Drinks during a cold run (Read 847 times)

Although cold in the UK (0 degrees C/ 32 F ) tonight I went for my scheduled run taking with me my trusty bottle of weak diluted orange squash in my grippy bottle. After about 3 miles I took a glug of fluid which by this time had an opportunity to cool considerably from the ambient house temperature. I was rather taken aback by the desperate coolness of the fluid and it got me thinking. As I am running in very cold temperatures these days my outer body temperature will be quite low, blood flow will be moved away from my body core to the major muscles and heart. If I am taken on cold fluids, is there a danger of me lowering my core temperature further causing me the danger of getting slight hyperthermia? I am aware that I do not need to drink as much during cold weather but I am concerned that I am doing more harm than good. Has anyone got any thoughts about fluid intake during cold weather , are warm drinks OK? I have a habit now after a cold run of having a nice warm cup of coffee or tea and put a nice comfy fleece on to regulate my temperature.

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I rarely drink AT ALL during cold weather runs unless the ambient humidity is very low.

I rarely drink during cold runs either. You could wear a camelbak style pack under a few of your layers while out running so that your body temp can keep it a little warmer, or you could start the run with some heated water (just not so hot you melt hte plastic if you use a plastic container to carry with, obviously.)

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Scout7

I believe you can increase your risk for a cold weather injury by drinking cold fluids (Trent can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall this being a concern).
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dehydration is a greater risk for hypothermia than drinking cold drinks unless the drinks are very very cold.
              Thanks everyone, I suppose it is just habit that I have been running with my bottle and my fluid loss isn't that high to justify it...it is more a "comfort blanket".

Jerry
              A runners blog-updated daily

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Thanks everyone, I suppose it is just habit that I have been running with my bottle and my fluid loss isn't that high to justify it...it is more a "comfort blanket".
                I went for a 17 mile long run yesterday (15-19 degrees) and my drinks were totally frozen by halfway through the run - I couldn't even open the bottles because the water froze the tops closed. You can measure your fluid loss before and after the run by weighing yourself, and see if it's enough to justify it. I figure I'm still sweating (though not nearly as much), and I'm not that great at hydrating myself in between runs, so it's probably a good idea for me if I plan to be out there a while. I was sipping ice clumps before the water froze over completely and didn't think much of it.

I was sipping ice clumps before the water froze over completely and didn't think much of it.
                  I just wrote an article about how to avoid that: http://news.runtowin.com/2007/12/16/moderating-water-temperature-in-extreme-conditions.html

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

chrimbler

I live on the prairies in Canada, and I would not dream of going on a 10+mile run without water. So here's what you do when it's cold (my definition of cold is a little lower than yours Smile ) Put warm water into your bottle!...see that was easy Big grin My bottle is a single style held in a fanny pack type of belt thing, it holds about 500ml I think, if you add some Gatorade etc it will also retard the freezing process. But starting out with warm to hottish water and the small amount of bouncing theses bottles do in the samll of you back I have been able to run for 2 hours at -25*C (not sure what that is in F) and still not freeze up. And yes it is just as important to take on water when it is cold, and don't worry about hypothermia, your body is at work so the fires are burning. I set my Garmin to beep every 10 mins and then I take a mouthful, seems to work for me...
                    Run like you stole it!
                      Dehydration is a greater risk for hypothermia than drinking cold drinks unless the drinks are very very cold.
                      Agreed. Not drinking in cold temps can be quite dangerous. The difficulty of melting and maintaining liquid water gets a lot of mountaineers in trouble... which is more my background. I did a 6 hour run last weekend in 0F to 20F temps and drank the whole day. chrimbler's advice is great too... fill your bottles with hot water. I ran with two handhelds. One was filled with warm water, one with hot water. I drank the warm water first, then finished off w/ the hot (which had cooled considerably by then). Repeat at each aid station/gas station/etc One of my running partners suggested that a little whiskey can keep your bottles from freezing too Big grin