Mortens Toe (Read 1979 times)

It appears i have been afflicted with "Mortens Toe" - the second toe is larger than the big toe making it painful after my run.

Any suggestions or trainers which are good for dealing this problem

xhristopher

It appears i have been afflicted with "Mortens Toe" - the second toe is larger than the big toe making it painful after my run.

Any suggestions or trainers which are good for dealing this problem

I didn't know what this was called till Nobby recently used the term. I think he said he's got the same affliction. I've got it to. It isn't much of an issue for me unless I race distances over half marathon length. I went up a half a size and it's been ok since. I'm sure Nobby has better words of wisdom.

L Train

Me too.  No real issues except that I'd probably be a 2:20 guy if I could use my big toe properly.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This foot attribute is very common, and is not abnormal.  In and of itself, it should not cause any problems and should not cause pain.  If you have pain, something else is going on.  Or your shoes are too small.

No Talent Drips

This foot attribute is very common, and is not abnormal.  In and of itself, it should not cause any problems and should not cause pain.  If you have pain, something else is going on.  Or your shoes are too small.

Damn! I thought I might be like L Train...and have an Olympic qualifying time--but for that Morten's toe of mine.

Dei Gratia

I have Morton's Toe too, and it's not a big issue for me.  Basically, I buy 1 size shoe larger than normal, otherwise, I'll lose my 2nd toenail on any run and cause blisters, etc.  That may be the pain that you mention and experience.  I've been running for the past 10 years consistently, and never have issues with it.

I run about 20 miles per week with a large shoe.  The key to shoes for me (since I wear them a little longer than I should) is how I tie the shoe...  See my stick-man diagram below (x's, pipes, and periods).  It is important to keep the toe area secured by tight lacing, and then leave the middle section by the bone at the top of your foot loose, and then continue crossing all the way to the very top and tightening that section.

The "near toe" section is tight, and keeps the foot from moving up and down. 
              The "near upper ankle" tightness keeps the toe from sliding into the front of the shoe.

._.      (near upper ankle)

X       tight

X       tight

|  |      lose

X       tight

~       (near toe)

I have a brother and a nephew with Morton's Toe that never bothered to ever buy shoes that were long enough for their 2nd toe, and they've developed a Hammer Toe that forces the 2nd toe to bend to the length of the big toe and 3rd toe.  They can NOT run without pain.  In my opinion, they caused the hammer toe by buying down in shoe size during their development years, as we're genetically the same.

Cheers,
              Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Maggie & Molly

I have a brother and a nephew with Morton's Toe that never bothered to ever buy shoes that were long enough for their 2nd toe, and they've developed a Hammer Toe that forces the 2nd toe to bend to the length of the big toe and 3rd toe.  They can NOT run without pain.  In my opinion, they caused the hammer toe by buying down in shoe size during their development years, as we're genetically the same.

Cheers,
                Brian

I ended up with a hammer toe.  I can run, pain free as long as I keep the nail trimmed tight and wear a shoe size one up!   otherwise I end up losing the nail on that toe and pain when I run.  I know immediately when I need a pedi

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

I have one too but it doesn't really bother me.  I heard that it was a sign of intelligence.  Of course that could be an old wive's tale. 

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I've got it, too!  (Actually, I've got two of them.)  It's not the toe that longer, it's the second metatarsal.  For some people, it's no problem at all.  For others, it puts more and/or undue pressure/pressure on the ball of the second toe, rather than the ball of the great toe, as well as more stress applied to that smaller second metatarsal.  If that's the pain you're experiencing (and I had it), I found that a small oval of thin moleskin applied to the underside of the shoes' insoles, right under the ball of the great toe, helped tremendously.

That, and buying shoes to fit your longest toe, whichever it may be.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Wing

Joggaholic

Thank you for this thread!! Now I know what I have.

My 2nd toe is all purplish underneath the toenail and it has been like that for over a week. So besides all the already mentioned solutions (get better fitted shoes, socks, padding..etc), is there a way to help it heal faster? Or shall I just do the obvious and stop running for a while and go shoe shopping?

I have it too.  And until I became a runner, I always thought that this was the way feet were supposed to look.

I guess I just never paid much attention.  I have no issues.

I find it interesting that sometimes this "condition" is considered a disorder, while some 25% of the people have it.

Yet, some estimates of lefthandedness run at 10%. 

It's probably politically incorrect to say that lefthandedness is a disorder. 

Disclaimer:

(yes, the above "statistics" were gleaned from the internet.  And, are probably folkore, false, fake, wrong, anecdotal, and everything else that the internet sometimes is)

Jeff

I have it too.  And until I became a runner, I always thought that this was the way feet were supposed to look.

I guess I just never paid much attention.  I have no issues.

I find it interesting that sometimes this "condition" is considered a disorder, while some 25% of the people have it.

Yet, some estimates of lefthandedness run at 10%. 

It's probably politically incorrect to say that lefthandedness is a disorder. 

Disclaimer:

(yes, the above "statistics" were gleaned from the internet.  And, are probably folkore, false, fake, wrong, anecdotal, and everything else that the internet sometimes is)

Careful TechTee,

I'm a lefty with Morten's Toe.  Are you saying that I have 2 disorders? Smile

Wing, first you should buy larger shoes.  In terms of healing, I don't know, but I can't imagine that it'll take too long, and I doubt that it'll hurt too much when you're in longer shoes.  If it does, then wait longer.  (Normally, I wear size 12 shoes.  When I run, I wear size 13.  I have a full thumb width in front of my big toe allowing my other toes plenty of room to rest while I'm on my run).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Careful TechTee,

I'm a lefty with Morten's Toe.  Are you saying that I have 2 disorders? Smile

Wing, first you should buy larger shoes.  In terms of healing, I don't know, but I can't imagine that it'll take too long, and I doubt that it'll hurt too much when you're in longer shoes.  If it does, then wait longer.  (Normally, I wear size 12 shoes.  When I run, I wear size 13.  I have a full thumb width in front of my big toe allowing my other toes plenty of room to rest while I'm on my run).

Morton's Toe *AND* left handed?  You freak!  :-0

Jeff

jules2

I'm  a lefty with my own toes, why doesn't Morten notice that people keep stealing his toesConfused

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I'm a lefty with Morton's Toe and Misophonia.  

I am not an animal! I am a human being!