First two mile (Read 944 times)

Okay, so I ran the first two mile of my young career so far, and I ran a 11:13, which I am completely unsatisfied with. I do not know where I was today when I was running it, but my head was clearly not where it belonged. That 11:13 was good for last out of ten (although seven of them were varsity runners). So, why do I mention this race if I was so bad? Well, the other freshman on the team (whom I like to call the fab four) ran very well. Two of them ran the two mile with me, and they got a 10:55 and an 11:00, respectively. Also, one of the fab four ran the mile, and got 5:02, which is not a PR, but is still solid. The last of the four ran in the 800 and got a 2:15, and it was his first 800. So, basically, I have decided that this will be the worst race of my career, as I will not be able to live with myself if I run that badly ever again... luckily I'll be able to redeem myself on Saturday, when I'll be running the freshman mile...
    PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season

Just Be

The 2 mile is a really tough race. You did well. Smile What was tactically wrong with your race, in your opinion? What are you going to work on until next time so that you don't make the same mistakes again?
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Take a deep breath. Your time is a solid time for a first-time frosh two-miler. There will be many more races. Some will rock, some will suck, but this was just the first of many. You are lucky to have competition on your team. It will only make you better. I think runner92 asks a good question -- what was wrong with your race, aside from being beaten by people that you want to beat? If I had to hazard a guess, I imagine you went out too fast in the first lap and the first mile. Do you remember any of your splits? Hang in there. Don't beat yourself up. The two mile is hard.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Just Be

... If I had to hazard a guess, I imagine you went out too fast in the first lap and the first mile.
          99% of the time this was the case for me. I'd go out at the maximum pace that I felt I could maintain for 2 miles, but in a competition environment I always ended up pushing a little harder without even realizing it... it is somewhat of an artform to stick to your pacing goals in a race. By the 4th lap of the first mile I'd need to start slowing the pace, IIRC, usually by 5 to 10 seconds per mile (when I was running 2 miles in the low 11s), and then I'd struggle through the last mile. From what I remember, the feeling I had during that last mile of most of my 2 mile races was almost always the same - my body felt fine with the exception of how hard I was breathing. Maybe I didn't have enough aerobic conditioning because other people I've talked to who've raced the 2 mile sometimes don't share the same perceptions, but I always felt like I was running as slow as a snail during that last mile, especially toward the end when everyone would turn on their finishing kicks, but I still did well. Even as my times improved the sensation remained the same. I bet the progression will be the same for you (you'll do well) if you put in the necessary effort and don't allow yourself to become discouraged by dissappointing races - use them as a learning experience. Smile
            Yeah, I just felt like I went out at a good pace for the first mile, but I didn't really push it like I should have for the second. Looking back at it, i feel like I could have pushed it a little bit harder at that 2400 meter point or so. I'm just taking it as a learning experience, and hopefully I'll be able to redeem myself on Saturday when I am running the mile...
            PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey averagefrosh, I see your current mile PR is 5:05. Plugging that into various running calculators shows an equivalent two-mile time of around 10:50. Now this doesn't automatically mean you can run that time -- you have to be trained for it, but it's something to aim for. (and of course, as a freshman, your times are always in flux). So at your next race, aim to run the first mile around 5:25~5:30 (and make sure that first lap isn't too fast). Hold on to your pace for dear life in laps 5~7. And lay the hammer down on the last lap -- it should be your fastest lap. If you can do this, I'll bet you'll get under 11:00. Good Luck!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Just Be

BTW, was this really a 2 mile race? I'm guessing it was a 3200m, in which case, you'll have to work a little bit harder for a true sub 5 1 mile PR.
                  No, I am sure this was actually a 2 miler. I am aware there is a difference, and I even made the point to check with my coach.
                  Tyler S

I was planning on trying this race pretty soon. Sub 10:50 is definitely my goal so I can qualify for states (they make it pretty easy). I'm sure I can do it if I can go out in 5:18-5:20, which would give me a little breathing room to get 5:25-ish. Oh by the way there is only a 9 meter disparity between a mile and the 1600, around 2 seconds.
                    allout88

The 2 mile to a high school runner is like the 5k to a college runner (10k is just dumb on the track) but when you are in good shape the nice thing is that it's really not too hard for about half of the race if you run it right, but it's all mental for the last 4-5 laps depending on how hard you went out. Usually when going for the win in a slow heat or a weak small meet it would be easy for 6 laps, then kick. But i would have to say 11:13 for a first ever 2 mile is really good. I would bet that if you keep it up you will easily be sub 10 before college.