Seattle Love 'em or Leave 'em 5k (Read 479 times)

Hi, this is my first race report here. This morning I ran the Love 'em or Leave 'em 5k at Green Lake in Seattle. I was a little apprehensive about running this because I have been base training for the last few weeks, so not running at anything under a 9:30-10 min pace. I'm also suffering from bursitis in my hip which only hurts when I really start to pound. So basically, I went into this race expecting to run between 24 and 25 minutes (my previous PR was 22:49) Anyway, I got there and took a nice 2 mile warmup jog at a 9 min pace with a few 20 second pickups. At the start I was just chatting with my buddy, standing in the middle of the 7 min group when the horn went off. I immediately hit my watch and took off. I hit the first mile at 6:57 which I knew was too fast even though it felt great. By mile 2 I was at a more reasonable pace, hitting that mile marker at 14:22. After that my hip started bugging me and I just tried to hang with a girl who was about 5 paces ahead of me. I hit mile 3 in a little bit of pain but otherwise strong at 21:48. The last .1 must have been a little more than that because at a flat out run from 3 - 3.1 it still took me 53 seconds for a finish time of 22:41 (22:46 official). So I actually PR'd by a few seconds which was shocking. 20/259 in age group 48/704 women
      CONGRATS!!! Nice time! Gawd I miss Green Lake Cry So was the race on the Green Lake loop?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wingz

Professional Noob

Whoot! Big grin Congrats on your PR!

Roads were made for journeys...

CONGRATS!!! Nice time! Gawd I miss Green Lake Cry So was the race on the Green Lake loop?
          Hey thanks! It was on the loop. It went clockwise starting and ending near the crew house with an extra out and back by the pool and basketball courts to make it an even 5k. The weird thing was that they kept the path open to regular users even though there were close 1300 people racing so there was a small amount of dodging cyclists, walkers, and regular joggers to be done.
          Duncanma

Congrats on the time, I was in that race too... not as a good of a result though. It was my first 5K and I took it way too easy. With all the people running around me I was really worried about setting too fast of a pace and instead I ran at nearly exactly 9 min/mile for the entire race. Still, it was my first race and I had a good time Smile my time
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Congrats on the time, I was in that race too... not as a good of a result though. It was my first 5K and I took it way too easy. With all the people running around me I was really worried about setting too fast of a pace and instead I ran at nearly exactly 9 min/mile for the entire race. Still, it was my first race and I had a good time Smile my time
              Nice showing for a first 5K! And you'll know better next time how to run it, too!

Roads were made for journeys...