Running coach (Read 1099 times)

I've been working with a coach since late 2010.  My training for the 2011 Flying Pig was a mess.  I have some issues with a bad ankle and a little chronic illness.  Not only did my ankle really bother me all last year, but I ended up with para-influenza.  I didn't get off the couch for over three weeks in March last year.  So, I didn't run the Pig or any other races with him that year.  None of it was his fault and I felt very comfortable with the communication level and his understanding of my past injuries and my illness.

However, this year my training is going great.  I ran an almost 11 minute PR in a tune-up half marathon a few weeks ago.  The training has me in shape to be within striking distance of my sub 4 marathon goal in a month.  I'm in shape for it, just a matter of if I can maintain pace, etc.  But, again, we have been working on that all year.

I really think that finding someone that fits you is the key.  My coach is great with me.  We email or talk at least once a week.  He's been able to adjust if my body won't let me do a certain workout (which hasn't happened yet this year).  He's also been able to address any concerns I've had about my fitness, my ability to run a certain pace, etc.  In fact, he talked me off the ledge for that half marathon PR a few weeks ago.

I'd be happy to give you his contact information, etc. if you'd like. 

Mark

I've been working with a coach since late 2010.  My training for the 2011 Flying Pig was a mess.  I have some issues with a bad ankle and a little chronic illness.  Not only did my ankle really bother me all last year, but I ended up with para-influenza.  I didn't get off the couch for over three weeks in March last year.  So, I didn't run the Pig or any other races with him that year.  None of it was his fault and I felt very comfortable with the communication level and his understanding of my past injuries and my illness.

However, this year my training is going great.  I ran an almost 11 minute PR in a tune-up half marathon a few weeks ago.  The training has me in shape to be within striking distance of my sub 4 marathon goal in a month.  I'm in shape for it, just a matter of if I can maintain pace, etc.  But, again, we have been working on that all year.

I really think that finding someone that fits you is the key.  My coach is great with me.  We email or talk at least once a week.  He's been able to adjust if my body won't let me do a certain workout (which hasn't happened yet this year).  He's also been able to address any concerns I've had about my fitness, my ability to run a certain pace, etc.  In fact, he talked me off the ledge for that half marathon PR a few weeks ago.

I'd be happy to give you his contact information, etc. if you'd like. 

Mark

I'd really appreciate his contact information. Thank you very much.

Hey, don't get me wrong; ain't nothing wrong with Jackie-boy.  There is a reason why DRF is referred to as the running bible.  The info is there if you're willing to put it in the time and effort.  All I'm saying is that I found Hudson to be more readable and accessible, and would probably be a helpful resource and relatively quick read for the OP.  

(But, I mean, come on.  I spend much of my waking life reading academic journals, and I often found my eyes glazing over reading Daniels.) 

I are engineer. Seemed an easy read. Wink

Saw this in a magazine last year, and kept it to keep me honest and have me grounded in my decision with the ability to re-assess every few months....

Don't think that it's as simple as asking 3 - 10 questions, but it may be a good baseline for determining what route you should go.

Do you need a coach?

Do you like to read about training?

If NO:  Do you Need Someone to be Accountable to?

If NO: Download a Training Plan

If YES: Hire a Coach

If YES: Are you interested in Physiology?

If NO: Do you Need Someone to be Accountable to?

If YES: Are you Self Motivated?

If NO (or NOT ALWAYS): Do you Need Someone to be Accountable to?

If YES: Coach Yourself

BTW, source: Competitor, April, 2011.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life