Post marathon message (Read 653 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

About how long after the marathon should you get a message? The day of? A few days later? I've never had a sports message. What are some things to look for when selecting a masseusse? messager?

I usually get a light massage from my wife on both days. For professional massages, I've had mixed experiences. If they know what they are doing and are cognizant of the differences between somebody that just ran a marathon and somebody coming to get an actual problem fixed, then getting one after the race is fine. If they try doing some deep tissue stuff, though, you are just asking for increased risk of injury.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Here's a message: You need to work on your spelling. It's not a sports message really, but there you have it.
          Some of the larger marathons actually offer massages after the race. A light sports massage will help with recovery by increasing blood flow to your muscles. End of message. Wink Tom
          C-R

I hear ice baths work wonders as well. follow this link for Marcus' recent experience. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/68e3f30fb7184ec8b86e25ad51b073f7

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

2 things... 1. I got a massage the second day after my last 1/2 marathon. and blain is right... carefull... my massage therapist said "oh... well we will have to take it easy then. Good thing you told me I won't go too deep then" She works with many of the folks from my running club... 2.) ice bath thing really does work wonders BUT I just can't bring myself to do it sometimes...an alternative is a good soak in epsom salts and it work almost as good IMHO... unless you have major swelling then the ice bath wins... personally I really like to have my sore muscles worked with light massage... As for what to look for... it is tough but one thing you could do is ask some folks you know who are runners if anybody knows someone with experience working with runners... or if there are some at the race (if it is local... get their card) you want someone who isn't trying to make you relax... that will fix your pains... or at least loosen them up some
                I had a massage the day after I ran my first marathon. It was with a massage therapist who I had seen a few times before - mostly to work a lot of tension and knots out of my neck, shoulders and back a few years ago. The day after the marathon she worked almost exclusively on my legs - IT band area, quads, hammies, calves, arches, glutes, etc. I feel it really helped me recover faster as I had a lot of soreness in my legs the day after the marathon and the day after the massage I felt a lot better. Good luck!