The Hunger Games (books & movies) (Read 907 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

and, to elaborate just a tidge -- the second book could have been skipped altogether and the third condensed into 3 or 4 chapters plus an epilogue and added to the first, and it would have been a complete dystopian tale in one volume. there is too much emphasis placed on publishing multiple volumes. pluswise, the third book was filled with gratuitous death and unfinished plotlines. blech.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hrm...perhaps I should just quit reading while I'm ahead...?  That sounds like the Matrix movies.  I REALLY wish I'd never seen the last 2.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

and, to elaborate just a tidge -- the second book could have been skipped altogether and the third condensed into 3 or 4 chapters plus an epilogue and added to the first, and it would have been a complete dystopian tale in one volume. there is too much emphasis placed on publishing multiple volumes. pluswise, the third book was filled with gratuitous death and unfinished plotlines. blech.

And the some of the boobie traps, monsters under the streets, and, lets face it, the entire battle scene in the city in the 3rd book were just insulting.  I remember being angry with the author at certain points.  Like, "now you're just mocking your audience."

Runners run

ultramarathon/triathlete

We rented an entire theater.  Seeing it tonight.  Pretty exciting times around here :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

"run" "2" "eat"

i would appreciate the capability to delete a post that i made and that is no longer valid.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

"run" "2" "eat"

ultramarathon/triathlete

Remember, it's a book for young adults.  We WANT them to read a lot --they're spending too much time watching tv.  Kids are leaving school in the summer only to come back a grade level LOWER from a lack of reading which is becoming a huge problem.  We're trying to get rid of the excuse that there's nothing fun to read.

It wasn't about "publishing multiple volumes" it's about getting kids hooked on reading and wanting to come back for more. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

"run" "2" "eat"

are you in the publishing industry? 

firstly, the second and third books sucked and the young adults that read them are likely to be turned off to reading if they think that is what they will get when they read stuff.

and, secondly, yes it is about publishing (and SELLING) multiple volumes. it's not about the reading, really, it's about the selling.

yes, it is.

Remember, it's a book for young adults.  We WANT them to read a lot --they're spending too much time watching tv.  Kids are leaving school in the summer only to come back a grade level LOWER from a lack of reading which is becoming a huge problem.  We're trying to get rid of the excuse that there's nothing fun to read.

Which is why we shouldn't insult their intelligence by stretching a book into a series for no other reason than to make more money off of it.  Young adults are cynical enough as it is.

My young adult felt equally mocked and burned (heh) by the 2nd and 3rd installments.

Runners run

RunsForCake

Loved the first book, second was okay and read only 40 pages into the third before I gave up.  I just could not stay interested and was getting annoyed with the main character. 

With that said I can't wait for the movie!

I first heard about the book this past Sunday, and within 5 hours, I heard about it in 3 separate conversations.

Since that time, my 18yo son purchased the 1st book, read the book, and ordered midnight tickets to see the movie tonight with his friends.

(I hope he did good on his AP-Statistics midterm this morning.... ugh).

I'm sure I'll hear more about it and likely read the book over the next few days.
                        Enjoy!

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

RunsForCake

Harry Potter was/is a young adult series and I could not put those books down.

I was hoping that the movie would be the entire trilogy. But I hear the 3rd book will be made into 2 movies, sigh.

I do hope it's not overly violent. I thought Cars 2 was ridiculously violent. That movie horrified me. My kids didn't seem to notice though.

ultramarathon/triathlete

are you in the publishing industry? 

firstly, the second and third books sucked and the young adults that read them are likely to be turned off to reading if they think that is what they will get when they read stuff.

and, secondly, yes it is about publishing (and SELLING) multiple volumes. it's not about the reading, really, it's about the selling.

yes, it is.

Yes. My company publishes the Hunger Games.  And Harry Potter (and most children's books, actually).  

So far, the fact is that sales of the Hunger Games have lead to a huge increase in YA reading overall.  They're not being turned off.  This I can substantiate with numbers. 

And while we like selling multiple "volumes" as you put it, that's not our goal as a publisher.  In fact, lots of books come though here that would be "volumes" or series, and they get turned down, often for books that are 1-offs, but just better material.  We want kids to love reading, and that's the absolute bottom line. 

And while I hear you that some people didn't like books 2 and 3 (or even book 1), more did.  Sales numbers show this, and they made a movie that's already huge.  The books are being read like nothing else right now.  That comes from word of mouth.  If people said "I read book X and the second and 3rd were not so great" do you think they'd all be best sellers?  Probably not. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Any series that makes good use of the word "pluswise" can't be all terrible. Not that I've read any of it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.