Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

I hesitate to start another goal thread. But, maybe there are enough people with this round number on their minds.  Anyone, anyone?

Insights from gangsters of good will are earnestly solicited.

Attempting

Barefoot Josh

BCR

Candice S.

Chris UK

CliveFenster

CNYrunner

Coockie_jr

Dickey

DJL

dreamless sleep

dspeer

extendedsolo

Dumas

Greg_C

henteaser

James_H

jerbreck

jpdeaux

James_H

JimHowe

kmark

Jules2

L Train

longtimesun

MandyS

NaderAlfie

Slosh252

Tchuck

Walt.RB

Lineup

dspeer - Lebanon, TN, 2/12

MandyS - Wellington, 2/20

L Train  - Half at the Hamptons, 2/20

Greg_C - Half at the Hamptons, 2/20

Slosh252 - Colchester Half Marathon, 2/26

James_H - Tom King, 3/12

Matt_B - Tom King, 3/12

CNYrunner - NYC Half Marathon, 3/20

Slimbo - NYC Half Marathon, 3/20

jpdeaux - New Bedford Half Marathon, 3/20 

Barefoot Josh - Martinsville Half Marathon, 3/26

Coockie_jr - National Marathon, 3/26

Chris UK Friskney Half, 4/3

Jules2 - Belvoir Half, 4/3

NaderAlfie - Asbury Park Half Marathon, 4/16

MandyS - Rotorua, 4/30 or Nelson, 5/1

NaderAlfie - Long Branch Half Marathon, 5/1

kmark - 5/1

Tchuck - Green Bay Marathon (Half), 5/15

Candice S. The Rockford Marathon (Half), Rockford, IL, 5/15

dreamless sleep - Pittsburgh HM, Pittsburgh, PA 5/15

MandyS - Christchurch Half Marathon, Christchurch, NZ, 6/5

MandyS -  Harbour Capital Half Marathon, Wellington, NZ, 6/19

Tief - Eisenbahn Marathon (Half), West Bend, Wisconsin, 8/27

BCR - Emerald City Half Marathon, Dublin , Ohio, 9/4

Tchuck - Fox Cities Marathon (Half), Appleton, Wisconsin, 9/18

BCR - State to State Half Marathon, Oxford, Ohio, 9/25

jerbreck - Blakes Half Marathon, Montreal, Quebec, 9/25

NaderAlfie - Newport Liberty Half Marathon, Jersey City, New Jersey, 9/25

Walt.RB - Hudson- Mohawk 1/2 Marathon, Albany, NY 10/9

NaderAlfie - Pequannock Half Marathon, Pequannock, NJ, 10/22

MoBramExam - The Mid-South Championship HM, Wynne, AR, 11/5

extendedsolo - Tyranena Beer Run, Lake Mills, WI, 11/5

JimHowe - Clarksburg Half Marathon, 11/13

NaderAlfie - Philadelphia Marathon (Half), 11/20

Dumas - Holiday Half Marathon, Portland, OR, 12/11

longtimesun - Holiday Half Marathon, Portland, OR,12/11

Minutewoman

MandyS - 1:29:47

Minutemen

Coockie_jr (1:19:22; 1:22:00)

PaulyGram (1:26:15)

sAc238 (1:27:34)

MoBramExam (1:28:01)

extendedsolo (1:28:10)

kmark (1:28:28)

James_H (1:28:39)

Slimbo (1:28:59)

pr100  (1:29:01)

L Train (1:29:22)

jpdeaux (1:29:44)

NaderAlfie (1:29:51)

Walt.RB (1:29:54)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

I will semi jump in because my first goal is 1:30Tight lippedx. If I hit that, we will see.

My first attempt was supposed to be this past Saturday at Disney and the weather was perfect.  Unfortunately, my December was NOT perfect, training-wise, and I did something dumb on 12/31 (unrelated to New Years' Eve).  I missed my goal by 18 minutes.  In a half.  Yikes.

Dunno when my next attempt will occur.  April or May.

Edited to add: ah yes, puke smiley.  This site automagically plugs in the smiley when it sees the secret code.  I didn't mean to put puke smiley there, but it is reasonably accurate.

srlopez, no less!

Hey, man what should we call people who succeed? I see all the other threads calling them "graduates." I dunno.

Imminent Catastrophe

I will semi jump in because my first goal is 1:30Tight lippedx. If I hit that, we will see.

My first attempt was supposed to be this past Saturday at Disney and the weather was perfect.  Unfortunately, my December was NOT perfect, training-wise, and I did something dumb on 12/31 (unrelated to New Years' Eve).  I missed my goal by 18 minutes.  In a half.  Yikes.

Dunno when my next attempt will occur.  April or May.

Edited to add: ah yes, puke smiley.  This site automagically plugs in the smiley when it sees the secret code.  I didn't mean to put puke smiley there, but it is reasonably accurate.

Tight lipped

Tight lipped

Tight lipped

Huh.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

I don't know.  I *do* know that really fast half people start referring to their times in minutes ("I ran a 68 minute half").  I find it rather hilarious when people refer to themselves as running "a 95 minute half".  Settle down.

Once upon a time at the San Francisco Marathon, two guys started barging their way through the starting area asking people if this was "the elite corral, the fast one".  I asked them how fast they were planning on running... because that year, the race start behind the elites was simply an honor system of seeding oneself appropriately. And they didn't look elite.  Their answer?  "We are planning on running a 95 minute half".  Settle down.

My point: I dunno when it is appropriate to start referring to oneself as a minute-based half marathoner without looking estupido.  It is somewhere below 90 (1:30). Probably way below.  I am going to go with 75 (1:15).

So people who have made the sub-1:30 goal are in the gray area on this.

Minutemen.

And Minutewomen.

Tempted... not sure if I can do it or not tho', I did 1:34 last year.

Add me to the semi-in group.  I am not looking at sub-1:30 but at hitting around 1:30:XX this year some time.  I have run sub-1:30 in the past but I'm in new territory now that I am 47 and dealing with arthritic knees.  Am thinking about running the Charlottesville half and actually started a Pfitz training plan with that in mind, but that would probably not be a 1:30 attempt as I hear it is quite hilly.  Maybe at Rock n Roll here in VB in September. 

Once a runner . . .

Tempted... not sure if I can do it or not tho', I did 1:34 last year.

Hey man, at least we can say ran with the fast crowd. Give it a shot.

Prince of Fatness

This time last year this goal was in the back of my head, then shit happened, so I need to wait until 2012 to even think about it.  As Marisa says my biological clock is ticking, so I'll just have to wait and see how things go.

And I'm just posting this useless blather to test L-Train's resistance.

Not at it at all. 

I know, Finn.  You're like almost as old as Reno Stirrat, even.  To make matters worse, he's also from NJ.

xhristopher

This time last year this goal was in the back of my head, then shit happened, so I need to wait until 2012 to even think about it.  As Marisa says my biological clock is ticking, so I'll just have to wait and see how things go.

And I'm just posting this useless blather to test L-Train's resistance.

Speaking of LTrain ... I think Nader should go ahead and add him to the list of hopefulls. Half at the Hamptons, Feb 20.

Add me in, although it's probably a stretch given my 1:36:56 last August.  I don't know that I'll run more than maybe two HMs this year.

Am thinking about running the Charlottesville half and actually started a Pfitz training plan with that in mind, but that would probably not be a 1:30 attempt as I hear it is quite hilly.

It is.  But I don't think it adds that much time over a flat course.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Chris UK

I'll give it a go. I did 1:30:36 in my first (and last) half in April 2010.

Had I been a few months older last time I would have headed the V60 group by about 5 minutes so now that I'm 60 I'm also aiming for a group win in the same race. April 3rd will be my "D Day" so plenty of time to get some miles in.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Add me in, although it's probably a stretch given my 1:36:56 last August.  I don't know that I'll run more than maybe two HMs this year.

It is.  But I don't think it adds that much time over a flat course.

Well that is good to know, though I live in Virginia Beach where there is nary a hill in sight so I have pretty much zero opportunity to train hills.

Once a runner . . .

I don't know.  I *do* know that really fast half people start referring to their times in minutes ("I ran a 68 minute half").  I find it rather hilarious when people refer to themselves as running "a 95 minute half".  Settle down.

Once upon a time at the San Francisco Marathon, two guys started barging their way through the starting area asking people if this was "the elite corral, the fast one".  I asked them how fast they were planning on running... because that year, the race start behind the elites was simply an honor system of seeding oneself appropriately. And they didn't look elite.  Their answer?  "We are planning on running a 95 minute half".  Settle down.

My point: I dunno when it is appropriate to start referring to oneself as a minute-based half marathoner without looking estupido.  It is somewhere below 90 (1:30). Probably way below.  I am going to go with 75 (1:15).

So people who have made the sub-1:30 goal are in the gray area on this.

Minutemen.

And Minutewomen.

Yeah I'd say grey area for sure.