Heel pain. Is it Bursitis or just heel bruising or??? (Read 2269 times)

flovesparko

Looking for advice about heel pain.  Some of the pain is located directly under the heel,  mostly a dull pain when standing or running. But enough that running is hard to do right now and I always feel like quitting.   I'm still able to run approx. 60mpw and I can still run my fast workouts.  The balance of pain is directly behind the heel and only hurts if I actually press on it (very sharp pain). I've had plantar fasciitis before and it doesn't appear to be that as I don't have the classic sign which is heel pain with the first few steps in the morning.   I'm thinking bursitis? Anybody have or experience that type of pain?    If so what did it take to get the problem solved?   Thanks.

what's your gait like, heel striker? I had endless issues with heel pain, knees, hips, etc...had to have a "come to jesus" and totally re-do how I run, went forefoot for a couple months and now am a happy comfortable mid-sole striker that is pain free for 7 months.

if you have access to a video camera, shoot your gait as you run past, youll learn a wealth of info about the technical aspects of your gait. I wasn't even aware I was heel striker until I watched video and realized I looked like a zombie running...nasty stuff

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Plantar fasciitis.
        Dr Waide Miller

Hey there...  I see this often in my practice, obviously quite frequently encountered by runners...  A great place to begin would be to check out the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, By Clair Davies...It is a non technical explanation for self treatment of heal pain.

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/plantarf.htm

Dr Waide Miller

The ARP Doc

www.thearpdoc.com

Rod Staples

Whats the best way to treat heel pain or the Achilles problem?  I 've been suffering for about a month now and took a week off from running but it still nags.  Any recommendations?  I hate this!  Is there some good stretches I should be doing?  Or just just lay off

SMART Approach

Here what I have recommended to clients over the years with a lot of success for plantar fascitis. Do a lot of one leg balancing with and without shoes? Do it whenever you remember to. As your balance increases, rock a bit to get yourself off balance. Your toes will grab the floor to balance and muscles, tendons, connective tissues etc.  in foot will get stronger and more resistant to issues. I do a lot of one leg squats and generally high reps and multiple sets, and when I am done my foot is throbbing (a good feeling) from trying to keep my balance.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Bumping this thread because I'm currently suffering from heel pain and trying to cope... My pain is in the back of the heel (none what so ever on the bottom or under the arch). 

My pain started very gradually weeks ago in the back of the heel. (It probably coincided with an increase in hill work). For quite a while, the pain would subside during the first half mile or so of my runs, and then I'd be fine.  However, over time it took longer and longer during my runs for the pain to subside, then it quit subsiding completely.  I thought it might be achilles tendonitis, but it seems too low. I think it's heel bursitis. When I press on the back of the heel, and to some degree on the sides of the heel, there's a sharp pain. If I massage the heel area, the pain temporarily goes away.

My coach has advised me to do aqua jogging until the pain is gone, then wait two more days before I try to run again. I've aqua jogged (well, not really a jog -- more like intervals) for most of this week.  Basically, active rest w/out any stress on the heel or lower achilles. Also, I'm soaking my foot in cold water for about 10 minutes at a time, and massaging once it warms up a bit.   I'm a little hesitant to use NSAIDs

Any other symptoms to look for to definitely classify this as heel bursitis vs. achilles tendonitis? Would the treatments be any different?

Advice anyone?

Thanks!

TRC

Do you take fish oil? If mine flares up or the knee starts creaking I just take a few more..this has always taken care of it for me.

Do you take fish oil? If mine flares up or the knee starts creaking I just take a few more..this has always taken care of it for me.

yes, I have for quite a while. I think it's a simple side affect of too much new stuff (hills as part of my training), and doing some plyometrics with a kids running club I coach (to demonstrate to the kids).

At first I thought it was a heel bruise, but it seems like that would be pain on the bottom, not the rear, of the heel.

I have Haglund's deformity, and it caused me problems with the back of my right heel in the past.  Felt like a bruise, and my shoe pushing on it caused the pain.  I took a piece of molefoam padding (the thicker stuff) cut a hole where the pain was and taped that in place on my heel.  It took the pressure off so my shoe didn't press as much and I could run.  I paid attention to stretching my calf pretty good and it resolved after 8 weeks or so.  I don't know if this is what is bothering you, but it's all I got so I figured I would throw it out there.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

ezrida

Whats the best way to treat heel pain or the Achilles problem?  I 've been suffering for about a month now and took a week off from running but it still nags.  Any recommendations?  I hate this!  Is there some good stretches I should be doing?  Or just just lay off

Hi

It depends how much are your Achilles tendon or Plantar fascia inflamed or how painful it is. Over stretching can damage the plantar fascia.

I have plantar fasciitis myself for a few months now and I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it will not necessarily work for the other. I have found Taping as a very useful treatment.

Today as I am feeling much better with the pain I am doing a combination of stretching and strengthening exercises. I have found a good website summary explaining the subject of these exercises in:

http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_stretching.html

Take care & Good luck

<script></script>

I have Haglund's deformity, and it caused me problems with the back of my right heel in the past.  Felt like a bruise, and my shoe pushing on it caused the pain.  I took a piece of molefoam padding (the thicker stuff) cut a hole where the pain was and taped that in place on my heel.  It took the pressure off so my shoe didn't press as much and I could run.  I paid attention to stretching my calf pretty good and it resolved after 8 weeks or so.  I don't know if this is what is bothering you, but it's all I got so I figured I would throw it out there.

bingo! An x-ray revealed a retrocalcaneal heel spur,or Haglunds Deformity,or also called "pump bump" from woman's pump shoes.

Most likely caused by: tight calves/achilles, too much hill work, and possibly a slightflaw in my gait.
                          Luckily, the spur is pretty small, especially compared to the pictures the podiatrist showed me. 
                          He said I can continue to run, just stay off the hills and run easy. I'm also doing some PT sessions to help with the inflammation, and to be "educated" with some good stretches and strengthening exercises to possibly prevent this in the future.  

I also discovered the podiatrist was a sub 29' 10K track runner in college.  Yikes...

Try getting the molefoam padding (any pharmacy can order it for you) and cutting a strip with a hole to fit over the bump on the back of your heel....it worked wonders for me .  Glad you got a good answer.

mta:  Mine, although I still have the bumps on the backs of my heels, went away pretty quickly and haven't caused any pain since (about 2 years).

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Thanks Dg!