Long run done: Taper Time! (Read 626 times)

Phew! Ran 20 miles Saturday, 3 and a half hrs of running is no joke. Miles 1-3 are always rough, unless I am only running 3 miles. But it normally takes me about 3 miles to really get comfortable. Miles 3 -14 was cruising along, singing to the mp3, and I hit the 12 mile mark at well under 2 hrs. 12 - 17 the sun broke and I ran into some minor hills which really took its toll on me, but I plodded on. Stopped at mile 17 to refill on gatorade/water, but probably should have kept going as it was tough to start running after stopping for 2 minutes. Shuffled along for about a half a mile, before I was able to "run". Probably at about a 11+min /mi pace at this point. Felt pretty tired after 20, especially knowing I will still need 6.2 more miles to go come the actual race, but was able to "kick it" with about a 1/2 mile to go up a hill to finish strong. (in my minds eye, I was running down that last .2 towards the finish). Now after having completed the 20 miler and figureing my overall pace around 10:30, I could be on track for a 4:30. But honestly knowing the way I felt around mile 18, I know that those last 6.2 won't be at a 10:30, in fact I am pretty sure i'll be walking a few of those later miles. So my official goal is still: 1) FINISH 2) ~ 4:30 - 4:45 Start tapering this week, and looking forward to these next couple weeksof training before the big day.
      Nice job. I did my last 20 on Saturday too. It sounds like our runs were eerily similar Undecided ! It's nice to have the taper to recover and get ready for the race. Which one are you doing and good luck!
      "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan

You'll ruin your knees!

OK, don't be thinking about how bad you felt at 18, 19 or 20. Don't be thinking about the "last 6.2". Just think about getting to the next aid station...not beyond it...then the next aid station...not beyond it...right foot, left foot, repeat! You'll be done before you know it! Congrats on the long run, good luck with the tapir (madness, it's madness I tell you...mmmmmmwwwwwwaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa!) Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

yay!! the taper has begun! The taper is where all the mental stuff starts to happen. Confused I did my last long run on Saturday and felt really crappy until about mile 21 and then I hit my groove and finished strong. It felt so strange going out and only running 5 miles this morning. Great advice Lynn! I always think 1 more mile...just a few more minutes...

Jennifer mm#1231

Which one are you doing and good luck!
            Thanks. Rock N Roll, San Diego June 3rd. You?
              OK, don't be thinking about how bad you felt at 18, 19 or 20. Don't be thinking about the "last 6.2". Just think about getting to the next aid station...not beyond it...then the next aid station...not beyond it...right foot, left foot, repeat! You'll be done before you know it! Congrats on the long run, good luck with the tapir (madness, it's madness I tell you...mmmmmmwwwwwwaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa!) Lynn B
              You know that is great advice. My problem is I always seem to be thinking, "ok, x miles down, y to go" except when I am in the groove. Problem is, the groove only seems to last about 10 miles in the middle, but i'll definetly try to apply your advice and think in smaller increments. "ok, water stop 3 down, 2 miles till next stop". 2 miles, that's easy... Hmm it could work!!
                Jen, wow great 22 miler. Today is the much needed rest day for me.. Is it time to start carb loading yet??? mmmmm I like carbs.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Enjoy the taper...just don't let it make you too nuts. I had some shin issues during my own recent taper--about 50% real pain, but 50% I'm sure was completely in my head. No pain whatsoever on race day. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

yah. the taper makes me nuts. everything hurts and if it doesn't I still have phantom pains/injuries. Roll eyes The worst part is second guessing myself, worrying I won't hit my goal and what that might feel like since I've had a one track mind for so long. must.stop.crunching.numbers.splits. Tongue I just tell myself, run strong and be proud of finishing.

Jennifer mm#1231

Thanks. Rock N Roll, San Diego June 3rd. You?
                      Casper WY. June 3rd.
                      "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan