but there's more swimming available near me in the evening. DH said he'd even come along once a week for the swim!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

zzz

swim... It'll help your breathing and core for running. also if you ever decide to do a tri you'll have a good starting point.
      that's a great point... i would love to tri once i get this running thing down.... i am not a strong swimmer (upper body strength soso) but I have heard from a lot of people that swimming is best... tonight i went to dinner with some friends and one of the people there, whom I just met tonight, is a life guard at the Y where I have a membership.... tomorrow I am volunteering to judge bochi (sic?) ball for a special olympics fund raiser and it's also a run day... sunday i am going to hit the Y for a swim.... Wink
        I wouldn't follow the advice of "more running" for a beginning runner. I'm currently recovering from a stress fracture caused (I think) by too many miles too soon. Right now I'm running 3 days a week with 2 days of cross training. I will probably add a 3rd day of cross training soon swapped with an occasional 4th day of running. A good book which I'm somewhat following is "Run Less Run Faster" by Bill Pierce, Scott Murr, and Ray Moss. This book promotes the idea of running 3 quality runs per week (speed work, tempo, long run) supplemented by quality (and intensive) cross training. The book does not recommend ellipticals, however, since they are load-bearing devices which simulate running. Rather, non load-bearing training is recommended such as swimming, stationary cycling (spinning), and rowing. This gives the legs a well-deserved rest while increasing aerobic capacity and strengthening other muscles. Nick