Watch out for that VAN! Runners dodge speeding van crash. (video) (Read 183 times)

It was on CNN this morning.  Scary video but maybe something to help us runners here be more aware of the dangers out there.  Everyone BE CAREFUL.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/us/2013/04/26/pkg-joggers-near-miss-van-crash.wcbs

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

A Saucy Wench

I've had a couple near misses.  I turned and sprinted away from an intersection a couple years ago.  A dangerously polite Oregon driver had already started crossing a highway when he saw me on the walking path and stopped in the middle of the highway to let me cross the street he was on.  Completely unaware of the semi barrelling toward him at 70 mph.

And I was crossing at a crosswalk with a light when the stopped car I was in front of got rear-ended...fortunately the driver at fault saw it coming and laid on the horn and I didnt take the time to look, I just sprinted.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe 3 years ago I had a Charter Cable van run me off the road...driver was texting and wandered over onto the gravel shoulder.  He never saw me.  I jumped into a snowbank to avoid being hit.  When I called Charter to complain they claimed they could not determine the driver (which is utter BS...this was out in BFE and it would have been quite easy for them to determine who would have been out that way), but they did try to talk me into upgrading services. Roll eyes

There have been a few occasions where I've seen cars slide off the icy/snowy road <.25 mile ahead of me...that always sort of freaks me out.  If I'd been out the door a minute or two earlier I would have been in their path.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I remember being stuck at the intersection of Golf and Harms Road when the Dodge Sebring tried making a left in it.  That's when a Corolla decided to beat the light and put the pedal to the metal and nailed the Sebring. I wasn't close to getting hit, the Sebring did start flying towards me, after it got hit though.  The old lady driving the Sebring was taken away in a ambulance.  The Corolla driver walked away from it.   And probably got the ticket too, especially after what I told the cops Wink I could only take so many pics with my cell phone cuz Illinois has this goofy law about not being allowed to take pictures of cops at an accident scene.  I guess they don't want everybody to know what a great job they're doing. Wink

I could only take so many pics with my cell phone cuz Illinois has this goofy law about not being allowed to take pictures of cops at an accident scene.  I guess they don't want everybody to know what a great job they're doing. Wink

How does RedBird know these laws so well Smile.  Funny.

If you were to be ticketed for taking pictures of police officers at an accident scene, would you get a lawyer and would the lawyer prevent you from being a criminal?  Not sure about Illinois law.  Maybe Berner could help clarify.

(In all seriousness, though, wishing you the best this coming week).
            Cheers,
            Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Crazy stuff can happens on the road.

ALWAYS run on the left.

Leave the headphones at home.

It doesn't matter if you're in right, it matters if you're in a coffin or not.

I would be dead several times over if I ignored these rules.  Thankfully where I live now the close calls are far, far more infrequent.  Even so, ~4 years ago I had a guy in a pickup daydream and come off the road onto a nonexistent shoulder at me in broad daylight on a straight road where he should have seen me half a mile away but never did.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

It doesn't matter if you're in right, it matters if you're in a coffin or not.

Yeah...this. See sig line.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

How does RedBird know these laws so well Smile.  Funny.

If you were to be ticketed for taking pictures of police officers at an accident scene, would you get a lawyer and would the lawyer prevent you from being a criminal?  Not sure about Illinois law.  Maybe Berner could help clarify.

(In all seriousness, though, wishing you the best this coming week).
                  Cheers,
                  Brian

I didn't know that law until the cop told me about it.   I found it ridiculous, but I do obey it.  I have heard talk about it being overturned though. When the cop was writing me the ticket for trespassing I was tempted to start taking pictures.  I didn't want to do anything though to put him in a bad mood, which he must have been in, before he detained me.

zonykel

ALWAYS run on the left.

I try to run against traffic whenever possible.  In this month's running times, Pete McGill has a list of 10 things he doesn't like about running (or something like that). Things like being sore all the time, dogs attacking you, etc. I can understand. But he has one about people who tell him to run against traffic. I don't get why he defends running with traffic. It puts you at a disadvantage.

i would caution against following rules blindly. If traffic is going 50 mph, it doesn't matter which side of the road you are on. You should be running elsewhere. And have an escape route. It does you no good to run against traffic if you're going to be pinned against a parked car or a wall, or even a fence.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think it help to state the rule:  "Run facing the oncoming traffic."  Sounds better than "run against traffic".

L Train

But he has one about people who tell him to run against traffic. I don't get why he defends running with traffic. It puts you at a disadvantage. 

I also run against traffic and disagree with Mr. McGill on this, mostly because of people distracted driving and veering off to the right.  I want to see that coming.

However, having had countless incidents (I'd guess 2 per month at least and I've had as many as 3 on a single run) of having a car making a right turn onto the road which I am running and would have taken me out if I hadn't changed direction, I can understand the point.  Cars almost NEVER seem to look right before they turn right.

Prince of Fatness

Cars almost NEVER seem to look right before they turn right.

Neither do drivers.

Not at it at all. 

I could only take so many pics with my cell phone cuz Illinois has this goofy law about not being allowed to take pictures of cops at an accident scene.  I guess they don't want everybody to know what a great job they're doing. Wink

I believe the ACLU is challenging this law in court. There's an excellent chance it won't survive judicial review.

Edit: Turns out the Illinois law is already toast. A federal court struck it down, and the Supreme Court refused to review the case.

mikeymike

Magill.

Runners run

L Train

Mawhocares.